Windows 10: Update Broke Computer Need Help!

Discus and support Update Broke Computer Need Help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To start off I've been trying to fix my computer for a week now and have had no success. I don't think it's malware, I've had Malwarebytes installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RandomTurtle, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Update Broke Computer Need Help!

To start off I've been trying to fix my computer for a week now and have had no success. I don't think it's malware, I've had Malwarebytes installed onto my computer for about a year now and have ran a scan multiple times with "Scan for rootkits" option turned on, since theses errors have occurred. I can run some games such as Osu! and Steam games. The errors that I receive after the up date are as follows.

When launching some programs I get an error saying, -

"Windows cannot connect to Windows Smart Screen would you like to run either way?"

Another error I get is when I launch games on Battle.net, I get the error -

Wow(Or Overwatch)-64.exe - Bad Image
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ondemandconnrouterhelper.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try Installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor support.Error status 0xc0000020.

Finally, when I try to check for updates in control panel I get -

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800700c1)"

The solutions I have already tried are I tried to "Reset this PC" in control panel both "complete wipe" and "keep personal files" it gets to about 30-50% then resets my computer saying "An error occurred no changes have been made to your computer.
    I have tried running in cmd promt as administrator, "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" It also stops about 80-90% and says error.
    I have tried to reinstall windows 10 both through the downloaded media tool on my computer, and one installed onto a USB stick and the one installed onto my computer doesn't download, while the usb "fails to load win 10 setup."
    I cannot revert to my previous OS, as I've had Win10 for awhile now and lost that option.
    I even gave complete remote control to Microsoft support and they did nothing. I should also mention during the time they controlled my computer it was noted that my troubleshoot options are gone for my PC.

:)

RandomTurtle, Oct 5, 2016
  2. Need#Help Win User

Adding Birthdays and Holidays to Windows 10 Mail App

If someone knows how to add holidays and birthdays to the Windows 10 Mail App, PLEASE tell me how.

Thank you!

Need#Help, Oct 5, 2016
  3. Broke at the moment desperate need for help

Well I'm trying to burn important documents and photos on CD-R and my laptop is not reading the disc at all. You can hear it when it turns on but it shows no where on my laptop. I even troubleshooted it and it says I need to update it.

NatalieSalazar, Oct 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Update Broke Computer Need Help!

Hi, it sounds as if things are somewhat amiss with your installation.

Please start with this:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

and download and install Crystal Diskinfo and post a screenshot of its initial display. It should give a simple good/fail indication for your disk.

Please add details of your disk(s) to your system specs (size, HDD/SSHD/SSD)

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management
    (Windows key + X, click Disk Management).

If Chkdsk fixes things and is clear, then
    open a command prompt again
    type
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the result.

Can you clarify this please:
    Did you try to do a clean install by booting from your USB drive, or did you try to do an in-place upgrade repair install (=log in, then run setup.exe from the flash drive?)

dalchina, Oct 5, 2016
  5. Hi so I ran the "chkdsk C: /F" and this was the results

Update Broke Computer Need Help! [​IMG]

And I also downloaded and installed the crystal disk info and it saying "Disk not Found."

From the usb I did and the "In-place upgrade repair install," so i would login and run the setup.exe from the usb.

RandomTurtle, Oct 6, 2016
  6. Forgot to mention no the problem was not solved the error still occurred once I ran Overwatch.

7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I wasn't expecting to solve anything at this point.....!
    Chkdsk is ok. I've not seen that from Crystal Diskinfo. Strange.

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management
    (Windows key + x, click Disk Management)

From an admin command prompt
    Windows key + x, click Command Prompt (admin)
    run
    sfc /scannow
    and post the results.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  8. Update Broke Computer Need Help!

Here is the Disk Management.

Here is the sfc /scannow results

9. Kryten Win User
    Windows smartscreen message isnt an error its a security feature.
    It does a reputation check on programs/files downloaded from internet.It helps protect you from installing/running malicious software. It needs an internet connection.That message triggers when it tries to run when you arent connected.

You can change settings: control panel<security and maintenance>change windows smartscreen settings.

WU message may be due to update being temporily unavailable/connection problem.
    If it continues to stick:

disconnect from internet
    (Command prompt admin) run net stop wuauserv then net stop bits
    Delete everything in c:windows/software distribution -its all temporary.
    Reboot and try windows update again.

OnDemandConnRouteHelper.dll is part of win 10 install. The suggested sfc /scannow or a registry cleaner may fix it.
    You may be able to download it from microsoft.I run steam games and dont get that problem.Im still on build 1511
    1607 update has caused multiple gaming problems for some people.

Kryten, Oct 6, 2016
  10. I understand that Windows Smartscreen is support to "protect" my computer but its not giving me a warning. It just tells me that I can't connect to Windows, so I disabled it.
    Second can you direct me where to download the OnDemandConnRouteHelper.dll? If you are recommending me it could you direct me cause the only thing that shows up on google is sketchy sites that look like they would only either harm my computer, or lock stuff behind pay walls.
    Finally I tried the steps you recommended and sadly they didn't work.

11. dalchina New Member
    Windows 10 Upgrade
    According to this list, your PC isn't on Acer's approved list for Win 10. Could you check that?

This is an older PC which came with Win 7. Have you ever clean installed Win 10 on it?

• AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core Processor
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM
    • 320GB HDD
    • DVD Rewriter
    • Integrated Graphics
    • PS.VB1E3.082

We can only proceed step by step.

So chkdsk and SFC /Scannow are ok. But any attempt to reset your PC or run DISM fails.

Is this what you tried? I'm not 100% clear what the above means. Clean install or this procedure?
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

If you tried this, it's possible it failed as you need (it seems) some 500Mb of unallocated space on your hard disk.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  12. I don't think I ever did a clean install, when I upgraded I'm certain I did it in the way I could keep my games and personal files.

Also here is my pc from the msinfo32

I can't run anything in terms of Windows 10 install, it just doesn't open or load. So I can't do either procedures you listed.

13. dalchina New Member

In that case, I'm afraid, it's time for a clean install.

You'll need to back up everything, and make sure you delete all partitions related to the Windows OS. I.e. keep any data or manufacturer's recovery partition (if any) on that disk.

You'll need a current bootable Win 10 medium.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Here's how you give yourself a second chance once you've got a fresh installation running- and the first thing to do is to create your first image before installing any programs or making changes.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  14. Those don't even work, those are what I meant by the Media creation tool, and reinstalling win 10. The usb setup.exe says an error, while the downloaded one onto the pc just won't download the update.

RandomTurtle, Oct 7, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, precisely how have you created your bootable medium? Using the media creation tool to put Win 10 on the flash drive directly?
    And does your PC try to boot from the flash drive rather than the hard drive?
    Have you configured the boot priority in your BIOS so your PC boots from the flash drive?

And by the way, have you got a full backup of your data?

I can't interpret this. I couldn't before.

If the PC is booting from the USB drive, you wouldn't even be aware of setup.exe. So what exactly is happening? What error - what is the exact error message? When? What is the exact sequence of what you are doing?

"while the downloaded one onto the pc just won't download the update."
    I haven't a clue what this means, sorry.

Now to clean install, once you have got your PC booting from an external medium, you will need to delete unwanted partitions as part of this sequence, and install Windows to unallocated space.

If it's simpler, download the iso and burn a DVD and boot from that.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Update Broke Computer Need Help! - Similar Threads - Update Broke Computer

2. Update broke system- help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update broke system- help: So I use Linux on my main pc, but my dad's laptop decided to update and then brake the whole thing. I can send some pics of it. It just loops over and over on the update setup screen. I don't know the specs cause it isn't mine but I know that it has an i3 3110m, four gigs of...
  3. DESPERATELY need help -- Cumulative Update 2021-01 broke my computer, no way to fix or roll...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESPERATELY need help -- Cumulative Update 2021-01 broke my computer, no way to fix or roll...: The CU 2021-01 has messed my computer up badly. First, it installed itself without my permission, although I have it set not to install updates at all Pro Verion - group settings, and it usually doesn't unless I specifically tell it to. It installed wrong, so I had to do a...
  4. GF Computer Broke! Please Help

GF Computer Broke! Please Help: This is my GF Laptop (YT Video). It is an MSI gaming laptop GL63. She wants to know if any one can help her with the issue. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! The flashing is all that happens after you log in. It won't let you do anything. We have done a reinstall...
  5. Accidentally broke everything, need help ASAP

Accidentally broke everything, need help ASAP: So basically, I was trying to install Arch Linux alongside Windows I was being REALLY REALLY Really stupid, saw a seemingly useless 15GB recovery partition, and was like "hey, I can use this for Arch" because I didn't wanna cut into my main partition's storage as it was...
  6. Recent update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent update broke my computer: A week or so ago, I updated windows with the most recent update. The next day I turn it on to use it and it started up fine, got to the login screen fine but when I logged in my desktop was gone, all I had was the tool bar on the bottom. When I would scroll my mouse down to...
  7. [HELP][Update] Update broke multiple things

[HELP][Update] Update broke multiple things: things that broke: discord audio i/o general audio input audio output on firefox cant revert update submitted by /u/mss0406 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0ysvb/helpupdate_update_broke_multiple_things/
  8. Windows update. Broke computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update. Broke computer: i have an ASUS FX53VE model laptop and earlier tonight i received the notification to update windows 10 as per usual. I went to update my computer and it told me to restart my laptop as it usually does and so i went to restart my laptop and it has now gotten stuck on the ASUS...
  9. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!: Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network sharing was working fine until yesterday. Two computers got the update to build 1809 yesterday, and that seriously broke sharing...
  10. Secondary Harddrive Broke Need Serious Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Harddrive Broke Need Serious Help!: Windows 10 64bit fully updated...I have a 256GB SSD and 1TB Hard Drive...The 256GB SSD has the OS while I use the Hard Drive for Storage and Games that take a lot of space. This morning I turned on my computer to hear a funny sound...Like the discs of the Hard Drive were...