Windows 10: Updated to windows 10, screen now very dim and I can't adjust it

Discus and support Updated to windows 10, screen now very dim and I can't adjust it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I updated to W10 last night, my laptop was fine this morning, but when I turned it on now my screen is very dim. My brightness bar is set to max,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RA24, Jul 29, 2015.

1. RA24 Win User

Updated to windows 10, screen now very dim and I can't adjust it

Hi

I updated to W10 last night, my laptop was fine this morning, but when I turned it on now my screen is very dim. My brightness bar is set to max, and the screen brightness doesn't change at all no matter which direction I move the toggle.

I've been to advanced power settings > display > enable adaptive brightness, this is turned off. Having this turned on caused the same problem for me when I updated windows 8, but clearly this isn't the problem here.

Any help would be much appreciated. Detailed replies about how to fix it would be awesome because I'm not that great with computers.

Thanks!

:)

2. Display screen brightness

I am having trouble adjusting the display screen as it went very dim after a Windows update. I do not seem to have the brightness bar in my display settings screen. I have updated the driver and there is no issues there. What can I do to adjust the brightness
    on my display now?

lorrinemettler, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Dimming screen on 6280

How do I stop/adjust the time that the screen dims, seams to dim very quickly even whilst reading text messages etc.

Thanks

minimonster, Jul 29, 2015
  4. gamaerlan Win User

i got the same issue. I think it is graphic driver issue. It seems they are not ready with the intel graphic update for win10. Is anyone has solution rather than just wait until they release the updated graphic driver?

gamaerlan, Jul 31, 2015
  5. stubo Win User
    I have same here. My laptop is dell precision with AMD driver card VGA. How does fix it. I cant change anying else on power option.

stubo, Jul 31, 2015
  6. I had the same problem. The day I upgraded to Windows 10, my screen went very dim, and I could not adjust it. I searched online and it seems that a Windows 10 compatible driver for my graphics card hasn't been released. They released a beta but it doesn't work well. (I have the Intel HD 4000 graphics card on a Lenovo P400 Touch).

Anyway I tried a bunch of methods I saw in other forums and finally came across something that worked for me. Give it a shot.

Open Device Manager (Search for it or right-click Start). Confirm the UAC prompt, if necessary.

Select Display Adapters and right-click on Intel HD Graphics 4000, then select Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Choose "Display Adapters" as Device Type and select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

IvanDavid1, Aug 2, 2015
  7. RA24 Win User
    Thanks IvanDavid1, worked perfectly *Smile Are there any limitations to using the microsoft basic dispay adapter I should be aware of?

RA24, Aug 2, 2015
  8. PRMan Win User

If you play games, it's gonna suck. For business software, should be fine until they fix it.

PRMan, Aug 2, 2015
  9. yes, I think that since it's only a basic driver it may not allow the computer to display certain graphic effects in some video games or video/photo editing software. For example I opened up a photoshop document today and got a message to the effect of "graphics driver you are using may not display this file correctly". My document still displayed fine on my screen though.

So I guess when the new drivers finally show up we should change to those but the basic windows one should hold us over till then. At least we can see the screen lol.

IvanDavid1, Aug 2, 2015
  10. JETA Win User
    I tried many other options for the post 10 dim screen on my SONY VAIO laptop with Intel graphics but only this one seems to have worked. Screen went totally black after I made the switch. Manually closed the laptop down but when I started it up again the screen was bright and readable though the graphics are slightly squashed vertically. I hope it holds up. thanks for the suggestions.
    QUOTE=IvanDavid1;313636]I had the same problem. The day I upgraded to Windows 10, my screen went very dim, and I could not adjust it. I searched online and it seems that a Windows 10 compatible driver for my graphics card hasn't been released. They released a beta but it doesn't work well. (I have the Intel HD 4000 graphics card on a Lenovo P400 Touch).

Anyway I tried a bunch of methods I saw in other forums and finally came across something that worked for me. Give it a shot.

Open Device Manager (Search for it or right-click Start). Confirm the UAC prompt, if necessary.

Select Display Adapters and right-click on Intel HD Graphics 4000, then select Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Choose "Display Adapters" as Device Type and select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.[/QUOTE]

11. After upgrading with several versions of drivers Intel and Nvidia video card, I was in the device manager and removed the Intel HD Graphics card (I selected the option to delete driver)
    Restart the computer and bingo. Resolved. Windows reinstalls the appropriate driver automatically.

willianguedes, Sep 1, 2015
  12. Ijmoya Win User
    I had the same problem yesterday and did this (ivandavid1's suggestion). It's ok for now but will we have to keep checking for the driver upgrade or will it automatically update?

Ijmoya, Sep 2, 2015
  13. acaciajw Win User

This absolutely worked for me. Although, i don't have the Intel HD graphics card, i selected the one i have and then continued with the process.

acaciajw, Sep 15, 2015
  14. smalltalk Win User
    I had the same problem with a new laptop after upgrading to Windows 10. I found a less invasive solution. I disabled adaptive brightness in the power settings instead. That way I didn't have to change any driver settings. See Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows to Fix Dark Screen Problems for the fix.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oops, I see the OP already mentioned this setting.

smalltalk, Sep 27, 2015
  15. erpster4 Win User
    [/quote]

unfortunately there are some other limitations when upgrading to Windows 10 on Sony Vaio laptops as they have mentioned here (and Sony has not yet released any Win10 compatible drivers & software until either late October or mid-November of 2015).

and Lenovo has NOT tested the Ideapad P400 touch for Windows 10 compatibility as mentioned here (if your Lenovo computer is not listed there, then Lenovo does not support the Win10 OS upgrade on older non-supported computers).

Here's a search of Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog site. Latest version they have is v10.18.10.4276 dated 8/17/2015. one could try that one. And be sure to install the latest Cumulative update for Windows 10 to resolve other non-related display problems.

erpster4, Oct 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Updated to windows 10, screen now very dim and I can't adjust it - Similar Threads - Updated screen very

2. Very dim screen during window installation on macbook

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Very dim screen during window installation on macbook: I am trying to install windows by using bootcamp assistant.But when it reboot I only get to see windows logo and then brightness goes very down i need a flashlight to see with it please help. But overall it is working good except that dim light...
  3. Very dim screen during window installation on macbook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very dim screen during window installation on macbook: I am trying to install windows by using bootcamp assistant.But when it reboot I only get to see windows logo and then brightness goes very down i need a flashlight to see with it please help. But overall it is working good except that dim light...
  4. Very dim screen during window installation on macbook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Display Dim, can not adjust.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display Dim, can not adjust.: I have been having an issue with my display for a few days. The display has been dim and can not adjust it. I have googled it and found a few options but none work. My drivers were already updated. I went to power options - change power plan - advanced power settings -...
  6. Brightness bar is dim. Can't adjust it. What do i do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Brightness bar is dim. Can't adjust it. What do i do?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ace_Poseidon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l4mki0/brightness_bar_is_dim_cant_adjust_it_what_do_i_do/
  7. Windows 10 1903 updated; Now there is no option to adjust (Dim/Lighten) the screen on my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 updated; Now there is no option to adjust (Dim/Lighten) the screen on my...: I have an Apple Mac Pro running OS/X Mojave version 14... I have Parallels version 14 installed and run Windows 10 1903 in a virtual machine. I had no issues with the screen background adjustment with the previous version. However, there is NO option to adjust the screen...
  8. Continually Losing Screen Brightness Adjustment + Screen Stays Dim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Continually Losing Screen Brightness Adjustment + Screen Stays Dim: Hi there - I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1809 on an Asus UX-331 (i7-8559U; 8GB RAM). I'm having problems with my either monitor adapter or display adapter driver (Intel HD Graphics 620). I'm continually losing the ability to adjust screen brightness and am...
  9. Screen display is very dim

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display is very dim: A few days ago, I recently received delivery of an Alienware 15 R4 laptop from the Microsoft Store. Just today the screen intermittently would go dim. Now, ever after a fresh reboot, the screen stays dim. It is very difficult to use the laptop with such a dim screen....
  10. Screen dim and can't adjust

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen dim and can't adjust: I screwed up..... My laptop locked up and I ran my hand across all the keys and my screen went dim. I can't get it bright again. I must have hit a combination of keys that caused the problem. I have tried suggestions people have posted but nothing seems to work, any ideas?...