Windows 10: Unused File Extension

Discus and support Unused File Extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Once in a while I run CCleaner. When running Registry cleaner I encounter several "Unused File Extensions" entries. What app create these entries and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aliskander, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Unused File Extension

Once in a while I run CCleaner.
    When running Registry cleaner I encounter several "Unused File Extensions" entries.
    What app create these entries and why?
    thanks for any answer.

:)

aliskander, Nov 16, 2017

2. can't change folder name

if you change a file name extension may become unusable

vasilisnikolo, Nov 16, 2017
  3. When will Microsoft Edge allow file extensions?

As the title states, When will Edge allow file extensions such as Nortons Vault, Etc.

Also, Since I cannot use edge, Why does internet explorer 11constantly crash, freeze or otherwise become unusable?

not happy one, Nov 16, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Unused File Extension

These are file extensions that are no longer used, as they may have been associated with removed Malware, or other programs that have been uninstalled, deleted or no longer used.
    However, we do not suggest using CCleaner's Registry Cleaner, or any other Registry Cleaner or Optimizer software for that matter. These usually cause more problems then they fix. Many of the threads on here start with "I ran this Registry Cleaner and now my computer won't...."

spunk, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Sometimes they are just text files that have the same name, but the extensions(letters assigned after the period/point) are different, so a program can call up the subroutine.

Like:

Routine dothis
    call up dothis.xyz
    if dothis.xyz =0
    then call dothis.abc
    if dothis =1
    then call dothat.xyz
    and so on

You can see this when looking at an installed 3rd party program and copying the file to the desktop and changing the extension to .txt.

Here is an example of a .dll I change to .txt it's not readable though with out another program like Resource Hacker.

Unused File Extension [​IMG]

Cliff S, Nov 16, 2017
  6. thanks for your answer and for the advice re registry cleaners in general.
    much appreciated.

aliskander, Nov 16, 2017
  7. Pirx Win User
    Just to add to the chorus: Never, ever, use any program that claims to "clean" your registry. They always cause more harm than good. There is no need to "clean" the registry.

Pirx, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unused File Extension

1. Unused File Extension - Similar Threads - Unused File Extension

2. file extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file extensions: Hello İ have win 11 installed and first thing I see is i can't open files like .iso .py etc.when I look at these files types it says like Windows.IsoFile for iso files and Python.File on .py files and it's really annoyingcan anyone help me how to fix it i put some examples on...
  3. file extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file extensions: Hello İ have win 11 installed and first thing I see is i can't open files like .iso .py etc.when I look at these files types it says like Windows.IsoFile for iso files and Python.File on .py files and it's really annoyingcan anyone help me how to fix it i put some examples on...
  4. Files with no extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no extension: Hello, I have several files with no extension. Under file type, it just says "file". I'm not sure what happened tom change that. I recently downloaded Windows 11, if that means anything. My question is, is there any way I can add an extension to a file that would make it...
  5. Files with no extension

Files with no extension: Hello, I have several files with no extension. Under file type, it just says "file". I'm not sure what happened tom change that. I recently downloaded Windows 11, if that means anything. My question is, is there any way I can add an extension to a file that would make it...
  6. File extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File extensions: My antivirus software kaspersky has changed some file extensions in outlook - pptx has become ppt_ and xlsx has become xls_ I have resolved this but it has changed file extensions on many email attachments that I still need. I want to open these attachments but cannot...
  7. File extensions

File extensions: I downloaded some files from the internet and it won't allow me to change their file extensions note: i already tick the unhide file extension under folder options. The files are just greyed out and changing the file extensions just reverts them back to their original file...
  8. File extensions.

File extensions.: Can someone please tell me what extension I need to add to a screenshot of an "Administrator: Command Prompt" file in order to get it to upload? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extensions/9f112de0-bf26-4c53-b0c0-7847c4503296"
  9. file extension

file extension: hi, i don't know why but when i'm trying to set .pas extension by PASCAL app it is not sett, i'm trying again and again but nothing is received https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extension/9a8a6899-ad06-4c39-a55d-06371f2ec60d
  10. File extension

in Windows 10 Support
    File extension: How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899