Windows 10: Unstable Wifi connection, but LAN is absolutely fine

Discus and support Unstable Wifi connection, but LAN is absolutely fine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Have been trying to fix this problem myself for a while now but it has got unworkable and I just can't figure it out. I have two computers in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nickfrancis, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Unstable Wifi connection, but LAN is absolutely fine

Hi
    Have been trying to fix this problem myself for a while now but it has got unworkable and I just can't figure it out.

I have two computers in the house - desktop is connected to router (D-Link DIR-655) via Cat5e, laptop via wifi.

I work from home a lot and the laptop is my work computer - my office is next door to the router so it has one brick wall to go through but nothing significant.

My issue is that my laptop continually drops and reconnects the wifi. To the point where I can't even get a single web page to load. It's also utterly inconsistent - sometimes it stays up for a bit and other times (like this morning) it is just unworkable.

Also quite often it causes the wifi to entirely fail - phone shows no wifi network and runs on 4G and I have to reboot the router. Had to do this upward of 10 times yesterday.

I've troubleshooted, I've tried updating & rolling back drivers, I've tested cables between modem & router (have FTTC with PlusNet), I've contacted PlusNet who confirmed the problem was somewhere inside the house.

I don't have any spare routers with which to test if it is the router, but my desktop which is on LAN doesn't have any connectivity issues at all.

Also phones don't tend to have much issue with wifi unless at furthest corners of the house.

It's got to the point where working from home is getting unmanageable unless I work outside of my office and plug into the router, which is tricky cos I have the kids running around the house.

Can't move the router as rented house and landlady said no.

Completely run out of ideas but would love if anyone has any ideas or insight at all.

Thanks

Nick

:)

nickfrancis, Aug 15, 2017

2. Wifi driver crashes after using sometime

Greetings,

My wifi works fine, but the wifi driver keeps crashing after sometime. i mean i can't turn on the wifi after it crashers, there is no wifi signal and the wifi icon changes to lan with red (no wifi/lan) but when i connect it to LAN cable lan works fine, i try
    to turn on the wifi from settings but it doesn't happen.

What i have tried:

1. troubleshooting.

2. airplane mode on then off (wifi driver still doesn't work)

3. manually updating the driver from device management

but none of this worked, i have to restart my laptop to get the wifi driver working again.

Mukul_Chauhan, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Wifi connected but no surfing

Cant browse any site on wifi though the computer is connected to wifi router and router is working absolutely fine. There is no problem with ISP. Browsing happens when i connect through ethernet cable.

Anuraagkochar, Aug 15, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Unstable Wifi connection, but LAN is absolutely fine

I don't know how well you know how wifi works but a lot of things can interfere with the wifi signal such as walls, metal in walls, electrical cabling inside the walls, microwaves and fridges can also cause interference.

How old is the modem and what wifi version is it? Such as G, N or AC.

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly tech savvy. There's nothing significant in the walls between me & the router, & it's on the other side of the house from the kitchen.

Router is approx. 7/8 years old and the wifi is G & N.

Edit: have checked router firmware & am on latest version. Have also run an SSID scanner and am on the best channel for interference (Channel 1)

6. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    If your on plusnet you can get a brand new router for cost of the postage about £5 a router that old will struggle with modern encryption

Samuria, Aug 15, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Thanks for the info Samuria, I'm not a plusnet user so wasn't aware of this offer. I would certainly consider doing this @nickfrancis.

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  9. Thanks folks. I did get a newer one from Plusnet - they now use a rebadged BT HomeHub. Unfortunately it has several downsides - you can't change the DNS (currently use opendns) & you can't have a separate guest wifi - both of which I need as a youth worker because I have young people round who use the wifi. Don't want them accessing content they shouldn't and don't want them to have access to my own network and files etc.

Currently don't have the funds for a new router - saving up for a new tooth instead! Looks like I'm stuck with flaky wifi until then....

10. Samuria Win User
    Are yoy on fibre or dsl their latest router is ac not a home hub you can set opendns on your pc

Samuria, Aug 15, 2017
  11. I'm on FTTC. I can set OpenDNS on my PC, but that doesn't help when there's a bunch of people coming in using their own tablets/phones/laptops. It's one of the big criticisms I've seen of the new Plusnet router.

nickfrancis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unstable Wifi connection, but LAN is absolutely fine - Similar Threads - Unstable Wifi connection

2. Share WiFi connection to LAN AcessPoint

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share WiFi connection to LAN AcessPoint: I want to share my internet connection I receive via WiFi with my access point, which is connected to my PC via LAN. When trying to share my connection via "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections"-Properties-Sharing-Allow other network users to connect through...
  3. Unstable wifi connection

Unstable wifi connection: My wifi connection is constantly unstable since the august update with segments of no internet every other 30 seconds to a minute despite the wifi connection appearing as strong during these segments. Originally, it was worse - but after turning off the option for the adapter...
  4. Wifi connection problem , it is unstable and keeps disconnecting

Wifi connection problem , it is unstable and keeps disconnecting: i want to ask about new bugs or any error in the recent update of wifi, as i keep disconnecting and connecting on wifi and it says as "you can`t connect tot this network" i had and due to this I do have uninstalled the driver and re-installed it. but keeps disconnecting...
  5. Unstable WiFi connection

Unstable WiFi connection: My Dell Inspiron14 is one of 3 laptops connected to my WiFi system and has a problem with the connection to the router. The other laptops are fine, so it is not a router problem. After operating fine for 10 minutes or 50 minutes irregular, my laptop shows that the WiFi...
  6. Unstable Connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unstable Connection: Using W10 1909 lastest KB i cant run a stable connection with this internet adapter TL-WN8200ND V2 I've tried everything and i think this is a incompatibility issue. Already used it with W7 with a stable connection. submitted by /u/Meffecter [link] [comments]...
  7. WiFi connection very unstable.

WiFi connection very unstable.: Hi, I have an HP 250 G3 laptop running with Windows 10. The problem is with the wifi connection, it falls out too often, every five minuts more or less. I uninstalled the WiFi adapter and installed it again several times already, and it's updated too. Can anybody help,...
  8. WiFi Connectivity unstable on Windows 10 Computer

WiFi Connectivity unstable on Windows 10 Computer: Brand new Lenovo laptop, wi-fi really unstable. Lasts sometimes for hours, and sometimes for only a few seconds, and then drops, ans is slow to come back. I have tried EVERY SINGLE TRICK published here! High-end PC is useless because of this nonsense. What to do now?...
  9. Unstable LAN connection

Unstable LAN connection: Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, but in the desperate search for some help and answers, I hope somebody here can help me. Google seams hopeless at this point. I have a server running Windows 10 Pro. All my other devices on my LAN works without any problem. I don't know where...
  10. Secure connections to computers from outside LAN are unstable

Secure connections to computers from outside LAN are unstable: I have four computers in my apartment that I regularly connect to from outside my network. I forwarded the ports on my router, set up my asuscomm DNS, and everything worked well for months. Then, last week all four computers simultaneously stopped accepting remote desktop...