Windows 10: Update from AU to FCU?

Discus and support Update from AU to FCU? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My desktop PC is running the AU (W10 Pro) since I have deferred updates. My laptop just upgraded to the FCU which I'm happy with. Is there any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Update from AU to FCU?

My desktop PC is running the AU (W10 Pro) since I have deferred updates. My laptop just upgraded to the FCU which I'm happy with.

Is there any problem just letting my desktop PC upgrade straight from the AU to FCU (missing out the CU)?

:)

Steve C, Oct 23, 2017
  2. tom2517 Win User

Still no updates of PR 1.1

Looks like PR 1.1 is not available for AU N9 yet. Haven't seen anyone with AU N9 got an official update from Nokia.

tom2517, Oct 23, 2017
  3. Lee Keels Win User
    Severe performance issues in Firestorm viewer after installing KB3176938 (Windows Version 1607 Build 14393.105)

We need to stay clear on this. There has NEVER been a reason to roll back from the AU. The bug is NOT in the AU. It is in three updates that came after the AU and it will be in future updates until they fix it. There is no issue with the Nvidia driver
    and rolling it back does not fix the problem. If your problem is fixed, it is because you removed the updates causing the issue. You can run the latest Nvidia driver with no impact.

Lee Keels, Oct 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Update from AU to FCU?

Take due precautions - create (or update if using) a disk image which you'll be familiar with already- just in case.

Note that some bugs have become apparent, and it's clearly a work in progress. Personally I'd wait until the first major update comes out, but if you have the security of a disk image and the option to revert within 10 days, you could try it.

Make sure you have enough spare space on C: and some 500Mb unallocated space on your system drive. Other precautions listed in Brink's tutorial on upgrading Windows.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I'll defer for 3 FCU updates then try updating from the AU to the FCU in January.

Steve C, Oct 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Just like dalchina, I always make sure I have an up to date system image I can restore in the even of problems.

Unlike dalchina I am an early adopter, I always upgrade at the first opportunity. I got mine on 17th. October, as soon as it was launched. I have found very few bugs, and those that exist are reactively minor and (one would hope) should be fixed in the first 'Patch Tuesday' cumulative update.

1709 has had only one update (to 16299.19), also issued on the 17th., that was for final mods that were made between the time build 16299.15 was fixed as the release build and the launch date itself. Compare that with the launch of 1703 which had to have three out of band updates before the first 'Patch Tuesday' CU (two in the first week) and another out of band update before the second regular CU. See for yourself, its history is here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4018124

I would say FCU is ready to install now, but if you want to be cautious the first regular update should be sufficient.

As for jumping a version, it should be possible to upgrade any version, even the original RTM, 1507 (10240), straight to 1709. On my test machine (System Two in my specs below) I've just restored a system image of Anniversary Update (1607) and successfully upgraded direct to 1709.

My preferred upgrade method is to use the Media Creation Tool to make install media on USB or as an ISO. To start the upgrade run your existing Windows, insert the USB (or mount the ISO) and use File Explorer to find and run the Setup.exe it contains.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What would you consider to be the first major update, @dalchina? Wasn't Fall Creator's Update the first major update to the April Creator's Update? Is the next cumulative update the next major update to FCU? A lot of people said the same thing about the April Creator's Update - don't install it, wait until the FCU, because the first Creator's Update had too many bugs.

NavyLCDR, Oct 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Update from AU to FCU?

I was thinking of the cumulative update after the major build release, say a month or two afterwards, based on previous patterns.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    IMHO this is one of the least buggy 'first week of release' I've seen. The 1703 launch was followed up with a lot of 'firefighting' updates (as I said above). What bugs there are seem trivial, for example the old-style Defender UI will crash when you try to look at quarantine history (but works if you run it as administrator).

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Update from AU to FCU?

1. Update from AU to FCU? - Similar Threads - Update FCU

2. Windows 11's Moment Update 5 is finally here: how to download

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11's Moment Update 5 is finally here: how to download: Microsoft released the fifth Moment Update for Windows 11 in February 2024. This release did not reach many user systems, as Microsoft limited its availability artificially. While Microsoft did state that the update was available to "seekers", users who check for updates...
  3. Windows 1909 wont update to version 2004

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 1909 wont update to version 2004: I have been stuck on windows 1909 for 4 years. Every time I click to check for updates it just says You're not up to date and doesn't have an error code or anything...
  4. Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?: Hello everyone. So i decided to downgrade my windows 10 latest update to fall creators update 1709 by reinstalling it. The reason is that after many updates i observed my CPU and RAM are throttled to work slower possible by so known Meltdown and Spectre "vulnerabilities''...
  5. When's The Next Cumulative Update Out? (FCU-1709)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    When's The Next Cumulative Update Out? (FCU-1709): As the title says. Just curious. Are they released monthly? Currently on FCU latest build 16299.19 96911
  6. Cannot update from Windows creators update to FCU

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot update from Windows creators update to FCU: Hi guys , Today I download the FCU update straight from Windows Update . When the first restart, I clicked "Update and Restart" , but it didn't process the update , it just back to the my version of Windows . But in the second restart , most of the $WINDOWS.~BT folder...
  7. After updating to the FCU I am experiencing sound popping issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After updating to the FCU I am experiencing sound popping issues: Since updating to the FCU I have been experiencing a sound popping issue that happens only when the playback starts, it's almost as if the driver cannot wake up in time from idle. After the initial popping the playback can continue for hours without issues. I tried different...
  8. NO SOUND after Windows 10 1709 FCU update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NO SOUND after Windows 10 1709 FCU update: The troubleshooter suggest I download the Microsoft HD Audio driver, but I have not been successful. Currently I have realtek speakers, so I attempted to look for updated drivers again unsuccessful. 99052
  9. Update to 1709 (FCU) Made Fonts Small - How to Fix??

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to 1709 (FCU) Made Fonts Small - How to Fix??: I updated to 1709 (FCU) and my fonts have become small. How do i fix this? 98575
  10. FCU Download Size via Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FCU Download Size via Windows Update: MS has been touting the virtues of software delivery optimization via UUP; but, looking at their UUP repository, there's hardly any size difference between the required set of canonical UUP files and an esd file. But I'm thinking the Express delivery method used by WU...