Windows 10: Updated to 1703 and now can't access hard drives.

Discus and support Updated to 1703 and now can't access hard drives. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just upgraded to the new Windows Creator's Edition. I previously tried the upgrade on my laptop and everything went smoothly. So I decided to upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pjfarr, Jun 2, 2017.

1. pjfarr Win User

Updated to 1703 and now can't access hard drives.

I just upgraded to the new Windows Creator's Edition. I previously tried the upgrade on my laptop and everything went smoothly. So I decided to upgrade my desktop (both are a little over a year old and configured similarly).
    I have a second physical internal drive (my D drive) and a partition of the main C: drive (my W drive) that I am unable to access now. Both say "Local Disk" instead of the names I gave them and appear to still have their assigned drive letters but clicking on either gives me an "access denied" error.

Updated to 1703 and now can't access hard drives. [​IMG]

I opened Disk Manager, which took an abnormally long time to load. I can see what I believe are the D and W drives but they have no drive letters assigned.

When I try to assign them each a letter, or even try to open their properties, I get:

I should mention that I have shortcuts on my desktop and start menu to several files/folders on the drives in question that will actually open when I click on them and I can work with them normally. I can also open them by typing their drive letters in the Windows search bar. I just can't seem to access the drives directly.
    Can anyone please help me out?

:)

pjfarr, Jun 2, 2017

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 Failed to install

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703.

failed to load on a flash drive.

My disk is a hard drive. all other updates up to now were installed fine.

Satcomlinkweb, Jun 2, 2017
  3. BillJ. Win User
    windows 10 1709 update on an Aspire One Cloudbook with a total of 30 GB

There is not enough room left on my C: drive to complete the 1709 update. The same was true for the 1703 update but I was finally given the option to download the update on my external hard drive and then update completed on my C: drive. Why can't I have
    the same option with 1709?

BillJ., Jun 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, suggest you have a look at this:
    Ways to Fix "Disk Management Console View Is not up-to-date" Error

If you download Kyhi's boot DVD/disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here, that has a copy of Minitool Partition Wizard on it I believe, so you could have access without Windows running.

Solution 3 looks interesting, 1 is what you're seeing, 2 is a possible next step.

Other reports suggest issues with drivers.

Example where diskpart was used to fix a similar problem:
    Unable to assign drive letters after Win10 Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    It won't be enough to help you solve yours, so regard as for info only.

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  5. pjfarr Win User
    Thanks for your response dalchina! I figured out what the problem was, and thank god it was something simple.

I have a program on both PCs called Universal Shield. It provides protection for certain files/folders that contain sensitive docs by preventing them from being opened. Protection can be toggled on and off with a keystroke that brings up a password box.

I only had 2 folders protected: one on my D drive containing financial info and one on my W drive containing an archive of work docs. Somehow the Windows upgrade confused Universal Shield into thinking the drives containing these protected folders were protected themselves. Thus, I was able to see the drives but not open them.

I figured out what was going on when I started becoming worried that the drives got corrupted by the upgrade and those important docs were toasted as a result. I entered the Universal Shield password in the hopes that I could at least access those sensitive folders if nothing else. To my surprise (and relief!!) my D and W drives suddenly returned to normal behavior. I then knew the problem was related to Universal Shield. I uninstalled the app which got everything working again then reinstalled it and protected the same 2 folders as before. Everything seems okay now.

Funny thing is I have this app on both my desktop and laptop but didn’t experience this issue when I upgraded my laptop.

Thanks again for your help, at any rate the links you provided do have some interesting info.

pjfarr, Jun 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good thing you figured it out.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updated to 1703 and now can't access hard drives. - Similar Threads - Updated 1703 can't

2. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  3. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  4. Can't access Windows games on hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Windows games on hard drive: I recently got a new laptop and I was using a hard drive on my old laptop with 700G of games and stuff on it. I plugged in the hard drive thinking all the games I had on it would be instantly playable, but nothing was there. I tried finding answers and I found nothing. I...
  5. Can't access Windows games on hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Windows games on hard drive: I recently got a new laptop and I was using a hard drive on my old laptop with 700G of games and stuff on it. I plugged in the hard drive thinking all the games I had on it would be instantly playable, but nothing was there. I tried finding answers and I found nothing. I...
  6. can't access external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't access external hard drive: Hello, A few days ago I purchased a brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Win ver 1909), and when I tried to transfer my files via my external WD hard drive, I could see the drive as a partition (don't remember how I found that) and I could hear it running, but it didn't show up...
  7. Can't access hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access hard drive: Hi Im running w10 on an EliteBook. Local disk drive C with a capacity of 30gb is now full. There is a second drive New Volume D with 285gb capacity but despite switching where content is saved, this doesn't happen. I have tried formatting to no avail Anyone got any ideas....
  8. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  9. Can't access one of my Hard drive...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't access one of my Hard drive...: OK, so I'm just done resetting my PC and when I'm trying to install program on my (F:) hard drive a message pop up saying : ''you need to confirm this operation'' -I then press continue and another message pop up : ''you need permission to perform this action''... I have...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...