Windows 10: 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI

Discus and support 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Sometime in the fall I started getting Windows 10 update errors trying to install 1607 (the anniversary update I believe). After trying different fixes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DarkMage530, May 3, 2017.

1. 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI

Sometime in the fall I started getting Windows 10 update errors trying to install 1607 (the anniversary update I believe). After trying different fixes I just ignored it for a while hoping windows would come up with a fix. 6 months later and I'd like to finally resolved this issue once and for all.

'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI [​IMG]
    Windows Update Failure

I found I can use msinfo32 from the cmd shell to see my BIOS Mode which indicates I'm in UEFI

So I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I did some funky things when I first built and installed Windows on this computer about a year ago. I have a 3TB Hard Drive and a 500GB SSD. And I found out I wasn't able to use all 3TB without using a GPT. Found some guide online followed the steps and fixed that issue.

I think there was an issue after that where the 3TB hard drive had the Boot part on it, and I followed some other guide to get my SSD to be the boot drive. But I think what I did then has put something in a weird state thats causing the update issue above.

Heres the Partitions

And heres using diskpart

Looking at other peoples partitions when using UEFI and GPT they have some partitions I don't have. Like MSR, System, Recovery etc... but mine just has the one single Primary partition. Recommended UEFI-Based Disk-Partition Configurations What I also find weird is that my boot partition is Disk 1 instead of Disk 0. If I unplug the HDD and boot the computer, then the SSD becomes Drive 0 but the update still fails.

Unfortunately I'm in that place where I'm competent enough to get myself in trouble fiddling with things but not always knowledgeable enough to get myself out of it. So any help would be appreciated.

I would like to be able to get windows updates working again and preferably without reinstalling everything. Is that possible and if so how can I go about doing that?

If there is any other information I can provide that would help in resolving this issue let me know.

Thank you very much!

:)

DarkMage530, May 3, 2017

2. Windows 10

I get the message-- Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. How do I fix this?

RichardMankel, May 3, 2017
  3. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

I also tried upgrading from 10240 via Windows Update, to see which version it would try to install. It went right from 10240 to 16299.15 (from version 1507 to version 1709) so there is no intermediate version required, even via Windows Update.

Using the ISO was a much smoother path though, as 10240 first struggled through installing several Cumulative Updates and it also took two attempts to finally succeed in the upgrade to version 1709. Below is the list of updates that build 10240 went for.
    You can see that it immediately began downloading Windows 10 version 1709. Because build 10240 does not use UUP, it was the original Windows 10 upgrade style, where it downloaded a single full ESD file for version 1709.

Don Cuthbert, May 3, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI

It looks to me that you don't have a UEFI install you have an MBR (legacy) install. In your BIOS what is listed as your primary boot device

essenbe, May 3, 2017
  5. I took two pictures from my BIOS
    First from the main default mode

Second, Going to 'Advanced Mode' and the Boot Tab

So you can have a UEFI BIOS Mode without having a UEFI install?

Thanks for the quick reply!

DarkMage530, May 3, 2017
  6. essenbe Win User
    It seems you have a UEFI install. The system is set to boot from Windows Boot manager which is a UEFI install. Yet, your C drive is an active partition, which is not typical of a UEFI install. Perhaps your Partition structure is the reason you are having issues. This is my partition structure for a typical UEFI Install.

In the command prompt, partition 5 is not part of the OS install.

essenbe, May 3, 2017
  7. Is the C drive not supposed to be the 'Active' partition? I don't see an 'Active' status in your disk management.

Is it possible to fix the partition structure or am I going to have to do a clean install to fix it? It looks like I should be able to shrink my SSD so I should be able to create some new partitions from it. Can I set those for the Recovery, EFI System Partition, etc...?

DarkMage530, May 3, 2017
  8. essenbe Win User

I'm going to have to let someone else help with that. My advice would be to clean install.

essenbe, May 3, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    locational
    That is most definitely NOT a UEFI installation - it is a legacy bios installation.

OP - follow tutorial to convert current ssd from a legacy bios installation to a UEFI installation, and then you will be able to boot from it in UEFI mode and upgrade accordingly.

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  10. essenbe Win User
    @cereberus, My first reply was that it was not a UEFI install. I realize the partition structure is very wrong and a UEFI has no active partition. But, looking at his boot options, he has Windows Boot Manager selected as an option. I have never seen a Legacy install with Windows Boot Manager as an option. Just wondering how it got that way. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, in fact I agree. The Windows Boot Manager threw me and I was wondering how it got that way.

essenbe, May 3, 2017
  11. I'm about to go to bed so one last response till tomorrow.
    @Cerberus that link looks promising. I only glanced through it but the first thing that jumped out to me though is the warning that says

I'm currently on 1511. Like I said I haven't dug through that link thoroughly yet but is there instructions on how to do the 'offline conversion' to run that tool since I'm unable to upgrade from version 1511 at the moment. Thanks!
    @essenbe thanks for the help so far!

DarkMage530, May 3, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    You create a 1607 installation drive on another pc and boot from that.

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

I expect it tries to use windows boot manager and fails and then tries a legacy bios start - that is what my PC does. i expect OP had a uefi install on hdd originally but erroneously installed legacy bios on ssd.

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  14. 1607 works? or just 1703

Also sorry if this sounds really dumb but how do you boot from a drive on another pc? I have a laptop thats on 1607 or 1703 (haven't checked yet) which I could use, just not sure how I'd use it to boot my pc with.

DarkMage530, May 3, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would install Macrium Reflect Free. Make a backup image of your C: drive to your D: drive. Boot the computer in UEFI mode from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive. Select the custom install option, delete every partition on the SSD and install Windows 10 to the resulting unallocated space.

That should set you up with a GPT partitioned SSD and the proper partitions to boot in UEFI. Then re-install Macrium Reflect Free. Use the option to create a Macrium Reflect Boot Menu entry. Boot into the Macrium Reflect rescue environment. Restore the C: drive image you previously created back to the SSD, replacing ONLY the C: drive partition. Run the Fix Windows boot problems utility in Macrium Reflect.

Reboot - you should then be able to update.

NavyLCDR, May 3, 2017
Thema:

1. 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI - Similar Threads - 'Unsupported Disk Layout

2. Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 cannot be installed due to "unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware": Hi,I've tried to install the new Dinwos 11 Version 22H2 but am receiving the message above. I've run the WhyNotWin11 and it doesn't seem to show anything related to disk layout, and states that secure boot is on.I've also checked my drives and they're all GPT.Any help would...
  3. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: I wasn't able to update my windows because it stated that the disk layout was unsupported. I have 1903 but have no idea what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware/5db915ea-310f-48ea-9fad-6dd8b0409a91
  4. Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: My PC failed to update windows 10 version 1903, showing the problem like my subject. Wonder how I can update my system (I'm also still using windows 10, version 1803 now)....
  5. UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.

UEFI : The disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported.: Windows won't update and I get the above message. This is my Windows info [ATTACH] What do I need to fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-the-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware-isnt/1a7e5683-4863-4c1f-b2e9-89e6918e8135
  6. The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported

The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported: When I was about to install the latest update for Windows 10 64bits I received the message: The Disk layout for UEFI firmware not supported. How I can fix that? I have Windows 10 working on Samsung MV 2 But all work fine....
  7. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110420
  8. disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk.: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110417
  9. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware: BIOS is set to boot Legacy. Here are the two prior threads getting me from being patently annoyed with 1703 being chronically hung on a quality update to where I am now. The first one is a long read and the summary is, lots of trainwreckage, machine boots in Legacy....
  10. Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot upgrade due to unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: This problem is driving me nuts. *Confused I've had Win10 installed for ages and no problems until Upgrade 1511 came along. How come Windows 10 worked all that time and now refuses to upgrade? Can anyone provide a fix for this problem: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home,...