Windows 10: Update to 17063 fails - inaccessible boot device

Discus and support Update to 17063 fails - inaccessible boot device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having problems updating 17046 to either 17063 and 17074. Update seems to work up until it reboots I then get a GSOD inaccessible boot device, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kodi, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Kodi Win User

Update to 17063 fails - inaccessible boot device

Having problems updating 17046 to either 17063 and 17074.
    Update seems to work up until it reboots I then get a GSOD inaccessible boot device, it reboots and the same happens (GSOD).
    The System then reverts to my old version (17046).
    Thanks
    Brian

:)

2. [SOLVED] Windows 10 "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE after Windows 10 restart

Repair is not working

Not a change to the hardware and no failure of the equipment

Had a customer call me with the same issue

beginning to look like a failed update to Windows 10

AndrewCrawford1, Jan 12, 2018
  3. inaccessible boot device

I get a blue error screen. Computer failed to restart and asks me to contact Windows stop code and say that that problem is inaccessible boot device.

PepeGarciaDT, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Update to 17063 fails - inaccessible boot device

Try disabling virtualization in your BIOS if you haven't.

cyberrufus, Jan 12, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    1) Find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    4) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    5) Open the BIOS and temporarily change boot order so that you can boot using the flash drive.
    6) When the iso loads choose language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    7) In the left lower corner click "repair your computer"
    8) Click troubleshoot
    9) Click command prompt
    This should open: Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

For all of the steps please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.

10) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    11) This may display osdevice partition=C:
    12) type: diskpart
    13) type: list disk
    14) type: list volume
    15) look under the column heading Fs for any volume that displayed RAW instead of NTFS
    16) type: chkdsk /f /r G: (change G to the drive letter of the volume displaying RAW)
    It may display "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt."
    This may then convert the RAW volume to NTFS.
    17) Type: exit
    18) reboot to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu > command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    19) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
    It may display:
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
    Please wait, since this may take a while...
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] D:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/ALL(A):
    20) Type: Y
    The operation completed successfully.
    X:\Windows>
    21) Type: exit
    22) reboot
    See if the inaccessible boot device problem was fixed.

If the above did not fix the inaccessible boot device the next step is to remove the recent update:
    23) Open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    24) From the first command displaying the partition if the drive letter is different than C: please use the displayed drive letter for the next step
    25) type: DISM /image:G:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (change G to the applicable drive letter)
    26) This should remove the latest update and fix the inaccessible boot device.
    27) If this does not fix the inaccessible boot device plan a registry repair.

Report into the thread your progress with images of the above steps.

zbook, Jan 12, 2018
  6. Kodi Win User
    Thank you for your help, I have decided to do a clean install and get rid of all the junk I have collected over a long time

7. EdTittel Win User
    There's an ongoing discussion on this topic on the Insider MVP forums, particularly in connection with ASUS devices. MS is aware of this and is looking for a fix (with ASUS involved where that plays in). No fixes as yet, so the word on the street is to stick with the previous release and wait for future relief.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 14, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Jan 14, 2018
  9. sfuller Win User
    Asus X99 -- 17074.1002 still gives me GSOD inaccessible boot device. Have tried disabling other drives, virtualization, VT-D, etc, installing from ISO, etc in 17063 and 17074.1001.

sfuller, Jan 20, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

When you performed the clean install what steps were made and what did you see as it was being performed?

zbook, Jan 20, 2018
  11. sfuller Win User
    Update--Asus X99 -- 17074.1002 still gives me GSOD inaccessible boot device. Have tried disabling other drives, virtualization, VT-D, etc, installing from ISO, etc in 17063 and 17074.1001. I clean installed 17604 successfully. It will not install 17618--same exact inaccessible boot device message. Boot drive was sata Samsumg EVO 850, now NVMe 960.

sfuller, Mar 8, 2018
  12. Hi,
    It's an M.2 drive or pci-e device ?

ThrashZone, Mar 8, 2018
  13. sfuller Win User

M.2, but also failed when SSD was attached to sata port.

sfuller, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Update to 17063 fails - inaccessible boot device - Similar Threads - Update 17063 fails

2. inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    inaccessible boot device: I cannot boot win10. I get the message 'inaccessible boot device'. I have tried recovery, repair, backing off last update and still get the error. I can boot the system off of a mirror of the drive so have ruled out the hardware other than the original SSD. The recovery...
  3. Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inaccessible boot device: I am currently getting inaccessible boot device in normal boot and safe boot together and im so sad that i cant open the laptop , im going to share with you all how the problem began , i hope someone can fix it for me1 - I formated the laptop System drive via cloud reinstall...
  4. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: Hey so I recently ordered an acre aspire 5 labtop from Amazon that was renewed and when I got it the security seal was ripped. Didn’t think much from it until I opened it and started using it for a little bit. I started to notice that the computer was really out of date and...
  5. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: Hi, so I have been cleaning up my PC, deleting temp files. After that, I restarted my PC, and I was met with inaccessible boot device BSOD. I have tried...
  6. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessible Boot Device: I recently restarted my computer only to get the BSoD error "Inaccessible boot device" which put my computer in a restart loop. I did a few things and was unsuccessful in fixing the error so I did a system restore and managed to get back in. Anything I can do to properly fix...
  7. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible Boot Device: I fired up my PC yesterday morning and was welcomed by the dreaded BSOD. It told me that it had run into a problem caused by an inaccessible boot device. There are numerous help sites on the web that explain how to deal with this issue. I tried every one of them bar one and...
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible Boot Device: Hello there!!! So, recently I put a new SSD on my laptop and I have kept the old HDD one as an external drive. The SSD has Xubuntu and the HDD Windows 10 and Lite (tried to dualboot it some time ago). When I connect the old HDD I the laptop and have the Boot Manager start...
  9. Fail to boot after Update May 2020 - Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fail to boot after Update May 2020 - Inaccessible boot device: After update in May Windows doesn't start any more. Blue screen with message above. Run any proposed ways of repairing... but didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fail-to-boot-after-update-may-2020-inaccessible/f3364a1f-df96-4aab-b71e-ad82f0f38cd3
  10. inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    inaccessible boot device: Hello, My computer HP probook 6470b is stuck on a blue screen "inaccessible boot device" when I try to boot it. It happened after installing the new windows update. Unfortunately using a restoring point doesn't work... If you are wondering, my HD SSD is working well, I...