Windows 10: Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10

Discus and support Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 How to Update and Upgrade Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro Packages in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10

How to: Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10

How to Update and Upgrade Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro Packages in Windows 10

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on Windows, alongside your traditional Windows desktop and modern store apps.

When you have export and import WSL distros.

Most WSL distros ship with an empty/minimal package catalog. It is strongly recommend to regularly update your package catalog, and upgrading your installed packages using your distro's preferred package manager.

Windows 10 does not automatically update or upgrade your Linux distro(s) packages.

See also: Update & upgrade your distro's packages | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to update and upgrade your Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) distro packages in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Run the WSL distro (ex: "Ubuntu") you want to update and upgrade its packages.

2. Copy and paste the appropriate command below into the distro's console window, and press Enter. (see screenshot below step 3)
    (For Debian, Ubuntu, and Kali Linux)
    *Arrow sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

OR

(For "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12" or "openSUSE Leap 42")
    *Arrow sudo zypper refresh && sudo zypper update
    3. When prompted, type your UNIX password for the current UNIX username (ex: "brink") for this WSL distro (ex: "Ubuntu"), and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. If prompted with Do you want to continue, type y and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished updating and upgrading this WSL distro's packages, you can close the console window if you like. (see screenshot below)

*note It can take a while to finish.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 1, 2018

2. Alternatives to using Windows Store to install Linux distro on WSL

I just wanted to ask what alternatives there are to using the Windows 10 to install Linux distros on WSL.

Also, it seems like Ubuntu 19 isn't available for the WSL. Is there a chance that we'll be able to install it when WSL2 is released? And I'd like to get the latest non-LTS version if possible (though it's alright if it's not possible too).

OsmanZakir, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How to create a WSL package?

Hi,

I was reading the "readme" at microsoft/WSL-DistroLauncher

And it said to "reach out" for help with creating a WSL distro.

I joined (paid) the developer program. I have searched a bit, and I can't find WSL support.

Please help.

Thanks!!!

Peace
    - John

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

harperjohn27, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Allan Mej Win User

How to configure WSL Ubuntu (or any WSL distro) to use a NAT virtual network

Hi Roger,

We have a team dedicated to advance Windows 10 setups. Regarding your concern about settings up WSL Ubuntu or any WSL distro for virtual network, we recommend posting to
    Microsoft TechNet forums for Windows 10 virtualization, networking, etc.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Sideloading Custom Linux Distro to Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux

Source: Open Sourcing a WSL Sample for Linux Distribution Maintainers and Sideloading Custom Linux Distributions Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Sideloading Custom Linux Distro to Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux

Source: Open Sourcing a WSL Sample for Linux Distribution Maintainers and Sideloading Custom Linux Distributions Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Update Upgrade WSL

2. WSL 2 distro installation failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL 2 distro installation failure: Installation of WSL 2 distros fails with error Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed. I also cannot run Hyper-V...
  3. Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Custom WSL Distro Not Launching: Hello world. I recently decided to try installing a Linux distro to use with Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did not like any of the options provided, however, so I tried to use a "custom" one. I say this in quotes because the distro was publicly available, but not as a WSL...
  4. WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade: Just as a note, it is most likely I did something very stupid here. Please point out what I did wrong! So strange thing today, I upgraded my nvme drive today. Went from 500GB to 1TB, but now my WSL distros are missing. what I did: use DD to clone one drive to other dd...
  5. Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2: After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at...
  6. How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With Windows 10, Microsoft allows a user to run multiple Linux distros based on WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux. But when reinstalling or resetting Windows 10, all the configuration stored with these WSL distros gets deleted. Or to back [...] This post...
  7. Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10: How to: Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 How to Unregister and Reset Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux...
  8. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10: How to: Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 How to Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...
  9. Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10: How to: Run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 How to Run a Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on...
  10. Set Default Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 How to Set Default Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...