Windows 10: Unwanted SSD Encryption

Discus and support Unwanted SSD Encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop has a Crucial MX100 SSD. Recent erratic system behavior (apparently malware) forced action. I first did a Reset. The problems persisted. So I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by claytoncarney, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Unwanted SSD Encryption

My laptop has a Crucial MX100 SSD. Recent erratic system behavior (apparently malware) forced action. I first did a Reset. The problems persisted. So I backed up user data and performed a clean install. However, the problems soon reappeared. So I sanitized the disk and performed a clean install. System seems stable now, however...

To my dismay, I have discovered that Windows turned on drive TCG encryption during the last clean install (of course, without telling me or giving an option *Mad). Most of the information I've seen about TCG encryption refers to BitLocker. However, I have the Home Edition, which AFAIK, does not support BitLocker. Also, AFAIK, the Device Encryption feature is only available if you sign with a MS Account; I only use local accounts. So I'm confused as to how this mess happened in the first place. I'm using Legacy BIOS, do not have Secure Boot enable, nor was I ever prompted for an encryption password. WTF?

I know for a fact that before the last clean install the drive was NOT encrypted (documentation states that TCG-enabled drives cannot be sanitized). I have always used Crucial Storage Executive's Over Provisioning feature, which is not available on an encrypted drive. I discovered the drive was encrypted when I attempted to enable Over Provisioning after the last clean install.

Is there any way to remove the encryption? Or image the drive, remove encryption, and restore? Or am I screwed and have to somehow disable encryption and perform yet another clean install? I see references about opening a command prompt at the beginning of install and changing a registry setting (TCGSecurityActivationDisabled) to prevent encryption.

I've never dealt with encrypted drives before. Any help is greatly appreciate!

:)

claytoncarney, Jul 7, 2016
  2. JacquesBl Win User

BitLocker: turn on auto-unlock without encrypting OS Drive (SSD)

Thank you.

This is my first experience with a SSD; is it not disadvantageous to encrypt the SSD (performance impact, affect life of SSD)?

JacquesBl, Jul 7, 2016
  3. jrj1040 Win User
    External SSD drve security

I use Windows 10 Professional. I purchased a SSD drive for back-ups. Does Windows have available encryption to support my SSD? I will be copying some folders which are already encrypted by Windows 10.

jrj1040, Jul 7, 2016
Thema:

Unwanted SSD Encryption

1. Unwanted SSD Encryption - Similar Threads - Unwanted SSD Encryption

2. Recover bitlocker encrypted FOLDER from SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover bitlocker encrypted FOLDER from SSD: Hello - running Win7 Ultimate on SSD. During boot-up, shows Windows logo then black screen with frozen cursor. Spent hours trying to repair - Windows repair disk fails during repair. Decided to just recover files and re-install with Win10. When using another computer WIN10...
  3. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  4. Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore data from SSD encrypted by BitLocker: Hello, Win10 64bit system SSD/HDD had sw failure and can´t be run anymore BSOD or boot error. How can be possible to read data from SSD/HDD on other pc via adapter "sata to usb" or "nvme to usb" when harddrive is encrpted by BitLocker when is known the BitLocker key?...
  5. Did trim works with encrypted ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Did trim works with encrypted ssd drive?: Hi did trim works on Ssd encrypted drive? Windows 10 Pro os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/did-trim-works-with-encrypted-ssd-drive/aef53eab-e9e4-45d3-b2e2-93bc5b240c4d"
  6. Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?

Does encrypting ssd add writes to the drive?: I don't mean after you encrypt the drive. I'm talking about actually encrypting a blank ssd, does the drive see that as writing to the cells in the drive, and count that to the number of total writes? 142058
  7. Dowloading new PDFs causes unwanted encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dowloading new PDFs causes unwanted encryption: Since performing windows 10 updates a few weeks ago, when I download a pdf or an image from Internet, when I type the name of the pdf/image, the keyboard seems to be encrypting. How do I fix this?...
  8. Recover files from encrypted SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover files from encrypted SSD drive?: Hi . Is there any way or trick to recover files from SSD encrypted drive? Encryption from bitlocker on it self , due changing in the bios! So i have super important files in that drive ! Please any help?...
  9. Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption: A laptop with a 512GB SSD, partitioned into (about) C: 125GB (for Windows) and D: 375GB Windows 10 x64 Pro. Data files, such as those of Office 365, will be stored on the D-partition. I would like to have that partition encrypted/password protected. After booting Windows and...
  10. Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not: Hi , ive been searching for information on whether this drive is SED . I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX310UA which has a 256 GB micron SSD (MICRON_1100_MTFDDAV256TBN) As far as I can see this drive is self encrypting but how do I know . I have downloaded micron ssd software...