Windows 10: Update and Security tab error in Settings app

Discus and support Update and Security tab error in Settings app in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed Windows 10 and need to update my antivirus. I need to access Windows Update but whenever I click on the Update and Security tab in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paladinvaan, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Update and Security tab error in Settings app

I just installed Windows 10 and need to update my antivirus. I need to access Windows Update but whenever I click on the Update and Security tab in the Settings app the tab opens but then the app freezes. This happens every time I do this so I cannot update my system. Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.

:)

paladinvaan, Dec 26, 2015
  2. RosebudLR Win User

Windows 10 Update and Security tab in settings won't open (frozen)

I ran the troubleshooter and it repaired some of the window components.

4 of the updates for the July run failed. Hopefully they will now work.

Thanks for your suggestion.

RosebudLR, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update and Security tab in settings won't open (frozen)

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

The steps provided in method 1 is to rename the software distribution folder. In order to rename this folder, you are required to first stop the four services as stated, without which you will not be able to rename the folder. This is the reason why you
    receive the error message while trying to rename the folder in the command prompt.

I would suggest you to once again try the steps and make sure all the services are stopped successfully before you rename the folder. However, if you face the same problem, follow the steps provided to start the services again so that the services are up
    and running as before.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to try switching the current Microsoft Account to a local account and then back to a Microsoft account. This will not affect your personal files and settings. To proceed with this method, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click Accounts > Your email and accounts

3. Click "sign in with a local account instead" and follow the screen instructions to create the local account.

4. Once you are signed in through a local account, repeat steps 1 and 2 and click "sign in with a Microsoft account instead".

5. Enter your Microsoft account credentials during the setup.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 26, 2015
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Update and Security tab error in Settings app

Welcome to the forum!

Are you using a 3rd party internet security software? If you are, and you have the licensing data backed up, uninstall and get Windows 10 situated and settled before reinstalling the 3rd party software, ensuring that it is W10- compatible.

If you are not, might the problem be internet access-related?

pyramid10, Dec 26, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    and if you are wanting to update windows defender ,try going to start and type in ,windows defender, and when it shows right click it and pint to taskbar ,then open it and try running the update from there.

and if you are using 3rd party open it and run the update from with it .

caperjack, Dec 26, 2015
  6. I use NOD32 as my antivirus but Windows 10 deleted it. It prompted me to update in the action center but I accidentally deleted the message. This is one of the reasons why I need to access Windows Update, as well as an issue I have with Chrome not opening instantly after clicking but instead 10 minutes later.

paladinvaan, Dec 26, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    If this is a fresh install and not an upgrade , I world run the win10 setup from the desk top and do repair/update install

caperjack, Dec 27, 2015
  8. Update and Security tab error in Settings app

No it is an upgrade and I was previously using Windows 7

paladinvaan, Dec 27, 2015
  9. caperjack Win User
    I worried it was that , myself I have no issues with any of mine upgrades or clean installs ,so its hard for me to say what to do to fix it,, if it was my own and the win10 was activated ,I would backup all my important stuff and wipe it clean and do a fresh install of win10 ,starting over completely ,you would loose all programs and data from win7 you have on it now ,but it would in my opinion work better ..

caperjack, Dec 27, 2015
  10. Geeviz Win User
    Same problem exactly here.......

Cannot determine where the problem came from...

I recently updated from Windows 8.1 with the reason to keep all my instances of programs and settings. So far not a problem except the Updates and Security tab and updating...

Cheers, .

Geeviz, Dec 29, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    sometimes win10 will fix itself after a few shutdowns and reboots

caperjack, Dec 30, 2015
  12. Geeviz Win User
    True... but this error is too huge to let it fix by only some restarts..... I'll prefer waiting for a fix or real solution

Geeviz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Update and Security tab error in Settings app

1. Update and Security tab error in Settings app - Similar Threads - Update Security tab

2. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs: I was looking to update my device to Windows 11 when I realized that there were missing tabs in the update and security section.I looked through another thread where someone had a similar issue but none of the solutions worked....
  3. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs: I was looking to update my device to Windows 11 when I realized that there were missing tabs in the update and security section.I looked through another thread where someone had a similar issue but none of the solutions worked....
  4. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Apps and Features tab in settings is missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps and Features tab in settings is missing: Hi Can you please tell me how can i add Apps and Features tab back on ? Without reinstalling the entire windows if possible :#Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-and-features-tab-in-settings-is-missing/c7e713ad-9db1-454f-ac3c-62a34abab4f2
  6. Security tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security tab: Should USB flash drive with fat 32 file have a security tab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-tab/e07f1467-3780-4caa-803a-5b7f9cdfffc0"
  7. windows "security and updates" tab is crashing in settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows "security and updates" tab is crashing in settings: so i wanted to check for updates but the settings app keeps crashing when i click on "security and updates" . things i tried: i tried sfc/scannow i tried chkdsk i tried dism image thingy and i havent found a solution yet , i want help as soun as possible thanks...
  8. security settings blockss apps update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    security settings blockss apps update: apps blocked from updating by security setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-settings-blockss-apps-update/753df88d-2dc3-4c0f-887f-57f38ce6c350"
  9. "Update & security" tab on Settings flashes for a second, then closes.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "Update & security" tab on Settings flashes for a second, then closes.: I'm trying to access Windows Update, but when I click on the Update & security tab on Settings, it flashes for a brief moment then closes. My PC specs are: CPU: Intel i5-4460 GPU: ASUS GTX 950 STRIX OC 2GB Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB...
  10. Update & Security tab crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Update & Security tab crashes: I don't know if this is a "General Support" thing or it should be elsewhere - if I should move it let me know. New laptop, Windows 10 Home. Been working fine. I opened the Update & Security tab to check Windows Defender. It worked FINE..... I hit the tab for "Windows...