Windows 10: Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box

Discus and support Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys n Gals, Has anyone come across a problem I am having after the latest update, after it is installed and I restart the PC windowsloads to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SirBasher, Jul 1, 2017.

1. SirBasher Win User

Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box

Hi Guys n Gals,

Has anyone come across a problem I am having after the latest update, after it is installed and I restart the PC windowsloads to the logon prompt and after I logon I get a dialogue box telling me it is personalising my settings and then just hangs there. I then have to go back using system restore to get the PC to work again. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Dave G

:)

SirBasher, Jul 1, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Jul 1, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :)

musum, Jul 1, 2017
  4. Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box

HI SirBasher. Welcome to the TenForums @SirBasher

Not really sure which update you are referencing, could you provide number?

Two things I would do, run the update trouble shooter and run sfc /scannow.

What version and build are you currently using? Windows key + R, type winver, enter.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 2, 2017
  5. SirBasher Win User
    Hi Ken,

I've been on her before as Basher but my email address has gone, but never mindUpdate causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :)

The build is Ver 1703 (OS Build 15063,296),

It is:

2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems(KB4022725)

I have just completed all updates apart from the above and all was well, then created a restore point. I'll run the scan now and let you know.

Regards,

Dave G

SirBasher, Jul 2, 2017
  6. SirBasher Win User
    Hi Ken,

Scan results:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Now there is only the one update to install I'll give it another go and if fails I'll take a photo of the screen and attach it.

Regards,

Dave G

SirBasher, Jul 2, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes, this is something that apparently came in with 1703. After each cumulative update I have seen a 'personalising settings' box at the first login after the restart. It has never hung for me though.

Bree, Jul 2, 2017
  8. SirBasher Win User

Yes, I agree but this time it just hangs, I have restarted and I have even left it on all night but no joy.

SirBasher, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, I was just adding some background. This message has only appeared since 1703. I suspect previous versions have also been updating personal setting after each cumulative update, but 1703 is the first to actually say so while it does it.

Either way, the hang may be down to a problem in your profile. Do you have any other accounts you could try? Does it hang for them? Does it hang in safe mode?

Bree, Jul 2, 2017
  10. SirBasher Win User
    Hi Bree
    I don't have any other accounts on the system, I could create one if you think that will help but I'm not convinced it is as all the other windows updates install fine, but as I said I will give it ago *Smile. I haven't tried safe mode but I thought the F8 had gone now?
    Regards,
    Dave G.

SirBasher, Jul 3, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    It's a process of elimination, if a problem exist for only one account then the finger of suspicion points to the user's profile being corrupted. It may have recently been damaged, hence the problem may have only just appeared. Anyway, it's always useful for emergencies to have a second local account that's an administrator.

F8, yes - safe mode no...

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

12. SirBasher Win User
    Hi Bree, The computer starts in safe mode ok *Smile but not sure what I am looking for!?

SirBasher, Jul 3, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

You're looking for it not to hang at login - which it didn't *Smile Now you are in a positon create a new local account to check if that too will hang at 'personalise settings' when you start up normally and try to log on. If not, but your original account still does, at least you now have an account you can use.

If you start up normally. does your original account still hang at login? It's possible that just starting up in safe mode and shutting down again may have cleared the issue.

14. SirBasher Win User
    Hi Bree,
    I ended calling MS support, they logged on and couldn't fix it and escalated it to 2nd tech who were supposed to call me tonight (surprise surprise :-(), any way I decided to down load the file and installed it from my hard disk and hey presto it has worked Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box :).
    Thanks for the support and advise, I have learnt some stuff I didn't know.
    Regards,
    Dave G

SirBasher, Jul 4, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Glad to hear you got it working properly. Yes, TenForums is like that - there are a lot of very knowledgeable members, I've learned 'stuff I didn't know' here too.

Thema:

1. Update causes computer to hang on "Personlise Setting" dialogue box - Similar Threads - Update causes computer

2. freezing dialogue boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freezing dialogue boxes: When I copy files from one drive to another, the progress dialogue box comes up but on reaching 100% it does not close down. It remains frozen on the screen. Only a restart of Windows gets rid of it. What is the problem? How do I stop the dialogue from freezing? How do I...
  3. freezing dialogue boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freezing dialogue boxes: When I copy files from one drive to another, the progress dialogue box comes up but on reaching 100% it does not close down. It remains frozen on the screen. Only a restart of Windows gets rid of it. What is the problem? How do I stop the dialogue from freezing? How do I...
  4. Save/Open Dialogues Hanging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save/Open Dialogues Hanging: Hello,Windows 10 19044Azure AD JoinedIntune ManagedA few weeks ago whenever a Windows Save or Open dialgoue appeared it would white screen for a good minute before showing files, see screenshot.Tried a few basic troubleshooting- Updated drivers- Updated BIOS- Ran SFC scan-...
  5. Save/Open Dialogues Hanging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save/Open Dialogues Hanging: Hello,Windows 10 19044Azure AD JoinedIntune ManagedA few weeks ago whenever a Windows Save or Open dialgoue appeared it would white screen for a good minute before showing files, see screenshot.Tried a few basic troubleshooting- Updated drivers- Updated BIOS- Ran SFC scan-...
  6. Save/Open Dialogues Hanging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Oversized dialogue boxes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Oversized dialogue boxes: I have a program for embroidery called Generations. It worked fine on my old laptop Windows 10 but the dialogue boxes are too big on my new laptop and I can't reach any controls like OK. How can I reduce the size of these dialogue boxes? [ATTACH]...
  8. Dialogue Box Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dialogue Box Issue: I am trying to download an update for a game on Origin, but no dialogue box is popping up to ask for permission to download the content so Origin can't update the game. How do I fix this?...
  9. scanner dialogue box

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    scanner dialogue box: How to bring up the scanner dialogue box? I have a new hard drive and had to start over getting programs up. Have a Canon and it does print just fine but doesn't scan - before the crash the PC used to be able to scan documents just by my clicking on "Document" in the scanner...
  10. printer dialogue box

in Windows 10 Customization
    printer dialogue box: When I click on my printer icon (HP6790) I get a dialogue box asking me "do want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" if I say no it keeps on reappearing and I cannot get rid of it. My printer is fine so is my wireless connection and I don't need the update, how...