Windows 10: Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

Discus and support Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I manage several PC's in an office environment and staff have been complaining that their PC's are taking 10-15 minutes in the morning to update after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by conrad9900, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

I manage several PC's in an office environment and staff have been complaining that their PC's are taking 10-15 minutes in the morning to update after they chose the "update and shutdown" option the night before, Is there any way to ensure this does not happen?

:)

conrad9900, Mar 21, 2017

2. Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

The updates are not applied automatically, these are manually applied when the shutdown option is chosen so the active hours does not apply here

conrad9900, Mar 21, 2017
  3. Jane Lla Win User
    Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

Hello Conrad,

We suggest enabling Active Hours. This feature aims to make updates more pleasant by letting you specify the hours you're more likely to be using your computer to prevent Windows Update from restarting your system automatically. Furthermore,
    once active hours is set, Windows will avoid pushing updates during the said time-frame.

To enable Active Hours, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.

2. Click on Update & security.

3. Under Update settings, you will notice a few extra links, click Change Active Hours.

4. Specify the time you're actively using your computer.

5. Click Save to commit the changes.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Jane Lla, Mar 21, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Some Windows cumulative and other essential updates require a restart. Part of installing them happens before shut down, part of after next start. It is always recommended to select Update and Restart instead of Update and Shut down to let Windows go through the update installation sequence.

Selecting Update and Shut down you only perform half of the sequence. Next time PC will be started it has to finish it, there's nothing you can do for it.

I would try to train the staff to change their habits a bit. For instance tell them to check if there's a pending update waiting restart before going to lunch, if yes tell them to use Update and Restart option when leaving for lunch. They will then return to an updated PC.

BTW, not knowing what version and build of Windows 10 your staff is using and if you are on workgroup or domain, the latest builds have an option in Settings > Updates & Security > Advanced Options to allow possible restarts required by an update to automatically sign the user in:

Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot [​IMG]

I recommend that if this option is available in Windows version you are using to disable it, otherwise a lunch break Update and restart might boot to desktop while the staff member is still out for lunch, leaving possible sensitive information available to anyone who goes to that PC.

Another tip is to use SHUTDOWN command to force Windows to shutdown without updating, to postpone an update and restart to for instance lunch break on following day. Just press WIN + R to open Run dialog, type shutdown -s -t 0 -f and press Enter to shutdown without updating, to ensure fast boot the following day.

Thema:

1. Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot - Similar Threads - Update Shutdown Still

2. Update and Shutdown problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update and Shutdown problem: So the other night I finished downloading a game on steam. Once it had finished I went to shut my computer down and clicked update and shut down then went to bed. The next night turned on computer back on and this screen screen comes up. I have followed the screens trying to...
  3. I am still seeing the options to update and shutdown and update and restart even after...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am still seeing the options to update and shutdown and update and restart even after...: Today 9th 10th may 3 or 10:00 a.m. banaya received the update of windows 10 21 date I immediately updated that in mind for mistake ever I think I should have installed this because my PC has finished installing this update my PC was updated and shutdown when I turn it on and...
  4. Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown

Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown: Three machines two of which are *not* MS pro so it's a constant battle with MS "DENIAL OF SERVICE" attacks with updates. Hours and hours and hours. So on my laptop, the updates are in theory paused until in November. Today it ran updates when it booted, it's running updates...
  5. After a normal successful update (choosing update and shutdown), windows boots to the setup...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After a normal successful update (choosing update and shutdown), windows boots to the setup...: submitted by /u/evrdrandosity [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j6gn1m/after_a_normal_successful_update_choosing_update/
  6. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  7. Shutdown after update

Shutdown after update: Hello, After installing KB4517389 update which contains Intel drivers, my laptop (Dell Latitude E6220) shutdowns every 30 minutes. It happens too when I enter the BIOS and leave it during 30 minutes. The update has left my laptop unusable. I reinstalled Windows,...
  8. Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903: I've updated my windows from 1803 to 1903 yesterday and have noticed starting up my PC took significant longer. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds from completely off to the login screen but after the update the PC will show a black screen after the boot loading screen and stays...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating.

Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating.: Hi there, I was forced to restart my laptop which is a Acer (cant remember the model) for the what I assume was the most recent update for windows 10. This update gave me no option of delaying it and so it told me it was going to restart my computer now. and 20 seconds...
  10. Still will not update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Still will not update: I have yet to be able to get build updates. With 9926, I just downloaded and installed a new copy and it upgraded the old build but I was never able to do a windows update or Notifications/Update. Now I see build 10xxx is out. Again I checked notificaitons/settings/updates &...