Windows 10: Update & Security tab crashes

Discus and support Update & Security tab crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know if this is a "General Support" thing or it should be elsewhere - if I should move it let me know. New laptop, Windows 10 Home. Been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Update & Security tab crashes

I don't know if this is a "General Support" thing or it should be elsewhere - if I should move it let me know.

New laptop, Windows 10 Home. Been working fine. I opened the Update & Security tab to check Windows Defender. It worked FINE..... I hit the tab for "Windows Update" and it just sat there. Then it disappeared. Now, every time I go into Settings and select "Update & Security" it pops open then crashes.

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.10586.11, time stamp: 0x56457cb1
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10586.71, time stamp: 0x5699d8e0
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006fce8b
    Faulting process id: 0x14b4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d17d931b25e19d
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: 3038c5ba-256b-4da0-bdcc-69ee5c6a85d7
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Application Error.
    Event ID: 1000

I tried doing a safe boot and it crashed in that too. I looked online but didn't find anything about a settings tab crashing. All the other tabs appear to work normally.

What do now?

:)

GracieAllen, Mar 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 reset crashes

I did start my PC in safe mode in the past.This time if i enter safe mode and want to acces the Update&Security tab from Settings,the tab crashes on launch/ never launches with no error.Safe mode does not randomly restart.

RobertLorincz_96, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Activation information not loaded

I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. After a few days Windows is asking me to activate my Installation. After I clicked on activate I get redirected on the Activation tab under Update & Security. But the tab isn't loading or it's crashing.

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks

MattHudson1, Mar 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Update & Security tab crashes

Run system file check for corrupt files.
    It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Mar 13, 2016
  5. I continued searching while hoping for some ideas here...

I rand the sfc/scannow command and it reported "no integrity violations"

I ran dism / Online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    dism / Online /cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    dism / Online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth

None found any problems.

I also tried running Windows Update from an elevated command window:
    C:\Windows\System32\control.exe /name Microsoft.WindowsUpdate

Pops open and instantly goes away. I looks just like the windows from settings, so I'm still not sure exactly what piece in there is causing the problem.

I ALSO, from the same command window, did a
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits

It said NEITHER service was running. I then did a

net start wuauserv

net start bits

then tried the settings window again. Still started and crashed immediately.

I also ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update, which found nothing.

What do now?

GracieAllen, Mar 13, 2016
  6. Um, guys, I MAY have found it...

As I said, laptop has only been here 2 days. I haven't had TIME to screw it up yet! I put on some of the software I use, and set up the desktop and so on.

This evening I activated the fer-real administrator account and tried that. Still crashed. Tried some OTHER stuff. Still crashed.

FINALLY, in desperation I took Black Viper's services optimization list and walked through the whole &^%$# bunch of services to see what was different......... BV says the windows search service should be on Automatic (Delayed start). MINE WAS DISABLED... I did a bit of rummaging and found a discussion that said if you have a boot SSD, which this box does, Windows Search should be disabled... I have NO idea why, but once it set it to automatic and turned it on, the Windows Update stopped crashing...............

Anyhow, I'm thinking when they installed Windows 10 at the "factory", they did me the favor of disabling windows search since I've got a boot SSD...

NEAR AS I CAN TELL, IT'S FIXED.....

GracieAllen, Mar 14, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Nice piece of investigative work.

If satisfied, please mark your own thread Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 14, 2016
  8. Update & Security tab crashes

More like a blind squirrel stumbling around and eventually tripping over a nut! But, so far it's playing nicely...

GracieAllen, Mar 15, 2016
  9. gonzaha Win User
    I was the same problem and service Orchestrator was stopped. *Smile

gonzaha, Jul 10, 2016
  10. You will get this error if you delete the 'Windows Security' service or the file it uses.
    Has nothing to do with Windows Search , Orchestrator or any other windows service.

kevinikolai, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Update & Security tab crashes

1. Update & Security tab crashes - Similar Threads - Update Security tab

2. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs: I was looking to update my device to Windows 11 when I realized that there were missing tabs in the update and security section.I looked through another thread where someone had a similar issue but none of the solutions worked....
  3. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs: I was looking to update my device to Windows 11 when I realized that there were missing tabs in the update and security section.I looked through another thread where someone had a similar issue but none of the solutions worked....
  4. My Updates and Security is Missing Tabs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. no security tab in properties?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    no security tab in properties?: VER: 21H1 19043.1110 There is no security tab in properties and the files and folders are padlocked, so I can't change permissions/ownership? The files are on a USB pendrive, copied from a previous PC (the whole downloads folder infact!). I've tried the: 1) Simply type Win+R...
  6. Security tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security tab: Should USB flash drive with fat 32 file have a security tab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-tab/e07f1467-3780-4caa-803a-5b7f9cdfffc0"
  7. windows "security and updates" tab is crashing in settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows "security and updates" tab is crashing in settings: so i wanted to check for updates but the settings app keeps crashing when i click on "security and updates" . things i tried: i tried sfc/scannow i tried chkdsk i tried dism image thingy and i havent found a solution yet , i want help as soun as possible thanks...
  8. "Windows Update" Tab Missing Under "Update & Security"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Windows Update" Tab Missing Under "Update & Security": Hello, I noticed a few days ago that the "Windows Update" Tab in the "Update & Security" section of the Settings App had disappeared. [ATTACH] I've done all the basic troubleshooting steps, sfc, etc, nothing is reporting any errors or issues. I would prefer not to...
  9. No Security Tab In Properties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Security Tab In Properties: So I wanted to move music from my computer to a USB drive, but when I got there there was no security tab to change permissions. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Stagcraft184...
  10. Update and Security tab error in Settings app

in Windows 10 Support
    Update and Security tab error in Settings app: I just installed Windows 10 and need to update my antivirus. I need to access Windows Update but whenever I click on the Update and Security tab in the Settings app the tab opens but then the app freezes. This happens every time I do this so I cannot update my system. Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Update & Security tab crashes