Windows 10: Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install.

Discus and support Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Has anyone else had this happen ? I had got used to the previous Anniversary Update trimming and deleting the update history so that only the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mooly, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install.

Has anyone else had this happen ?

I had got used to the previous Anniversary Update trimming and deleting the update history so that only the last couple of months worth was available but this seems a bit drastic. I had two 'valuable' (or some such word that MS used) updates and two 'other' updates showing until recently. Now the history is blank.

Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Apr 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 Update History

I'm note sure the update history is being recorded correctly.

I understood that with each feature release e.g. the Anniversary or Creator releases, the update history is wiped clean and started afresh with the Feature release as the only entry. Please advise that this is how it should be. This worked when I installed
    the Anniversary Edition on all my machines. This is not the case with the Creator Edition.

I have already posted what happened when I updated one of my laptops; history wiped clean, blank entry only updated on next install.

I have a Windows 10 pro desktop running Insider Previews. Decided to update this machine to Creator Edition and opt out of further Preview Installs.

The update history indicates one feature update has been installed - Windows 10 Insider Preview 15063 (rs2_release). There is also indication of 17 Quality updates one of which is - Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4015583).
    Version 1703 is the Creator Edition. No Mention of Creator Edition Feature Release (!?) and still showing Preview Release (!?)

Finally how do I opt out of preview installs and revert to latest feature release. Thanks in anticipation

majestic100, Apr 25, 2017
  3. Monkey57 Win User
    Is there any way that I can recover my WU History in Settings>Update & security? Windows 10

3rd party programs will create issues in any OS. They are rarely able to keep up with the OS updates of today.

OneDrive for business is used by many home users that interface with their company data from their home computer, as well as their personal data in OneDrive (not Business).

Every program installed has an effect on the safety, security, and stability of a device, it is up to the user to determine if they are comfortable with the good/bad effect/balance. If you are having issues with 3rd party software (i.e. WinPatrol, Norton,
    etc), consider consulting their support forums for workarounds.

"Creator's has wiped the history clean"-> it is part of the update procedure.

"Major updates like the Creators Update usually clears the update history since all the older updates are already integrated into the updated Operating System."[Kristoffer Abs]

Monkey57, Apr 25, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Since mine is a clean install....from 4/14/17.....all mine are still there. What I mean by "all mine" is: I have 2 Quality Updates, 5 driver updates and 1 Other updates...and all have the same date as above.

No....all my previous versions of 10 have never been wiped cleaned. They've always showed up and stayed there. Unless there's some setting somewhere to do so which I'm not familiar with.

Plankton, Apr 25, 2017
  5. Mooly Win User
    Interesting.

I got used to seeing my previous update list get trimmed down so that only the last few updates showed. Quality... yes that's the word they used. I had two of those and two other updates. No trace of them in history now.

Mooly, Apr 25, 2017
  6. jamis Win User
    Creator's Update is in essence a new version of Windows, like going from W7 to W10, if you will. The update history on my system disappeared when I went to v. 1703 from the previous version. The update history on my system starts with 1703 and goes from there.

jamis, Apr 25, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    Yes, I would expect that. I had clean installed Creators Update and had the recent updates (yes its been updated already since launch) showing up until the other day.

Another update has just come along and shows normally.

Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install. [​IMG]

Mooly, Apr 26, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

I think I've found a partial answer to this.

In my case of the updates suddenly seeming to disappear, it seems to be caused by restoring a disk image made with Windows own backup utility. I would surmise that the history files are of a type extension that is ignored by Windows backup. I have been troubleshooting a weird network issue and using system images to ensure a consistent 'start point.

Mooly, Apr 28, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes. I restore system images regularly (see my test PC, System Two in 'my computers'). I can confirm that the update history is empty in the restored image. All the installed updates are still listed in the control panel though. In the (empty) update history, click on 'uninstall updates' and you'll see them.

10. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for confirming that, and also for showing how to see them. I have been making extensive use of disk images this last few days as I try to solve this weird issue.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update History has disappeared already. Clean Creators install. - Similar Threads - Update History has

2. Clean history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean history: Clean history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-history/a7272da7-131e-4472-9ec8-bd58a86ca2cd
  3. Clean history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean history: Clean history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-history/a7272da7-131e-4472-9ec8-bd58a86ca2cd
  4. Update history has disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update history has disappeared: I did a clean legal install of Win10 on Jan 6, 2020. Updates were immediately dowloaded including the features update 1909. Since then updates have been dowloading and installing normally and showing up in "installed updates". Today I looked at "installed updates" and...
  5. Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update: Hallo, my name is mochaffff. I want to ask about upgrading from windows 10 home to windows fall creators update, so my laptop acer swift 3 i7 is preloaded with w10 home, and i want to upgrade it to w10 fall creators update, but im confused how do upgrade it bcs i dont want...
  6. Update history disappeared

Update history disappeared: Hi Strange issue, I have just checked Windows update area in version 1803, last night I had the feature update listed and 2 driver updates but for some reason this morning it is blank... any idea what happened to the 3 items listed? I have run disk cleanup but cannot...
  7. creator update installed

creator update installed: Minor problems, (or annoyances), after installing. 1 problem remains, I play dominoes on playdrift, after update of creator now all the dominoes flash when they move, very annoying, game plays correctly. Did update change something causing this, did edge change something....
  8. "Run..." history has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Run..." history has disappeared.: Every now and then I use run to do something. Like run the Firefox Profile manager, regedit, etc. Typically the "Run" pulldown menu has the commands I had previouly run - which is convenient. But it is now blank. There is no record of previous commands even after I enter a...
  9. Windows 10 Creators Update - Clean installation

Windows 10 Creators Update - Clean installation: I just received Windows 10 Creators Update, and I also want to perform a clean installation, but does the Windows 10 download right now from Microsoft website contains this update? Or I will have to do a clean install, and then wait a bit (a few days, hours?), or, I will be...
  10. Clean install of Fall Creators Update and State Repository Service

Clean install of Fall Creators Update and State Repository Service: I did a clean install of Fall Creator's Update using bootable media and when I finished the clean install and went through OOBE while online and edge opened automatically. As soon as I clicked on the hyperlinks in Edge the app freezes and then the CPU reaches almost 100% on...