Windows 10: Updated/upgrade - lost files

Discus and support Updated/upgrade - lost files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, so something strange happened. I popped my laptop open and windows 10 had been upgraded (from previous version of windows 10). I put in my PIN and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BadElbow, Mar 27, 2016.

1. BadElbow Win User

Updated/upgrade - lost files

OK, so something strange happened. I popped my laptop open and windows 10 had been upgraded (from previous version of windows 10). I put in my PIN and the desktop loaded, only it was the default windows 10 desktop without all my shortcuts, backgrounds, etc. Thinking that the upgrade put a bunch of stuff to default I used it as normal, moved some videos from and SD card to my desktop. Watched the gopro videos of my kids on spring break then the computer asked to restart again. Thing rebooted, but this time all my previous shortcuts, etc, are there but the files I moved over aren't there. Trying to find them. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

:)

BadElbow, Mar 27, 2016
  2. Mr Wilson_13, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Why does my acre laptop get wiped after a Windows Update ?

Hello Nicky,

Some files might be hidden from view and when you upgraded to Windows 10, some of your files may have been moved. To find the lost files after the update to Windows 10, we highly encourage to visit this article:

Find lost files after the update to Windows 10

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Mar 27, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

You may not have signed in with your Admin acct. Check that the videos you off-loaded from the SD card aren't in the Public Desktop folder. Go to the Action Center/All Settings/Accounts and check which acct you're signed in on. If it's the msn related acct, then it's on the Admin acct which is why your shortcuts are there. If you signed in before with the local account, your 'Manage my Microsoft account' will not be there. If it is, make sure the PIN is related to that account or add it to that account by hitting 'Sign-in options' in L column.
    Next time you sign in, make sure the msn acct is under your picture above the log-in box. If not, you're signing in with a Local Acct.
    Worse comes to worse, if you know the name of the video, enter part of the name in the Search box of This PC and see if the results come up. If they do, R-click and hit 'open containing folder'. Good Luck.

Updated/upgrade - lost files [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 27, 2016
  5. BadElbow Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Geek. I double checked and the public desktop is empty and I logged into my MS account/Admin account each time. Actually it's the only user on the PC. Doing searches for the files isn't turning anything up. I don't know the exact file name but am using what I recalled along with wildcards and am coming up empty.

BadElbow, Mar 28, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "I don't know the exact file name but am using what I recalled along with wildcards and am coming up empty."
    The best way to search is by media type. Let's say the videos were mp4 or flv. Enter that in the search terms and anything with that in the name or file type will show up. See attachment for search of mp4 files/names. Folder location is specified in column.

In the future, NEVER save files to the desktop. I transfer pictures from SD cards all the time. I drag them into the Downloads folder for editing and then move to Pictures sub folders when finished, NEVER straight to desktop.

I've seen people put their their thesis .doc and lose ALL the work to an unforeseen event. Put them in an appropriate folder under This PC (in your case, say, Videos) and if you want fast access, either type the name in search or R-click the file and 'Send to' Desktop (create shortcut)'. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Mar 28, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    If worst comes to worst, you may need to revert back to your previous Windows 10

Start
    Settings
    Update & Recovery
    Recovery
    Return to Previous Build

It's possible your files didn't transfer over during upgrade. Reverting will bring you back to the way the computer was before the upgrade

lmaneke, Mar 28, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

"It's possible your files didn't transfer over during upgrade."

The videos he moved from the card to the plain desktop were AFTER the upgrade. So reverting will not help. I'm curious, as I've seen others with this problem and few suggestions for resolution.

mrgeek, Mar 28, 2016
  9. BadElbow Win User
    Thanks for all the input but nothing has worked. I even scanned the whole drive with Recuva but didn't find anything. Strange, as I thought I would at least find a trace. Unless anyone else has a suggestion I think I am out of luck.

BadElbow, Apr 3, 2016
  10. lmaneke Win User
    I'm just a little baffled on how files magically deleted themselves. It's weird

lmaneke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Updated/upgrade - lost files - Similar Threads - Updated upgrade lost

2. Files lost after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files lost after update: I update win10 from 1709 to 20H2, and clean the system by dism++, include the old system. But I can not open programs such as notepad.exe/mspaint.exe. Maybe I deleted them all by mistake? How can I fix it?...
  3. Lost Files in Forced Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Files in Forced Update: Windows did a forced update overnight so when I got onto my computer in the morning it was all messed up. It placed me into a temporary account which I wasn't aware of and I couldn't find my files/folders. When I did find them buried in another path I moved them into what I...
  4. Update/Lost folders and files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update/Lost folders and files: Hello all, I have an unfortunate situation that has come up. I tend to leave my windows 10 laptop turned on most of the time and occasionally will come back to it and see it has restarted. Typically this means there was an update during the night (have them set for something...
  5. lost files after update

lost files after update: my files disappeared after microsoft made automatic update. how can we get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-files-after-update/f4ba6af2-bb21-40a5-bb48-cb3c3e0c8433
  6. Upgraded to windows 10 lost files

Upgraded to windows 10 lost files: Upgraded from windows 7 to 10. Had multiple users. I only see one users information. Where / how do I get second profile/ files back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgraded-to-windows-10-lost-files/23f3ac14-1f60-4779-92c1-7a078ea46c6d
  7. Lost Files After Updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost Files After Updating: I cleared space so I could update. After updating I couldn't sign it, b/c my User Profile failed to load. When It did indeed load, all of my files were gone. My whole livelihood is on the PC. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Ginola331...
  8. Lost all my files after upgrade

Lost all my files after upgrade: My laptop undertook an automatic upgrade yesterday and now I cannot find any of my previously saved documents and files - photos and many word document. I have tried looking in the C drive and users - all folders empty. How can I recover these many files that I thought I...
  9. windows update lost files

windows update lost files: My compute made some kind of windows update last night - unbeknownst to me - and my desktop files are GONE. Can't find them anywhere. Why would Microsoft update my Windows without notice????????...
  10. Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade: Since last update (1809) I have lost any "view" of drives and files except 'General' in File Explorer. If I try to change the view to Music or Documents, Pictures or Videos, it just goes back to General. Is there a setting anywhere that will correct this? Thanks for any...