Windows 10: update to retail version

Discus and support update to retail version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I dont recall seeing this anywhere; but pardon me if it was posted and I just never noticed; but; will we be able to get a free upgrade to the full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt Siegel, Aug 16, 2015.

1. update to retail version

I dont recall seeing this anywhere; but pardon me if it was posted and I just never noticed; but; will we be able to get a free upgrade to the full retail version of 10 once that becomes available?

:)

Matt Siegel, Aug 16, 2015

2. After upgrading from (Retail Version) Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Can I transfer license to new Desktop?

Hello Tomity,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

You may install Windows 7 in the new computer and activate it. After activating the OS, you may upgrade it to Windows 10.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Aug 16, 2015
  3. Tomity2 Win User
    After upgrading from (Retail Version) Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Can I transfer license to new Desktop?

Hi there

I bought a custom build desktop in Spain a few years ago with Retail Version of Windows 7 Ultimate. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. There was a problem with the language settings so I had to do re-install Windows 10 Pro. Everything works fine now.

I am thinking of buying a new custom build desktop. If I do so can I transfer the Windows 10 license to my new Desktop? Do I have to do this by way of installing Windows 7 or can I install directly Windows 10? How would i do this in Fall/Autumn after the
    Windows 7 to 10 upgrade deadline has passed?

Tomity2, Aug 16, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

update to retail version

The free upgrade is the same as the retail version.

BunnyJ, Aug 16, 2015
  5. bunny; what about the fact that i coulda sworn I recall reading somewhere that it will be free for 1 year; after which time we would have to "buy" a retail key in order to keep the upgrade version fully functioning?

Matt Siegel, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    That is not the case the free upgrade is available to install for 1 year meaning if you don't upgrade within that time you will then have to purchase.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is free is the ability to upgrade a computer already running Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 for 1 year. Once the computer is upgraded, Windows 10 will be free to install on that same computer for the life of that same computer - via clean install of Windows 10, if you choose to. During future installs of Windows 10 just skip entering a product key when it asks for one and it will activate based up information stored previously on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

update to retail version

Yes.. after one year you would have to purchase the retail copy. But right now the upgrade version and the retail will be the same.

BunnyJ, Aug 16, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, he won't. Unless he wants to install Windows 10 on a new computer or does a major change to hardware such as change the motherboard. Even then he might be able to call Microsoft for activation.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Did you read the OP?

BunnyJ, Aug 16, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    So how about this for the answer - with the free upgrade you get the full retail version with the single exception of being able to transfer it to a new computer or major hardware change after 28 July 2016. In essence, even though it is supposed to be a retail license (which Microsoft has shown they will honor when pressed to do so), it is actually an OEM license - but the version and functionality of Windows 10 is full and complete - just not transferability.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  12. neomatter Win User
    LCDR is correct. The free upgrade is exactly the same as the retail version. The only difference is the licensing. That's it.

neomatter, Aug 16, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

update to retail version

I think that's what I said in post #2.

BunnyJ, Aug 16, 2015
  14. Bazz Win User
    I took the OP that he thought he was going to have to pay for it after the year was up however I could be wrong in my assumption.

15. BunnyJ New Member
    I think he meant that would he get to upgrade for free from the build we got on the 29th to the upcoming retail version.. and they're going to be the same.

BunnyJ, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

update to retail version

1. update to retail version - Similar Threads - update retail version

2. Digital license retail versions.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license retail versions.: I have 2 retail cd keys education and enterprise that I can no longer use as they say they are in use on other devices. The education one I know which computer its on and I did a slmgr /upk and unlicensed the edu version and formatted the computer and put the OEM version and...
  3. Digital license retail versions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license retail versions.: I have 2 retail cd keys education and enterprise that I can no longer use as they say they are in use on other devices. The education one I know which computer its on and I did a slmgr /upk and unlicensed the edu version and formatted the computer and put the OEM version and...
  4. Digital license retail versions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The retail version of Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The retail version of Windows 11: Hi. Please tell me when will the retail version of Windows 11 start selling in the Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-retail-version-of-windows-11/37ff271a-b6ef-416f-a158-38350c12bde8
  6. Retail version question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail version question: Just bought a retail version of windows 10 pro from Newegg. Is there anyway to know what version or build that my flash drive has on it? submitted by /u/ztbcs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gaaeqd/retail_version_question/
  7. Windows 10 Retail Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Retail Version: Can I Install Windows 10 Retail Version(Purchased) in multiple PC at a time? If so, how many times can I do that and how to install that product to another laptop with the same product key?...
  8. Retail version or OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version or OEM version: Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM...
  9. windows 10 retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 retail version: hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been on my shelf about a year, will i still be able to use it at some point? thank you, *Smile 94340
  10. Retail version of 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version of 10 pro: I've noticed that retail versions of 10 are available, do the purchasers have the same rights to chop and change as was possible with older Windows? 41814