Windows 10: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Manually Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

How to Manually Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through which all the the Computer Configuration and User Configuration settings of Local Group Policy objects can be managed.

By default, computer and user Group Policy are updated in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes. In addition to background updates, Group Policy is always updated when the system starts.

After you make changes to group policies, you may want the changes to be applied immediately without waiting on the default refresh interval above to do so.

If you set group policies using Registry Editor on a local computer, then you may want to update group policy settings on the computer without having to restart the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to manually force an update of computer and user Group Policy settings in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to update Group Policy settings.

Note gpupdate command usage:

Syntax: gpupdate [/Target:{Computer | User}] [/Force] [/Wait:<value>] [/Logoff] [/Boot] [/Sync]

[table][tr][td]Parameter[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Target:{Computer | User}[/td] [td]Specifies that only User or only Computer policy settings are updated. By default, both User and Computer policy settings are updated.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Force[/td] [td]Reapplies all policy settings. By default, only policy settings that have changed are applied.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Wait:{value}[/td] [td]Sets the number of seconds to wait for policy processing to finish. The default is 600 seconds. The value '0' means not to wait. The value '-1' means to wait indefinitely. When the time limit is exceeded, the command prompt returns, but policy processing continues.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Logoff[/td] [td]Causes a logoff after the Group Policy settings are updated. This is required for those Group Policy client-side extensions that do not process policy on a background update cycle but do process policy when a user logs on. Examples include user-targeted Software Installation and Folder Redirection. This option has no effect if there are no extensions called that require a logoff.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Boot[/td] [td]Causes a computer restart after the Group Policy settings are applied. This is required for those Group Policy client-side extensions that do not process policy on a background update cycle but do process policy at computer startup. Examples include computer-targeted Software Installation. This option has no effect if there are no extensions called that require a restart.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]/Sync[/td] [td]Causes the next foreground policy application to be done synchronously. Foreground policy applications occur at computer start up and user logon. You can specify this for the user, computer or both using the /Target parameter. The /Force and /Wait parameters will be ignored if specified.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Update Both Computer and User Group Policy Settings
    • Option Two: To Update Only Computer Group Policy Settings
    • Option Three: To Update only User Group Policy Settings

EXAMPLE: Computer and User Group Policies

OPTION ONE [/i] To Update Both Computer and User Group Policy Settings
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command you want to use below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

(Updates only changed policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate

OR

(Updates all policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate /force

OPTION TWO [/i] To Update Only Computer Group Policy Settings

2. Enter the command you want to use below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

(Updates only changed computer policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate /target:computer

OR

(Updates all computer policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate /target:computer /force

OPTION THREE [/i] To Update only User Group Policy Settings

(Updates only changed user policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate /target:user

OR

(Updates all user policy settings)
    *Arrow gpupdate /target:user /force

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 19, 2018
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 26, 2019
  3. erocker Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Any Windows update breaks my Creative sound drivers. Best way for me is to disable it via group policy:

• Go to Run –> gpedit.msc
    • In the Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –> Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions
    • In the right hand pane, select “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings” and set it to Enabled.
    Once that's done, uninstall the driver Windows put in there and install the correct one.

erocker, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

Couldn't connect to windows group policy service????

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing as with error: Couldn't connect to windows group policy service, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know when exactly you received this error code?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted user profile, User Profile Service or Group Policy Client service stopped working, or Antivirus software conflicts.

I suggest you to check with the following and check if it helps.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service is disabled
    the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start
    the service and set it to Automatic:

services.msc
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Allan Mej Win User
    GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

You can change Group Policies by opening Group Policy Editor first. You can open it by following these steps:

• Log in an administrator account. If you are already logged in as an administrator, proceed to step 2.
    • Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

After opening Group Policy Editor, you can now make the necessary changes that you want.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

services.msc
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

services.msc
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

1. Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Update Group Policy

2. Bitlocker Group Policy settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Group Policy settings: Dear reader,I have a question about the bitlocker group policy settings. More specifically about the configuration of the pre-boot recovery message and URL. In the image below it's in Dutch you see the standard bitlocker recovery message. We know it is possible to include an...
  3. Group Policy settings missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Group Policy settings missing in Windows 10: If some of your Group Policy areas, settings, or folders are missing in Windows 10, then you need to re-register these DLL files. On a standalone computer, you normally use the Local Group Policy Editor, but on networked or AD computers you use Group Policy Management Editor....
  4. Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates: I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 for my home business. I want to set the Features Update schedule to be like the old "CBB" channel Features Updates deferred for a few months after general release. I go into Local Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative...
  5. Looking for group policy setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for group policy setting: that locks all connection ports when in lock screen. I actually set it today, but now forgot where it's at and I wanted to add it to my notes for future reference. I am not sure if it was from a tutorial on this site or elsewhere. I searched my history but came up empty. Is...
  6. Set group policy programatically

Set group policy programatically: How to set group policy programatically https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-group-policy-programatically/08fa07c5-cc34-457d-9220-f094b09089f3
  7. Group Policy Settings Windows 10

Group Policy Settings Windows 10: How does one reset all group plicies to default settings in windows 10. I have no executable named "gpedit". Thanks Peeps..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy-settings-windows-10/d99877a9-7349-49ec-91a5-aaf9edac8be4
  8. Group Policy Settings

Group Policy Settings: I just installed an update, lost my Stickies - destroying my world, & my default app settings are changing on their own. I contacted Microsoft after exhausting all available info online, had a remote session, 2 chats, and it is still broken. Does anyone know the steps to...
  9. Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings: Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10. Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update Settings" *Mad. In the past I've used Local Group Policy Editor​ to tweak the settings and make Windows notify me when I...
  10. Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically: Dear all I have windows 10 pro and I have edited the group policy for windows update and has set it to notify me to download. My problem is that after a few days windows automatically download updates and install them though I had set it to notify to download. It seems that...