Windows 10: Update repeatedly trashing installation

Discus and support Update repeatedly trashing installation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello folks, as above, I have a laptop which appears to have been stuffed by an update. I have twice reinstalled win10 from usb, along with everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ramrod, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ramrod Win User

Update repeatedly trashing installation

Hello folks, as above, I have a laptop which appears to have been stuffed by an update. I have twice reinstalled win10 from usb, along with everything else and then an update has installed and sent me to a blue screen, none of the options on which have worked.

It seems I cannot prevent this update from screwing the machine and so am stuck in an endless loop of fixing the machine only for ms to force their duff update on it to trash it again.

The laptop is an acer travelmate b113 series which originally came with win 8 pro installed. I am installing win 10 pro as it had upgraded to 10 - I presume win 10 pro but was unable to verify due to the initial issue.

Any help much appreciated.

:)

Ramrod, Sep 20, 2017
  2. AceDublB Win User

Windows 10 Update KB3163017 repeatedly fails to install

Windows 10 trashed by PC and the technician said it is an epidemic with failed laptops and desktops.

My Acer laptop running Windows 10 has failed repeatedly to update costing me many hours and data cost.

Terribly frustrating, time to switch to Apple.

Microsoft doesn't look after their customers and products.

AceDublB, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Microsoft Account / Hotmail Sync problem

Anyone else having problems with keeping their Microsoft account sync'd?

Since Thursday, I am repeatedly getting the Error: 80C805E2 and my Microsoft Account/Hotmail will not sync.

Here's the thing, I can fix it, temporarily. If I empty the 'Trash' folder in my Hotmail account on the phone, I can then sync my Microsoft account - until I delete an email, and it then goes into the trash folder. Emptying trash will allow Sync to happen
    again. It is driving me mad.

Anyone else got this issue? Have Microsoft changed the folder name on the server (if I go to Hotmail/Outlook.com, it is called 'deleted' rather than 'trash' - I cannot remember if it has always been called this) - are the different names causing the issue?

Cheers,

Jason.

JasonKruys, Sep 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, to which update are you referring, and what is the Windows build to which it is being applied please?
    (Windows key + R, winver)
    or
    See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you have a look in the News section, you will find there is a thread on each separate update for the different builds, albeit you may have to be a bit patient in finding it as there are many news items.

Each is followed by discussion representing user experience of that update. There may be something relevant to you.

I suppose there's a possibility that something you've installed is incompatible with the update, or even that there's some obscure hardware incompatibility.

One way you can give yourself a second chance without reinstallation is to do what we so often and so strongly advocate- use disk imaging routinely, and keep your Windows image updated. (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage fore iage sets).

Thus- e.g.
    Clean install - check it works- then install Macrium and create your first base Windows backup (all Windows partitions)

Apply Windows update - update disk image

Install some progs/ settings - - update disk image

Further changes - update disk image

If something goes wrong, it's < 1 hour to restore an image and be back as you were.
    (Could be less if USB3 & SSD e.g.)

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  5. Ramrod Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which update is causing the problem. I rebooted after installing office and it said it was installing updates, then rebooted with the lovely and utterly useless blue screen.

I have a few 10 isos on my hard disk, one of which is 10 pro. I will post back with the version when I can identify it.

Unfortunately it's not my laptop as regards a disk image.

Ramrod, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Ramrod Win User
    Well your question about which version I have made me download a fresh copy. The one I had (not sure of version) was older and was labelled win 10 pro as opposed to the newer version (1703) which was just labelled windows and then gave me a choice of home/pro etc.

It still didn't install properly and gave me an error message 'windows could not prepare the computer to boot windows 10' but then proceeded to boot anyway. It had cortana rambling at me which the previous version didn't. As of now it seems to be working fine but that was the case previously until updates screwed it up.

I will endeavour to post back with an update as and when.

Ramrod, Sep 21, 2017
  7. Ramrod Win User
    Just to update this, I managed to turn off updates for 35 days and it did not throw up any errors until that point. No reports of issues since so it would appear that using an older version may have been the cause of the issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Ramrod, Oct 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, thanks for the updates. It's not clear what's been happening as we don't know which build or update is involved.

One thing that can happen to some PCs is that Windows updates a driver, and the driver update causes a problem. One point at which this may happen in particular is after a build upgrade.

- I'd be asking about available space, both on C: and possibly unallocated space on the system disk, assuming this was a build upgrade.

Also about the partitions- whether they are all on C: and whether there are duplicates or other Windows system partitions on other disks.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  9. Ramrod Win User
    I have the iso on my hard drive if there is any way of getting the build from that.

It was originally win8 I believe so yes it was an upgrade. There were a number of partitions which I left alone, but the partition I installed on was the previous OS partition and had plenty of space on it.

Ramrod, Oct 8, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    From post #2 - would be useful:
    Hi, to which update are you referring, and what is the Windows build to which it is being applied please?
    (Windows key + R, winver)

iso file:
    See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- this leaves me concerned about your present partition layout...

Could you post a screenshot using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding columns as necessary to ensure all text is visible?

Here's my EFI Windows for comparison:

Update repeatedly trashing installation [​IMG]

To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  11. Ramrod Win User
    I can't give you any of that information now as the laptop is back with its owner.

Even if I had it, I wouldn't be able to tell which update caused the problems. I think it was more my use of an older iso that caused the problems - I would imagine the updates sent out don't cater for older versions which is why I posted back - to help anyone else avoid encountering similar problems.

As for the partition layout, it's exactly as it was before the original issue occurred, everything worked fine after a reboot, and there was plenty of space, so it would appear that the 'could not boot' message was erroneous.

Ramrod, Oct 9, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Just want to throw this out as a possible cause for the errors. This laptop (TravelMate) runs a 2nd generation Sandy Bridge processor, which is not on Intel's Windows 10 supported list.

Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

It may be running into unsupported, outdated and/or missing drivers.

f14tomcat, Oct 9, 2017
  13. Ramrod Win User

Thanks for that. I will bear it in mind. With that being the case, it's a little surprising that win10 decided to install itself in the first place.

Ramrod, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update repeatedly trashing installation - Similar Threads - Update repeatedly trashing

2. New update is trash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New update is trash: Anyone else feeling like Windows gets worse with each update? This one takes the cake. Complete trash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-is-trash/d80b1468-d688-4ada-a6b8-c59ea1b3f04b
  3. New update is trash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New update is trash: Anyone else feeling like Windows gets worse with each update? This one takes the cake. Complete trash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-is-trash/d80b1468-d688-4ada-a6b8-c59ea1b3f04b
  4. Wifi is trash without wifi repeater

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi is trash without wifi repeater: Usually my wifi was good without the repeater. Once we got the repeater it improved. But now a days when the repeater disconnects my wifi on my pc is completly trash. Instead of a ping of 13 i have a base ping of 50-80 And my ping spikes to 1.4k every 10 seconds. *** In das...
  5. Windows 10 installing updates repeatedly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 installing updates repeatedly: Hi. I got two problems at the same time. I have a Windows 10 version 1803. Before, i had this problem where it can't update to anything. Then I had it solved. But, after that another, problem occured. Windows install updates repeatedly and my laptop keeps on restarting. I...
  6. kb4482887 repeated install in Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    kb4482887 repeated install in Update: On Mar 1 the Kb4482887 downloaded and did its install via the windows update. This laptop is not always on but it was this past 3 days and on Mar 7 noticed the update procedure taking place. It was the Kb4482887 installing again. [img] The only reference to the Mar 1 in...
  7. Installing Windows 10, repeating updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10, repeating updates: [IMG]I recently cleared everything and reinstalled windows 10 on an old computer, but after restarting, i got this screen. I hit okay and it updated, but when i checked on it 20 minutes later, it was on this screen again. I have done this at least 10 times today, and it just...
  8. Update downloads repeatedly but doesn't install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update downloads repeatedly but doesn't install: I wanted to ask that i had started the new windows 10 update assistant and begin the download . but when the download was done upto 100% then again it started from 0%. i thought there must a mistake and then again after 100% it began from 0% it happened with me and i just...
  9. Update repeatedly tries to install

Update repeatedly tries to install: I have a problem that Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2881030) 32-Bit Edition tries to install repeatedly, since windows automatically updated on 8th June. I have MS Office 64 bit installed, and the corresponding update has installed correctly for this. I cannot...
  10. Two Windows Updates repeatedly installing!

Two Windows Updates repeatedly installing!: Windows 10 10240 Since the middle of November the only Windows Updates that have downloaded are Security Update for Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Silverlight, Malicious Software Removal Tool and Update for Windows 8.1 forx64-based Systems (KB2990967) and Update for Windows...