Windows 10: Unusual locking up situation on Dell laptop running Win10

Discus and support Unusual locking up situation on Dell laptop running Win10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Beginning in early August 2018 (about a week ago), my daughter's Dell laptop running Win10 experiences an odd freeze up: seemingly at random, a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kevpilot, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Kevpilot Win User

Unusual locking up situation on Dell laptop running Win10

Beginning in early August 2018 (about a week ago), my daughter's Dell laptop running Win10 experiences an odd freeze up: seemingly at random, a couple of applications will rapidly open & close windows, effectively locking up the whole laptop. Usually, this is the Windows Store and either the Calculator or File Explorer. Virtually everything she does is in the browser, Chrome, with few locally installed apps used or even running.

When it happens, the mouse becomes almost entirely unresponsive. Even when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and try to log out, the system is essentially unusable. My only remedy is to hold the power button for a hard power down. This feels like a driver issue to me but the diags I've run seem to disagree.

I've checked:

• Windows update & I am current
    • Dell diagnostics and driver updates and it wants to upgrade:
      • Wireless driver
      • BIOS

This happens pretty readily when she logs in under her ID. It has yet to fail when I'm logged on under my ID.

I'm looking forward to your input.

:)

Kevpilot, Aug 10, 2018
  2. Josie23 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

These 7 steps allowed me to disable my touchpad (Dell laptop, Windows 10):

• Win Start button
    • Type in "device manager"
    • Select Device Manager to open it
    • Click down arrow to left of "Mice and other..." to expand
    • Right click Dell Touchpad
    • Disable device
    • Yes

Unusual locking up situation on Dell laptop running Win10 [​IMG]

Josie23, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

Support | Dell Deutschland

Namslas90, Aug 10, 2018
  4. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Unusual locking up situation on Dell laptop running Win10 - Similar Threads - Unusual locking situation

2. Laptop unusual shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop unusual shutdown: Hello everyone, im a lenovo laptop user that have this problem. My problem is that my laptop just dont turn off how it should be. It's taking longer time in shutting down screen. And shows black screen for atleast a min after shutting fown and will turn off after. It's also...
  3. Laptop unusual shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop unusual shutdown: Hello everyone, im a lenovo laptop user that have this problem. My problem is that my laptop just dont turn off how it should be. It's taking longer time in shutting down screen. And shows black screen for atleast a min after shutting fown and will turn off after. It's also...
  4. Unusual dual monitor display/Video situation -

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Unusual dual monitor display/Video situation -: Unusual display/Video situation - 1)...I use the older Windows XP Pro and use two monitors. 2)...I have the display(s) set to use "monitor 1" as my "primary desktop" (task-bar at bottom, etc). 3)...I have the display(s) set to use "monitor 2 " as my "extended desktop"....
  5. Unusual dual monitor display/Video situation -

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Unusual dual monitor display/Video situation -: Unusual display/Video situation - 1)...I use the older Windows XP Pro and use two monitors. 2)...I have the display(s) set to use "monitor 1" as my "primary desktop" (task-bar at bottom, etc). 3)...I have the display(s) set to use "monitor 2 " as my "extended desktop"....
  6. Older dell laptop keeps locking

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Older dell laptop keeps locking: Ok so I have a old dell 7737 laptop and for some reason it keeps locking for no reason or randomly going into sleep mode everyone thing is up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-dell-laptop-keeps-locking/4cf44bac-33d9-4361-b76a-a7a63280e33e
  7. Taskbar locked in Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar locked in Dell laptop: Dear Microsoft. Please advise me i have locked the taskbar and it was frozen how to unlock it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-locked-in-dell-laptop/5d8440e0-d1c4-4ce2-8ef0-3dd0b26b3858
  8. Unusual file running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusual file running: I discovered a file called "AmbiguousSHCommunity.exe" running on my computer. I can't find any reference to this file anywhere. I can't delete it and can't remove it from the registry. [ATTACH]...
  9. locked out of Dell laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    locked out of Dell laptop: I am locked out of dell laptop. When I start computer, I get a blue rectangular login, but when I put in the password, system won't accept it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locked-out-of-dell-laptop/54866759-c356-4763-87d1-f9fd0e7d7095
  10. Dell laptop locks up

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell laptop locks up: I have a Dell E6500 which locks up when left idle for some period of time. This computer was sold new with Vista. When I bought it used it came with Windows 7 Professional. I have since upgraded it to Windows 10 Professional. I have had this problem running both 7...