Windows 10: Update from Windows 7 to 10

Discus and support Update from Windows 7 to 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Several people I know updated to Windows 10 and had n problems. There desktop icons returned - and they were able to access all their old files. Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fergie1947, May 11, 2016.

1. Update from Windows 7 to 10

Several people I know updated to Windows 10 and had n problems.
    There desktop icons returned - and they were able to access all their old files.
    Not sure why I can's as I just clicked the install icon the same as they did....anyone know what I am doing wrong?

:)

Fergie1947, May 11, 2016

2. How to update Windows 10 Pro

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)

How To Update Windows 10 Pro, May 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, May 11, 2016
  4. Update from Windows 7 to 10

Did you accidentally pick the option to remove everything? Check your C: drive for a Windows.old folder.

DeaconFrost, May 11, 2016
  5. Thanks for your response.....Just did what a few of my friends did - clicked "the install Windows 10" button and when it installed after a couple of hours, they found everything right were it was - had no difficulty - very little changed. But I had a brand new slate

I have no idea how to find a "Windows.old Folder"
    I was so frustrated I just went BACK TO Windows 7 but I really would like to upgrade

Fergie1947, May 11, 2016
  6. lees Win User
    Yes this just happened to me last night!! I upgraded to windows 10 april 21 and this morning when I opened my laptop all my windows 7 icons were back on my desktop and I cannot find any of the files that I have created in windows 10. ( downloaded photos and word document). Just spent 2 hours on the phone with Best Buy geek squad and they have no clue. Please help, how to I find these windows 10 missing files?

7. dalchina New Member
    Hello, there are at least 3 possible reasons why your desktop icons may have disappeared when you upgrade from an older edition to Windows 10.
    a. You selected the option not to keep personal files and apps
    (See 17 here:
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    )
    b. Sthg went wrong during the upgrade
    c. Somehow you're logged in with a temporary profile - see
    Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 - Windows Help

There are plenty of threads on the topic of lost desktop icons on the forum to explore.

Here's Windows.olc

Update from Windows 7 to 10 [​IMG]

It's there for 30 days after
    - installing Win 10
    - repairing it using an in-place upgrade repair
    - installing a new major build

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  8. Update from Windows 7 to 10

You should have been given some options in terms of what to keep or what not to keep during the install. I would download the Media Creation Tool and run that to handle the upgrade.
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

Step 4 is where you'll want to start. The question I am referring to is shown in Step 17.

As for how to find the Windows.old folder, just check the root of C in File Explorer.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Update from Windows 7 to 10

1. Update from Windows 7 to 10 - Similar Threads - Update

2. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop freezes when updating windows 10: My laptop freezes when updating windows 10 and I force it to turn off by pressing the power button until it dies and when it starts up again it can't play valorant with error code VAL 5 and the laptop can't be shutdown, when I want to shutdown it will turn on again and so on....
  3. Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021

Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021: So recently I tried updating my computer which is running Windows 10 currently...to Windows 11 but the upgrade froze on a black screen and so I force-restarted my computer and it rolled back to Windows 10 with this error : We couldn't install Windows 11We've set your PC back...
  4. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop freezes when updating windows 10: My laptop freezes when updating windows 10 and I force it to turn off by pressing the power button until it dies and when it starts up again it can't play valorant with error code VAL 5 and the laptop can't be shutdown, when I want to shutdown it will turn on again and so on....
  5. Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021: So recently I tried updating my computer which is running Windows 10 currently...to Windows 11 but the upgrade froze on a black screen and so I force-restartes my computer and it rolled back to Windows 10 with this error : We couldn't install Windows 11We've set your PC back...
  6. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021

Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021: So recently I tried updating my computer which is running Windows 10 currently...to Windows 11 but the upgrade froze on a black screen and so I force-restartes my computer and it rolled back to Windows 10 with this error : We couldn't install Windows 11We've set your PC back...
  8. I recently did an update - and now none of my documents open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently did an update - and now none of my documents open: I recently did the updates - 2024-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 KB5036620 and 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5036893 - and after that, I can't open any of my Microsoft...
  9. I recently did an update - and now none of my documents open

I recently did an update - and now none of my documents open: I recently did the updates - 2024-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 KB5036620 and 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5036893 - and after that, I can't open any of my Microsoft...
  10. can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?

can a possibly broken CMOS battery effect windows update?: Okay, I am kind of worried about this and despite being told it's likely not possible for this to happen, can a normal windows update like a monthly or optional one messed up my laptop with a possibly damaged CMOS? clock isn't working properly, that's the only sign at the...