Windows 10: unzip a file?

Discus and support unzip a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I unzip a file? I don't have a compressed folder just a zipped file. If I double click on it I get garbage. Anyone knows how I can read my .zip... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lostsoul65, Nov 10, 2015.

1. unzip a file?

How can I unzip a file? I don't have a compressed folder just a zipped file. If I double click on it I get garbage. Anyone knows how I can read my .zip file?

:)

lostsoul65, Nov 10, 2015

2. unzip

Right-clicking the ZIP file and selecting Extract should extract the ZIP in the same folder.

For other archives like RAR, you might have to download and Install WinRAR:

WinRAR download and support: Download

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 10, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    unzip

Hi Bev, the application Vijay recommended is not a paid for product and 8zip is not an updated version of 7zip, it is a totally different product . . .

DaveM121, Nov 10, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

unzip a file?

Zip file from a download or what are you trying to unzip ? Windows 10 can extract a .zip file.

jds63, Nov 10, 2015
  5. Does it matter what file it is as long as it has a .zip? and on my original post I ask "How can I unzip a file? "

lostsoul65, Nov 10, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Seemed like wanted to unzip a windows system file i was not sure, why i asked. As far as i know from doing it, Windows 10 can extract. zip files. If have trouble there are third party apps can do it to, 7zip ,WinRAR, etc...

jds63, Nov 10, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Nov 10, 2015
  8. unzip a file?

I downloaded a file from a window 10 book called Windows 10 step by step and in Windows 10 I double click on it and I got garbage and then I tried my windows 7 computer and by double clicking on the file it was fine.

lostsoul65, Nov 10, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    ending of the file was .zip ? Hard to say since i can not see it as it happens from my end, you can use third party apps as mentioned for Windows 10 if you have these issues, but i have opened many zip files with no issues, maybe something different about format of this zip file.

jds63, Nov 10, 2015
  10. YOU
    You Win User
    Did download a PDF or eBook or something like that?

11. Ztruker Win User
    Right click on the zip file and select Extract All.

Ztruker, Nov 11, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    What i do, obviously did not work for there file.

unzip a file? [​IMG]

jds63, Nov 11, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

unzip a file?

So what happened when you clicked on Extract All?

Ztruker, Nov 11, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    Install 7 zip.
    Download

Note : make sure you pick the correct bit-version.
    After installed, right click at the zipped file > click 7-Zip > click Extract Here

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

unzip a file?

1. unzip a file? - Similar Threads - unzip file

2. Whenever I unzip a file, the order of the files become randomized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I unzip a file, the order of the files become randomized.: The files become randomized whenever I unzip it. It was umbered from 0-576 but then it starts at 562, when it's supposed to start at 0. It also goes randomly from 575 to 534. Does anyone know how to fix this....
  3. Whenever I unzip a file, the order of the files become randomized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I unzip a file, the order of the files become randomized.: The files become randomized whenever I unzip it. It was umbered from 0-576 but then it starts at 562, when it's supposed to start at 0. It also goes randomly from 575 to 534. Does anyone know how to fix this....
  4. Whenever I unzip a file, the order of the files become randomized.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Computer crashing while idle, unziping files greater than 5gbs or while trying to download...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashing while idle, unziping files greater than 5gbs or while trying to download...: When ever I try unziping any file greater than 5 gbs, while downloading some games and sometimes when idle, my computer crashes. Either giving a never loading blue screen where I need to press the restart button and close the computer before it fully loads and open it back up...
  6. Computer crashing while idle, unziping files greater than 5gbs or while trying to download...

Computer crashing while idle, unziping files greater than 5gbs or while trying to download...: When ever I try unziping any file greater than 5 gbs, while downloading some games and sometimes when idle, my computer crashes. Either giving a never loading blue screen where I need to press the restart button and close the computer before it fully loads and open it back up...
  7. Computer crashing while idle, unziping files greater than 5gbs or while trying to download...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Why does Windows 10 and Windows 11 unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 10 and Windows 11 unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e....: Why does Windows 10 and Windows unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e. doesn't maintain the date and time of the files in the .zip ?...
  9. Why does Windows 10 and Windows 11 unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e....

Why does Windows 10 and Windows 11 unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e....: Why does Windows 10 and Windows unzip files and give them the current date / time i.e. doesn't maintain the date and time of the files in the .zip ?...
  10. Windows update and unzipping file folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update and unzipping file folders: After Windows update on 09/16/2023 I cannot extract files from a zipped folder. Computer recognizes there is issue but does not fix problem. I am downloading svg files in zipped folder and cannot break the files out to save to local folder. Downloads of pdfs will print. How...