Windows 10: Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available

Discus and support Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few days ago I updated my HP Envy laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I used to be able to close the lid and the computer would enter sleep mode,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sleepmode888, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available

A few days ago I updated my HP Envy laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I used to be able to close the lid and the computer would enter sleep mode, and come out of it when I opened the lid. After updating, it now goes into hibernation mode when I close the lid. In the Sleep and Power Settings, the only options available for me to choose for when I close the laptop lid are "Do Nothing," "Hibernate," and "Shut Down."

Following recommendations for similar issues, I updated the driver for my display adapter. Unfortunately, this hasn't changed anything. I've noticed, however, that in the Device Manager, the symbol next to the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family has a little exclamation point in a yellow triangle. Under the display adapter Device status it reads "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

In addition to finding no mention of sleep mode anywhere on my computer, I'm now unable to change the screen brightness by any means.

I read somewhere that I can allow sleep mode by changing something related to the BIOS? This sounds complicated. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? What do you recommend I do?
    Thanks!

:)

sleepmode888, Aug 23, 2015
  2. TL2015 Win User

No Sleeping mode in Windows 10

The sleeping mode is no longer available after several updated in Windows 10. How do I get sleeping mode back?

TL2015, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 won't sleep after update from Version 1607 to 1703

After updating Windows 10 from Version 1607 to Version 1704, sleep mode is no longer available. At the end of the day, I must shut down the computer and restart it the next day, losing all of the open windows I was working on.

I have tried several fixes to the registry and to Group Policy, none of which restored sleep mode. I cannot use hibernate mode because I am using an SSD.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

prestonpdx, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Victek Win User

Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available

First I would try to resolve the issue in the Device Manager. Have you already seen this:

intel(r) hd graphics family - is this compatible with windows 10?

Victek, Aug 23, 2015
  5. Thanks, I haven't seen that yet. These people have the same display adapter type as me. The discussion in the thread you linked and the thread it refers to (link below) seems to be about people who still have Windows 8 and are looking to see if their hardware is compatible before they update.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1433450577399

I'm not quite sure what they're discussing. It seems there's some program you can download that assesses your hardware to check if it is compatible with Windows 10 before you update, but I have already updated. Will that help me at all?

sleepmode888, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Victek Win User
    Regarding an updated driver, is this what you used:

Intel Download Center

Victek, Aug 23, 2015
  7. I didn't use that, I used the device manager in Windows to search for and install the latest driver updates. I'll try the Intel site when I get back to my laptop.

sleepmode888, Aug 24, 2015
  8. Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available

I downloaded the .exe file from the Intel link you posted. It stated "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer." This was followed by the message "This operating system is not supported."

I will search the HP website for Windows 10 and driver help.

sleepmode888, Aug 25, 2015
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Not sure what you did, but you`re not suppose to be able to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, someone correct me if I`m wrong.

Could be part of the problem, my upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 is flawless.

AddRAM, Aug 25, 2015
  10. Berton Win User
    To get the Free Win10 one is supposed to be running Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1, kinda leaves Win8.0 out. But I think the Upgrade can be done from a downloaded .iso file but may not always be free.

Berton, Aug 25, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    sleepmode888, from my experiences dealing with problems with the several versions of Windows I'd say you're probably better off not using Sleep or Hibernation, seem to cause more issues for users than are needed.

Berton, Aug 25, 2015
  12. This solves neither the sleep mode nor the brightness adjustment problem.

sleepmode888, Aug 25, 2015
  13. AddRAM Win User

Right, but you are going from a machine that was originally shipped with 8, when you throw a new OS on it, it`s hit or miss, your install could be perfect and everything works just dandy, or you could have issues, like you are experiencing.

With time and updates the issues might get corrected, or they might not. Sorry to say it, but that`s just how it is.

After all, we are talking about a laptop here, which can be much more problematic then a desktop, you`ll just have to keep working on it.

As far as Sleep goes, you should be able to choose that option right from the Shut Down menu.

Attachment 33868

AddRAM, Aug 25, 2015
  14. derekimo Win User
    It's still free to upgrade from 8 or 7 just not through windows update,

Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available [​IMG]

derekimo, Aug 25, 2015
  15. Winuser Win User
    If you don't have the sleep option you're going to have to correct the display driver first. I've had that problem a couple of times. The only fix was updated drivers for the video card.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available - Similar Threads - Updated sleep mode

2. System sleep no longer available after KB5017383 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System sleep no longer available after KB5017383 update: yesterday I applied KB5017383 on my windows 11 system.Since then the "sleep" option in power menu is no longer available.Here's the output of powercfg /a>powercfg /a The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate Fast Startup The following sleep states are...
  3. System sleep no longer available after KB5017383 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System sleep no longer available after KB5017383 update: yesterday I applied KB5017383 on my windows 11 system.Since then the "sleep" option in power menu is no longer available.Here's the output of powercfg /a>powercfg /a The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate Fast Startup The following sleep states are...
  4. Sleep Mode no longer works after Windows 10 Feature Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep Mode no longer works after Windows 10 Feature Update: I recently got a Windows 10 Feature update (it was automatic), and now my sleep mode doesn’t work. When I click to go to sleep mode, all it does is make the display black, but the computer doesn’t actually go to sleep. The power light remains lit (which it turned off before),...
  5. windows sleep mode no longer working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows sleep mode no longer working: Is anyone else having problems with windows sleep mode. I manually set it to sleep but it snaps back on after going to sleep for a few minutes. Nothing is running when it tries to sleep and both system and monitor wake up. I am running windows 10 build 18363.959...
  6. Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode: If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep Mode then when updates are available, does Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ? If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to...
  7. Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode: If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep Mode then when updates are available, does Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ? If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to...
  8. Windows installs update from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows installs update from sleep mode: Hello Redditors, today I encountered very strange behaviour from my Windows 10 Computer. I woke up my Desktop from Hibernate (S4) and just went to the Lock Screen and then but the Computer into Sleep Mode (S3) because I forgot something. When I returned after ~10mins the...
  9. Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updated from Windows 8 to 10, sleep mode is no longer available: A few days ago I updated my HP Envy laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I used to be able to close the lid and the computer would enter sleep mode, and come out of it when I opened the lid. After updating, it now goes into hibernation mode when I close the lid. In the Sleep...
  10. Sleep Mode No longer works

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Mode No longer works: After upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 Sleep Mode started to work as it should. Great. Loved the new feature. Then a few days ago I noticed that the computer was not going into sleep mode after the 20 minutes. When I manually select sleep the computer attempts to go into...