Windows 10: Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 How to Unzip (extract) Files from a Zipped Folder in Windows 10 [img] Information You can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by netuno60, Jun 5, 2016.

1. netuno60 Win User

Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10

How to: Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10

How to Unzip (extract) Files from a Zipped Folder in Windows 10

Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information You can zip (compress) a file so that it takes up less space. This makes it easier to email or move the file. You can also zip multiple files into a single compressed folder. This makes it easier to share a group of files. To open a file that has been zipped, you need to unzip (extract) it first.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to unzip (extract) files from a zipped folder in Windows 10.

Warning If you zip or add EFS encrypted files to a zipped compressed folder, the encrypted files will no longer be encrypted in the ZIP folder or after they’re extracted from the ZIP folder.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder using Context Menu
    • Option Two: To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder using File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Three: To Extract a Specific File or Files from Zipped Folder
    • Option Four: To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder in PowerShell
    • Option Five: To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder using Context Menu
    1. Right click or press and hold on the zipped folder, and click/tap on Extract All. (see screenshot below)

2. Browse to the folder location where you want to extract all contents in the zipped folder to, check or uncheck the Show extracted files when complete for what you want, and click/tap on Extract. (see screenshot below)

Note The default location will be the same location as the zipped folder.

3. The files will now be extracted. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder using File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open the zipped folder, click/tap on the "Compressed Folder Tools" Manage tab, and click/tap on the Extract all icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Browse to the folder location where you want to extract all contents in the zipped folder to, check or uncheck the Show extracted files when complete for what you want, and click/tap on Extract. (see screenshot below)

Note The default location will be the same location as the zipped folder.

3. The files will now be extracted. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Extract a Specific File or Files from Zipped Folder
    1. Open the zipped folder.

2. Drag or copy the item(s) from the zipped folder to a new location.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Expand-Archive -Path "Full path of ZIP" -DestinationPath "Full path of folder to extract all"

Note Substitute Full path of ZIP in the command above with the actual full path of the .zip file.

Substitute Full path of folder to extract all in the command above with the actual full path of the folder you want to extract all contents of the .zip file to.

For example:
    Expand-Archive -Path "C:\Users\Tuffy\Desktop\test.zip" -DestinationPath "C:\Users\Tuffy\Desktop"

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Extract All Files from Zipped Folder in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow PowerShell Expand-Archive -Path "Full path of ZIP" -DestinationPath "Full path of folder to extract all"

Note Substitute Full path of ZIP in the command above with the actual full path of the .zip file.

Substitute Full path of folder to extract all in the command above with the actual full path of the folder you want to extract all contents of the .zip file to.

For example:
    PowerShell Expand-Archive -Path "C:\Users\Tuffy\Desktop\test.zip" -DestinationPath "C:\Users\Tuffy\Desktop"

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

netuno60, Jun 5, 2016
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Error Opening Image

Hi Aswin,

Please unzip the file before trying to move it. For instructions on how to unzip a folder, follow these steps:

• Locate the zipped folder that you want to unzip (extract) files or folders from.
    • Do one of the following:
      • To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location.
      • To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

Let me know if there are improvements.

Ian Ser, Jun 5, 2016
  3. unzip files in windows 10

I see multiple questions about unzipping files in windows 10 with the same exact response about opening the folder via 'windows icon +E' which I can use to open a folder but I get no option for unzipping other than I need to download Winzip. Is this functionality
    not included in windows 10 as it has been previously? Please don't just post the same copy and paste response that didn't work for quite a few people based on comments from your site.
    The steps below DO NOT WORK for windows 10. I've been using previous versions of windows for years and while this used to work it doesn't in your new version.

• Locate the zipped folder that you want to unzip (extract) files or folders from.
    • Do one of the following:
      • To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location.
      • To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

JaimeScaggs, Jun 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello netuno, *Smile

The suggested folders will be grayed out until a file is selected in the opened .zip file.

Are you able to "Extract all" from the context menu? If not, then please post a screenshot showing the ribbon icon grayed out to see what the issue may be.

Brink, Jun 5, 2016
  5. netuno60 Win User
    Thanx for your answer Brink! I saw it now. The folder turn selectable after a chose a file as you have said.
    And yes, my context menu has the Extract All option!!

netuno60, Jun 6, 2016
  6. Terrysutt Win User
    I followed the instructions for option 2 (I hope) but when I tried to install the specific file to the computer
    I got a red dialogue box saying "The system cannot find the file specified".I`ve tried 2 or 3 times with the same result
    what have I missed?

Terrysutt, Sep 24, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Terry, *Smile

When you got the error message, was it for the location that the Browse window opened to? If so, you should be able to continue to Browse and select another location to extract to.

Are you able to do any of the other options to extract all files from the ZIP?

Brink, Sep 24, 2016
  8. Terrysutt Win User

The files are in the folder I selected in option 2 so I`m not sure why they won`t install.
    I tried option 1 but I don`t get the same diolgue box as in your screenshot, I`ve (hopefully)
    attached a screenshot of the one I get with a right click.Click and hold doesn`t work either.

Terrysutt, Sep 25, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Are you able to drag and drop the folder in the ZIP to your desktop to extract it?

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unzip Files Zipped

2. Why is zip file not unzipping?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is zip file not unzipping?: So when i try to extract a zip file it does not extract. does anyone have a solution to this?below is the error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-zip-file-not-unzipping/295391cd-b6af-4f7c-b051-9cf23af42731
  3. Why is zip file not unzipping?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is zip file not unzipping?: So when i try to extract a zip file it does not extract. does anyone have a solution to this?below is the error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-zip-file-not-unzipping/295391cd-b6af-4f7c-b051-9cf23af42731
  4. Why is zip file not unzipping?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Getting empty folder on unzipping a zip file using Windows Explorer

Getting empty folder on unzipping a zip file using Windows Explorer: I am getting empty folder on unzipping a zip file using Windows Explorer but I am able to extract files from the same zip using any third party tool like 7-zip or WinZip. Have tried all the possible solutions like enabling "Show hidden files", running SFC scan and DISM scan...
  6. zip/unzip software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    zip/unzip software: Could somebody make a recommendation on Zip/Unzip software more advanced than the Zip/Unzip program that comes with Windows 10?I am open to both free and paid software. I am interested in being able to zip not just files, but also nested folders.Thanks in advance...
  7. Zip and unzip files

Zip and unzip files: Hi , the compressed zip files in my compressed folder in drive c just got deleted for no reason , i went out of the room , came back , maximized the folder , saw that everything just vanished , please help ...!...
  8. Zip and unzip files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zip and unzip files: Hi , the compressed zip files in my compressed folder in drive c just got deleted for no reason , i went out of the room , came back , maximized the folder , saw that everything just vanished , please help ...!...
  9. Zip and unzip files

10. How to Unzip a zipped file?

How to Unzip a zipped file?: I downloaded one file that helps me open landscapes from Google Earth to Blender. But for some reason I can only unzip it using WinZip and I don't have a membership. I have looked up all sorts of tutorials but none seemed to help, I have also tried unzipping the file in File...