Windows 10: Update symlinks after moving target folder

Discus and support Update symlinks after moving target folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a photographer who recently started using symlinks to classify my photos into categories (read folders) on my windows 10 laptop. The target... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kumaramesh, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Update symlinks after moving target folder

Hi,
    I'm a photographer who recently started using symlinks to classify my photos into categories (read folders) on my windows 10 laptop. The target RAW files stay in folders on a removable HDD. Issue: I need to move the target folders a little (one step up or down the tree), and rename one of them. The filenames remain unchanged. Is there any program or utility out there which will allow me to change the symlink targets to point to the new locations, in batches, without me having to delete all the dead symlinks and create them again? Basically update the links the symlinks point to? *Huh
    Thanks

:)

kumaramesh, Nov 15, 2017

2. Does symlink feature change in aniversary update?

Hi,

I have been running Google Earth Pro fine before the update.

I used to create symlink of Earth Pro cache to RamDisk

After the update, Google Earth turns blackscreen.

Remove symlink and restore cache folder, Earth works.

So it is apparently that symlink feature changes?

Thanks

おとめ座 ひなたぼっこ, Nov 15, 2017
  3. Shortcut Target Path changes from local to network location

Symlinks appear interesting but I'm not sure how they would solve the problem. If I go directly to the folder on the remote PC to grab a file Windows does not try to change the target path of that folder, it's only if I access it through the shortcut on
    the remote PCs desktop (and it only effects the shortcut, not the file folder the shortcut points to)

SEwing1243, Nov 15, 2017
  4. Update symlinks after moving target folder

I suspect that Windows can handle this automatically ...

SETUP
    I created a folder on the desktop called "m" for master, and I put a file there called "f.txt".
    I created a shortcut on the desktop that references that "f.txt" file.
    So ... the shortcut references "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\m\f.txt"

TESTING
    With Windows Explorer ...
    I created a new folder on the desktop called "new".
    I moved the "m" master folder into the "new" folder.
    The desktop shortcut still works!
    It now references "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\new\m\f.txt"
    Perfect!

Then I renamed the "m" folder to "n".
    Once again the desktop shortcut works.
    It now references "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\new\n\f.txt"
    Perfect!

All of this works because the moving and renaming was done with Windows Explorer.
    I'm pretty sure it will NOT work from a console command prompt.

OPEN QUESTION
    This works properly for the internal C: drive.
    Will it work with an external drive? I don't know.
    Do a simple test ... just a couple of files ... and see if it works.

margrave55, Nov 15, 2017
  5. Thanks @margrave55

To check, I moved two files into their parent folder and tried accessing them again using the symlinks. Didn't work. No error message, but the files didn't open either. Basically nothing happened. I moved the files back again, and the symlinks worked once more.

Did you create symlinks or shortcuts? I suspect shortcuts would update the paths themselves, but symlinks wont. Not sure about the difference between an external drive vs the internal drive, but my files need to be on an external HDD.

kumaramesh, Nov 15, 2017
  6. Pirx Win User
    Margrave used shortcuts, which are useless for your (and just about any other non-trivial) purpose.
    For non-trivial symlink handling I would highly recommend you get yourself Schinagl's link shell extension, pretty much the gold standard for this kind of work.

7. Thanks Pirx,

The symlinks were made using link shell extension, and work just fine. There's no provision for moving the target files around, though (at least from what I understand).

kumaramesh, Nov 15, 2017
  8. Pirx Win User

Update symlinks after moving target folder

You are creating symlinks to folders, right? The way I understand your scenario at least there's no good reason to directly symlink individual files, anyway. If you do use symlinks to folders you would be able move around the files within the linked folders in any way you like. Link shell extension can also create a number of more spiffy link constructs (like a "Delorean copy" and similar stuff), but I have never used those. It's possible that one of these better matches your use case, so you could look into these as well.

9. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Nov 16, 2017
  10. @Pirx I've actually linked to files rather than folders. Of all the options available in link shell extension, I thought this was the simplest and easiest for my case *Confused. Guess not.
    The setup: I place the original files in folders according to the date and place of shoot on the HDD, and place them in folders with symlinks to the original files on my internal SSD using a theme based classification (e.g. all the shots of Elephants in one folder, Giraffes in another one etc.). Organizing these files have taken me weeks, and I now wish to move the target folders around just a wee bit. There should have been no need, but I made a mistake in the name with two folders containing thousands of files each. @topgundcp I already have this installed

kumaramesh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Update symlinks after moving target folder

1. Update symlinks after moving target folder - Similar Threads - Update symlinks moving

2. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing: I am in a pinch. I have some users in a domain that I need to move the 'Documents' Folder to another location. However when I go to the Location tab, the buttons to do dis are missing. Some users are OK and some are not. I looked into the GPO and containers and cannot find...
  3. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing: I am in a pinch. I have some users in a domain that I need to move the 'Documents' Folder to another location. However when I go to the Location tab, the buttons to do dis are missing. Some users are OK and some are not. I looked into the GPO and containers and cannot find...
  4. User Profile Folders - Restore, Move and Find Target Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?: TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the folder, but exclude one of the sub-folders? Hi all. I have a question about Windows symlinks. Here is my setup: I have two...
  6. startin and target folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startin and target folders: hello, how do i check where my target and startin folders are for steam emu?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startin-and-target-folders/ba0912e3-b518-49aa-b777-fe843148fb1c
  7. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  8. Folder names changed after folder move

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder names changed after folder move: I have windows 10. I am working with pictures. I created a new file folder and moved about 30 other folders under the new folder. The 30 folders all had names I had created. After the move, all those folder name are gone and just the date of each file folder is there. I...
  9. Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Will Symlinks help me with connecting to folders in the older drive?: Hello folks, Just installed 250GB SSD as my OS drive. The old 1TB drive will replace the DVD drive in the laptop. Ideally, I do not want anything on the OS/System drive other than the OS. I want to point all data to the older drive. This includes all user folders like...
  10. Target for a folder full of links will be moved

in Windows 10 Support
    Target for a folder full of links will be moved: I have a folder that contains links to programs that reside in various other folders, called SysTools. I like to have the links for tools I use for various things in one place. I'm copying the SysTools folder to my Laptop and need to change all the Target drives from...