Windows 10: Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

Discus and support Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I shut down my laptop last night, get the dreaded black screen, and the little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN, really.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by janiemu, Aug 15, 2018.

1. janiemu Win User

Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

I shut down my laptop last night, get the dreaded black screen, and the little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN, really. Why is this still a problem, and like someone else posted... Why can we not opt out of updates

:)

janiemu, Aug 15, 2018

2. Personalized setting not responding

so i did a update. And everything is normal until i sign in. All black screen with a little white box saying personalized setting not responding. I cant click anything. Or open anything up

BritneyCedillo, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Personalized Settings (Not Responding) - white box on black screen after an update

I have been using Windows 10 for many months so this is not related to the upgrade to Win10, AFAIK.

Today, I downloaded the following recent update which was not available even yesterday:

2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102)

Upon restarting, it did it's initializing of telling me it's doing the update, then it brings me to the usual Win10 desktop photo, the one with the huge date on the left where you click to replace it with the usual logon screen. I log in, all seems well.

However, soon my screen goes black except for a small rectangular pop-up in the upper left corner. The content of the pop-up is blank, no text, only a white area, while the header of this pop up states
    Personalized Settings (Not Responding).

I can jiggle my mouse to make the cursor appear on my black screen, and hovering the cursor inside the white area of the pop-up changes it from an arrow to an hourglass. Clicking my mouse inside this pop-up seems to have no effect, and this pop-up and black
    screen remains for what seems like a long 2 minutes or more. Next, a second pop-up appears, somewhat overlapping the first pop-up, and this second one says
    Windows Explorer is not responding and asks me to choose between
    Close the program or Wait for program to respond.

I chose neither, preferring to wait it out, which did not take long, and the black screen and two pop-ups disappeared, replaced by my normal desktop image with all of my desktop icons where they should be.

This whole thing with the black screen and pop-ups happened only
    once before, last week, just after I downloaded a Microsoft update. In between that instance and this second instance, all of my daily logons have been normal and uneventful, having no black screen or pop-ups, and all went directly from my login screen
    to my expected desktop screen. To test that this issue occurs only in conjunction with a Microsoft update as of late, I restarted my computer just before opening this thread and once again it worked fine, no issue.

So, I don't know what's going on and since I cannot seem to recreate the issue at will, it appears to be connected to a download of Microsoft updates, but only the first Restart after the update, and only since last week.

It does not sound like I am remiss in anything I am doing. It sounds like the login process cannot access wherever it is my personalized settings are stored (whatever they are). I do not know what negative consequence this issue holds for me.

I offer this thread for comment and in case anyone else has encountered this same issue in relation to downloading a Microsoft update. To clarify, I have seen a thread or two about this
    Personalized Settings (Not Responding) but they were years old and/or in relation to an upgrade to Win10. My circumstance is different, as I explained.

Thank you.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Private&Private, Aug 15, 2018
  4. Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

Personalized Settings (Not Responding) - white box on black screen after an update

I am the OP. I haven't tried any of the nice advice offered and still receive the small white box on black screen, but now it's seldom. It was my PC desktop that had had it. The other day, it happened to my laptop for the first time. It may have been in
    response to the update KB4056892 of Jan-4-2018. At least that is consistent with my perception that this box, when it occurs, always follows an update.

It seems like a benign thing.

Thank you.

Private&Private, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

1. Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,... - Similar Threads - Updated Black screen

2. White boxes in Tiles in Start Menu, again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    White boxes in Tiles in Start Menu, again: I've researched many recent threads about this and tried many of the solutions suggested. I get white boxes that show up in the upper left corner of tiles in the start menu. This is a VirtualBox VM running on a Windows 10 host. I have updated everything related to...
  3. DirectQ shows me a black screen and then I have to restart my personal

in Windows 10 Support
    DirectQ shows me a black screen and then I have to restart my personal: My previous personal computer that installed Windows 7 could play DirectQ with no problem at all.My current personal computer that installed Windows 10 doesn't play DirectQ anymore.Instead both the title and caption says everything.What's wrong? 168079
  4. White Box on screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    White Box on screen: I have a user who has an intermittent problem. The user gets a white box screen from time to time. When the user encounter this problem, the user can not interact with the white portion of the box. I updated Windows and the graphics driver. I seen similar threads, but the...
  5. No or little responce to the black/white screen after log-in

in Windows 10 Support
    No or little responce to the black/white screen after log-in: Hello, I'm using W10 Pro 64bit v1903 and after entering my password, the screen goes to a black blank screen for about 30 seconds after which, a white screen appears with a bit of standard text on it, mostly about 'ease of access' and that's it!! This all happened early...
  6. Personalized Setting Not Responding on black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Personalized Setting Not Responding on black screen: After kb4556799 update Windows 10 started getting black screen with "Personalized Settings Not Responding after Windows Sign In and neither Task Manager response nor can I start in Safe Mode. I deleted the "Latest Feature update" and "latest quality update" to no avail. I...
  7. at start boots into blue screen with a little white box requires me to log in with a...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    at start boots into blue screen with a little white box requires me to log in with a...: I don't think I asked question correctly, but https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-start-boots-into-blue-screen-with-a-little/ab464bcf-c0d6-4cde-bd7b-c8b7df58ce60
  8. Little box showing screen size

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Little box showing screen size: Why does a little box showing screen size continually pop up and interupt what program I am in and how do I stop it? I have turned off notifications but that did no good. This is very annoying and I can find no reason for it. Just one more thing that makes me hate Windows 10....
  9. White Box on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    White Box on screen: The users has a dual screen setup. The scale and layout is at 150% on both screens. The user gets this screen see below intermittently on both. The user is unable to interact with that white portion when it appears. The following troubleshooting steps was performed:...
  10. Set-VpnConnectionTriggerDnsConfiguration tells me I have no DnsSuffix set for VPN...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set-VpnConnectionTriggerDnsConfiguration tells me I have no DnsSuffix set for VPN...: PS C:\mydir> Add-VpnConnection -Name "Contoso" -ServerAddress "test.contoso.com" -DnsSuffix "contoso" -TunnelType IKEv2 -EncryptionLevel Required -AuthenticationMethod EAP -SplitTunneling -AllUserConnection PS C:\mydir> Get-VpnConnection Name : Contoso...