Windows 10: Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files

Discus and support Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there any way I can prevent windows updates from overwriting my desktop.ini files? it happens every time, and i'm tired of having to change them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sleepless, May 22, 2017.

1. sleepless Win User

Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files

Is there any way I can prevent windows updates from overwriting my desktop.ini files? it happens every time, and i'm tired of having to change them back. (i'm talking specifically about the folders for desktop, documents, downloads, music, videos. Windows update continually reverts the desktop.ini back to default.)

:)

sleepless, May 22, 2017

2. Default "Downloads" folder missing after trying to sync with an external drive on Windows 10

Of course, that would update the same desktop.ini file as in my previous post. You check that by opening the Desktop.ini folder. This line would have changed:

LocalizedResourceName

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 22, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    No

A "keep my files" reset will not touch your personal files as long as they are stored in the default folders where Windows expects to find them, i.e., Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. Nevertheless, it's always a good idea to backup your personal files
    before doing a reset, in case you make a mistake or have a power outage during the process.

A reset by definition overwrites your hard drive so your programs are erased and will need to be reinstalled.

BulldogXX, May 22, 2017
Thema:

Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files

1. Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files - Similar Threads - Updates always overwrite

2. COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files: Greetings, Recently my computer was hit by cool ransomware and encrypt all of my files. I was shocked that my onedrive keep syncing those file and overwrite the backups.Is there any way to restore it? Thank you...
  3. How to avoid Windows updates from overwriting personal settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to avoid Windows updates from overwriting personal settings: Windows updates almost always overwrites my personal settings, such as power and screen lock settings, or sometimes touchpad settings. Is there a way to install Window updates and keep/retain my personal settings or preferences? It's pretty annoying to have to reset my...
  4. Windows Defender and .ini files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender and .ini files: We ae using Windows 10 and Windows Defender antivirus. When our program saves information to an .ini file - it can take a very long time. It takes more than 4 times longer with Windows Defender than with other anti-virus programs ex AVG, Avast. If we exclude the .ini file...
  5. Onedrive overwrites newer files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive overwrites newer files: Somehow after a while onedrive started working on my surface and laptop and it overwrote newer files including several excel spreadsheets. I was under the impression that files would not be overwrote if newer files existed....
  6. There is a method for personalize my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    There is a method for personalize my desktop: I won't use Rain meter program for personalize my PC, but there is an alternative methods submitted by /u/SERIUSAMr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g393pj/there_is_a_method_for_personalize_my_desktop/
  7. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  8. Unexplained overwriting half my document files

in Windows 10 Support
    Unexplained overwriting half my document files: I suddenly lost most of my document-type files. Recuva Pro showed only half of 24K files were recoverable. These were primarily from \username\onedrive\..., so I can recover from the cloud. But several compromised file were in C\?\, \Program files, \username\app data,...
  9. Windows Update Overwrites new files with old ones.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Overwrites new files with old ones.: So I installed windows 10 earlier this week, I believe the 7th of February. The system moves all my files into windows.old. I retrieve my vital files (mostly current projects and some game files) and marvel at how much faster my computer seems to run. Then about 30 minutes...
  10. "Access Denied" in Notepad when trying to overwrite an .ini file.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Access Denied" in Notepad when trying to overwrite an .ini file.: hello new to PCs in general. Wanted to change some setting in order to get a game running (at the end of video)- Prince Of Persia 2008 : How To Set Resolution And Fix The Loading Problem - YouTube but when going into /C drive where the game is placed and do the change to...