Windows 10: Update window hangs with metered wifi

Discus and support Update window hangs with metered wifi in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I click check for updates with metered wifi, it hangs for last one day. [img] How to go about it. It happens frequently. 90071 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lvgandhi, Jul 28, 2017.

1. lvgandhi Win User

Update window hangs with metered wifi

When I click check for updates with metered wifi, it hangs for last one day.

Update window hangs with metered wifi [​IMG]

How to go about it. It happens frequently.

:)

lvgandhi, Jul 28, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 28, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Update Settings

Hi,

Yes, you will still get automatic updates on your device with Ethernet connection once you set your WiFi connection as metered. But note that when you use your WiFi connection,
    Windows Update will only download priority updates. To change WiFi connection to metered, see this

link
    and refer to "How do I change my current network connection to metered (or non-metered)?".

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Lizette Ags, Jul 28, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Jul 28, 2017
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    As I have only one GB limit per day at present wifi, I keep it metered as some updates are more than a GB. But I don't understand why Windows10 should keep hanging at metered wifi. Checking after update also takes much time.

lvgandhi, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Nor sure, but it might be that the OS stops the update when it sees that you're over your limit or your update process is flawed. If flawed, that needs to get fixed first. That's why the attempt to fix in my last post. I'm trying to think of a way that's best for you with 1GB/day limit so as not to waste data. We may find a way to update in chunks. I appreciate what you've answered so far, but please answer all the questions asked so to better help you.

Open Settings app > System > About.

Which edition do you have? Pro, Home, Enterprise, etc? 32 or 64 bit? Which build number?

Is this a regular daily update (such as Defender) or accumulative? We need to know where your system is at in time. You may want to show a shot or list the updates you have so far in update history.

What antivirus do you have?

Do you have that C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder?

Do you know anyone that has more data access with their computer to download updates to an exterior drive so you can use it to install?

Tony K, Jul 28, 2017
  7. lvgandhi Win User
    I would like to know what is flawed update?
    Answers to your questions.
    I have windows 64bit Home edition with version 15063.483
    It is daily update.
    After running the provided bat, update list is as follows.

Update window hangs with metered wifi [​IMG]

I don't have any antivirus. I have Malwarebytes run periodically, not started with windows.
    Yes I have C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
    Nobody else have access to my laptop.
    When wifi is metered, speed of checking for update or download is slowed even for daily update and hangs. With same wifi, ifI remove metered, speed goes normal.

lvgandhi, Jul 29, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

The update itself being downloaded is not flawed. It’s the Windows Update aspect (section) of your OS is or was broken (flawed).

I see it’s fixed now since the latest update installed.

Did you delete everything in that folder too as part of the fix?

That would not be considered a daily OS update, but rather an Office update. I assume you have your updates set to manual so you have control as to what gets updated, yes?

“Speed goes normal” and it also finishes to install the update? If that be the case, I have no idea why that is. I suggest you run these 2 in this order. Make sure to run SFC three times even if it says nothing is found. It will take some time. you can continue to use your PC while they run.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

It’s recommended that you use an antivirus (AV) for real-time protection. You should at least run Defender, which is most efficient with system resources. I’m not a fan of 3rd party software/programs/apps, especially those that take control of some aspect of the system. Defender uses far less system resources and runs at kernel level.

However, I can see why you don’t use it due to your data usage cap. Yet again, however, any scan software needs to update as well, therefore you may be defeating your purpose so far as saving data with a daily update. I know a Defender daily update is but a few KBs. How often do you scan with Malwarebytes?

An alternative to Malwarebytes is native scanners.

Malicious Software Removal Tool in Windows Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

This one will use up data, but you may consider running it from time to time.

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

The question was “Do you know anyone that has more data access with their computer to download updates to an exterior drive so you can use it to install?” In other words, do you know anyone that has a computer that will download the updates to an exterior drive such as a USB thumb drive or DVD for you, then you can use it in your PC to manually install the update so to save data? I suggest that would be performed once a month.

Another thing is that the Fall Creators update is coming up next month and it will be huge in data download. You may want to consider having someone to create an ISO on a thumb drive using the Media Creation Tool to clean install. If so, make sure you back up all your personal files to load afterwards.

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Another data saving idea I thought of is to turn off as much telemetry as possible if you haven’t done so already. Open Settings app (Hold Windows key + I) > Choose “Privacy” > Turn off as much as possible that you deem fitting. You may want to click the “Learn more” link at the top right to read up on the subject.

Tony K, Jul 29, 2017
  9. lvgandhi Win User
    Thanks for the response.
    I have checked dism and sfc and check weekly also. Nothing wrong in my system.
    I have done clean install after creators update.
    Still problem with metered wifi.

lvgandhi, Jul 29, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome.

Have no idea how to fix the metered WiFi update problem. Hopefully someone else does. Only thing I can think of at this point is a system repair.

Create System Repair Disc in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Update window hangs with metered wifi - Similar Threads - Update window hangs

2. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi: I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered. In particular, on 27/07 the system downloaded KB4565483 while I was connected to my cellphone hotspot clearly marked `metered` since long ago. It incurred me the...
  3. New Wifi default to metered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Wifi default to metered: In Windows 10, is there anyway to have any new wifi network (not a mobile network, but rather a friends house) added default to "metered connection". I know how to change a wifi to metered, but would like to have the default set to metered as soon as it's connected, to avoid...
  4. METERED WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    METERED WIFI: I mistakenly metered my WIFI and want to reverse it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-wifi/a6a8f278-bf63-4af4-8edf-2679d54b77fe
  5. Metered wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered wifi: I cannot complete downloads because metered wifi is on, this I think needs to be changed and as far as I can make out I have to change form Administrator acc to user acc, but I can't find how to do that....
  6. Wifi signal meter in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi signal meter in taskbar: Windows 10: wifi notification works in safe mode, does not in normal mode? I have exhausted my knowledge and I come to you for help. Running Windows 10 home on laptop. System specifics: Computer Profile Summary Computer Name: HP-15-NOTE (in PCDRNV) — PCDRNV Profile Date:...
  7. AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.: I have read update problem under metered connection is solved in AU. I having 14393.105. Still in my metered wifi connection, it shows automatically "Downloading updates 0%" and hangs when I go to updates section of settings. 62879
  8. Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi

Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi: Previously in metered connection wifi, if update is selected, it used to shown warning and then update. In 1607, update just hangs in metered wifi, even after selecting and clicking the option. Any one faced this? Any solutions? 59730
  9. metered updates

metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...
  10. Metered wifi and bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered wifi and bluetooth: What is the connection between metered wifi and bluetooth. When my wifi is metered, I get message as shown in pic below. [img] 63186