Windows 10: Unstable system

Discus and support Unstable system in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am so fed up with my laptop! Nothing but problems since I bought it!!! For some odd reason my system is not stable at all. I was discussing some of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jayv2251, Jun 26, 2016.

1. jayv2251 Win User

Unstable system

I am so fed up with my laptop! Nothing but problems since I bought it!!! For some odd reason my system is not stable at all. I was discussing some of this in conjunction with another issue I'm having (setting up making an iso of windows 10 before the end of July deadline happens).

I don't recall whom told me about it, but there is a system stability monitor buried within Windows 10. I ran that a few times, (actually forgot how to now), and my system has a rated stability of around 3-4 on a scale of 1-10. The two main issues, while reading through Facebook, Internet Explorer crashes on me and I have to reload IE then go back to Facebook again. OR....they computer completely crashes and the screen goes black and totally locks up forcing me to hit the power button to reboot it. I hate doing this because I know it's scrambling my system up ever time I do that.

I have a bought and registered a copy of System Mechanic Premium installed. It's fixed a few problems I really don't fell like it's doing it's job if I keep crashing like I have been. What else can I do to make my laptop more stable? Heck, I'm really ticked off with Toshiba. I've already had to reinstall Windows 8.1 4-5 times now, then upgrade that to Win10. This one of the reasons I want the ISO of Windows 10 so I can do a completely clean install and not have any of the preloaded junk that Toshiba throws in with the recovery disks I made the day I bought it. For some odd reason, even though I've set it to do restore points, when I tried to do that today, said there was none! *Sad

:)

jayv2251, Jun 26, 2016
  2. F1100 Win User

unstable system - activesync?

I am using device centre with an O2 PDA and Windows Mobile 6 pro (CE os 5.2.1236). Problem is that if I connect the PDA to PC (it auto syncs) if I disconnect the PDA becomes unstable and very slow. Sometimes it doesnt even start. The only way to fix it
    is a soft reset but this is tiresome. I can only assume that Windows becomes unstable.

Is this a typical Windows problem or is there some issue with the device?

O2 PDA

F1100, Jun 26, 2016
  3. F1100 Win User
    unstable system - activesync?

I understand this issue but even when there is no syncing going on if I disconnect it will be OK for for a little while and then it will become progressively worse. Sometimes it will not come back on without a reset. I have tried terminating activesync
    but this does not help.

O2 PDA

F1100, Jun 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Unstable system

Hi.
    First of all, I wouldn't be using Internet Explorer, but the stability issues you're having seem to be pretty abundant. I'm sure a clean install would resolve most, if not all, of your problems.

Once installed and activated on a system, Windows 10 can be reinstalled as many times as you want/need, without having to go through the upgrade process over and over again.

If you are ready to clean install, and all your data is backed up, you can download the ISO from MSTechBench.
    Tech Bench

Then, use RUFUS to create a bootable USB stick for the installation.
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Download ShowKeyPlus to grab your W8 keycode, if you don't have it written down.
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Boot to the USB stick, and select custom installation. Delete all partitions on the operating system drive, so that it shows as "unallocated space". Then begin your install. When/if it asks for a key, select "I don't have a key". After the installation is complete, check if the system is activated. It should be, as you've already had W10 on the thing. If not, give it a couple reboots and check again.

Be sure to turn on System Restore (it's off by default), and turn off Fast Startup.
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck.

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    simrick,
    pardon me for butting in here, but why would you turn off fast start up?
    thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Jun 26, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi Sven.
    Fast Startup sometimes prevents things from completely settling in. I like to turn it off after a clean install, an upgrade install, or major WU. Some things (usually drivers) just need it. You can always turn it back on later. It's difficult to explain, but hopefully this will help:

To understand what this is/does (it was first introduced in Windows 8):
    “Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system information) to the hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC. This also makes the hiberfil.sys file to be much smaller than what hibernate would use (often 4GB or more). When you start your PC again, Windows 8 uses that saved system information to resume your system instead of having to do a cold boot to fully restart it. Using this technique with boot gives a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems tested). If you have a motherboard with UEFI, then fast startup will be even faster.”

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  7. Have you tried Face Book through Windows 10
    It should install when you download and upgrade to 10
    You will find it in the Apps Section.
    I use Edge but Find that Face Book is a lot more stable via Windows 10 than going through any other Browser
    Also that is one reason why I got rid of IE11 as it kept crashing
    I use Auslogics or Ccleaner to keep my Toshiba Running fast as when I tried System Mechanic I found it a load of rubbish.
    Also make sure you do a Defrag as that will keep your laptop running as it should.
    Ccleaner has a Systems Restore you can use I find it better than the built in one

hTconeM9user, Jun 26, 2016
  8. Sven1458 Win User

Unstable system

simrick,
    thanks for the clarification.
    I have fast boot enabled, and never had a problem, but I might just be lucky
    Sven

Sven1458, Jun 26, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Yes, for some systems it makes no difference, for others it makes all the difference. Just have to try it and find out. *Wink

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  10. Windows 10 - Clean Install

Unstable system [​IMG]
    Warning Before you get started installing Windows 10, be sure that you temporarily disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot in your UEFI firmware settings until finished. Some motherboards do not support booting from a USB flash drive with these enabled.

Once installation has finished, you can enable Secure Boot and Fast Boot again if you like.

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2016
  11. Sven1458 Win User
    Slartybart,
    I read that when I was installing w 10, but the post above said to disable after install.
    That is what prompted my response, since I never had a problem
    Sven

Sven1458, Jun 26, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Secure Boot/Fast Boot are different - they are in your BIOS settings. Fast Startup is in the Operating System itself.

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  13. Unstable system

Right you are *Wink
    I might have posted in the wrong thread ... thinking this was an install issue ... my apologies.

I do agree that Fast Startup is better turned off to test a system. No worries about stuff being saved to / restored from the hibernation file.

Slartybart, Jun 26, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Yes, I think it was Sven who was confusing the fast boot with fast startup. *Smile

simrick, Jun 27, 2016
  15. I don't think my post helped though *Smile

Hey ... has anybody seen jayv2251, the Thread Starter?

Slartybart, Jun 27, 2016
Thema:

Unstable system

1. Unstable system - Similar Threads - Unstable system

2. Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer: Hello,Recently my system has been getting progressively worse. This started at the end of February. But, just today alone when I look in the event viewer I have had hundreds of errors saying "The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3...
  3. Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer: Hello,Recently my system has been getting progressively worse. This started at the end of February. But, just today alone when I look in the event viewer I have had hundreds of errors saying "The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3...
  4. Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10: Hello I have following problem:I have had 12 restarts in 2 days, the PC just restarts while in use or idle and the same event id is shown in the event log. I am not sure if this is related to the fact that I have been rearranging my HDDs as to have everything organized. I...
  5. Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10

Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10: Hello I have following problem:I have had 12 restarts in 2 days, the PC just restarts while in use or idle and the same event id is shown in the event log. I am not sure if this is related to the fact that I have been rearranging my HDDs as to have everything organized. I...
  6. System is unstable, having BSOD. Can anyone help? DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System is unstable, having BSOD. Can anyone help? DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE...: I built a new PC with all new components and I bought a new Win11 Pro, and I had some system instability which started when playing some games, which started as slowing PC, and then BSOD.Since BSODs became frequent reformatted the SSD and put Win11 again, but since then the...
  7. System is unstable, having BSOD. Can anyone help? DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE...

System is unstable, having BSOD. Can anyone help? DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE...: I built a new PC with all new components and I bought a new Win11 Pro, and I had some system instability which started when playing some games, which started as slowing PC, and then BSOD.Since BSODs became frequent reformatted the SSD and put Win11 again, but since then the...
  8. Problem using Media Creation Tool on unstable system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem using Media Creation Tool on unstable system: Hi, my system is unstable and I'd like to do a clean install but I only have the DVD for Windows 7 Ultimate - I upgraded to 10 Pro as part of the free offer.I tried to create an installation USB using the Media Creation Tool, but it sticks at 0% because my network status is...
  9. Problem using Media Creation Tool on unstable system

Problem using Media Creation Tool on unstable system: Hi, my system is unstable and I'd like to do a clean install but I only have the DVD for Windows 7 Ultimate - I upgraded to 10 Pro as part of the free offer.I tried to create an installation USB using the Media Creation Tool, but it sticks at 0% because my network status is...
  10. Problem using Media Creation Tool on unstable system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade