Windows 10: Updates confusion

Discus and support Updates confusion in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jplx, Mar 24, 2018.

1. jplx Win User

Updates confusion

In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows ..

Updates are available
    • 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776)

Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let's get you back on track so Windows can run more securely. Select this button to get going:

.. and the button is Restart Now

This has been the case for about 10 days now. And I have re-started dozens of times, but the red cross still keeps coming up. It is green initially, then goes to yellow, and always ends up red within half a minute or so, even if I re-start over and over again within a few minutes.

:)

2. Confusing Update

Why is there an update for the Windows 10 Insider Preview in my update notification instead of the offical version of Windows 10 home edition. The published date is July 23. It reads as following Update to Windows 10, Start installing the newest version
    of windows now. It shows the size as 2,712.6 MB. Clicking the more info button only brings up the standard Q&A, but when I click on the show all available updates button and then click the more info button it shows in a new window that this update is the insider
    preview version. This is confusing as I am not sure to update since it is not what I want which naturally is the full and offical version I am waiting for.Any help or insight to clearify this uncertain update would have my thanks.

TimothyKelley, Mar 24, 2018
  3. Updating confusion

Reply fastly

Shahid OsZzy, Mar 24, 2018
  4. Eddie Doc Win User

Updates confusion

Under Settings-Windows Update-View installed update history, is the update showing as repeatedly failing to install successfully?

Eddie Doc, Mar 24, 2018
  5. jplx Win User
    It is showing as installed there.
    However, when I click the 'uninstall updates' button on the same page, it takes me to a page titled 'installed updates' and it is not showing there at all, and the most recent one showing there, being KB4058702, installed on 04 01 2018

Edit .. although I have my computer set on automatic updates.

6. Eddie Doc Win User
    You could try troubleshooting windows update to see if that sorts it out.

settings/update & security/troubleshoot

There has been another cumulative update (KB4089848) since the one you mention in your original post. It sounds like windows update may not be working as it should. Troubleshooting it may fix that.

Eddie Doc, Mar 25, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
  8. jamis Win User

Updates confusion

This sounds all too familiar. I bet the OP is suffering from the KB4090913/KB4090914 corruption. What build does the system say it's at? Settings/System/About. KB4088776 won't install and the prior updates won't uninstall in that situation.

jamis, Mar 25, 2018
  9. jplx Win User
    Thanks for the recent suggestions.
    Before I go further I should advise the build number is 16299.125

10. jplx Win User
    Also, used the trouble shooter.
    No luck, though the report is interesting.
    How do I post a snip of it here (PNG file type) ?

11. Eddie Doc Win User
    Try the Snipping Tool. Drag the mouse around the area you want to copy and save it, then copy it in your post.

Eddie Doc, Mar 25, 2018
  12. mrgeek Win User
    This is FAR behind on updates. Build 16299.125 was current as of 12/12/17. Update history here -
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054517

Try downloading latest cumulative update (top of list on L) from the Windows Update catalog (link at bottom under 'How to get this update') and manually install. Links in this News post too - Cumulative Update KB4089848 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.334 - Mar. 22

mrgeek, Mar 25, 2018
  13. jplx Win User

Updates confusion

Hi jamis. Apologies for the delay in this thread.

1) I have advised the build, etc, in a post above.

2) Having briefly spoken to someone who knows a lot about this stuff, he seemed to feel the same as you, ie,

the OP is suffering from the KB4090913/KB4090914 corruption.

so the question now is, what do i do about it ?

I am loath to have to re-install W10, and please refrain from any suggestions to play around with the registary, etc, as that sort of thing is way beyond me.

PS, the situation is the same - no further updates have downloaded, and the trouble shooter is useless.

14. Bree New Member
    I had a similar problem with KB4058258 which left behind unremovable traces, even after uninstalling it...

Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31

An in-place repair upgrade reinstalls windows but, crucially, lets you keep all your installed apps, files and most of the settings.

*Arrow Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

15. jplx Win User
    As I said in #13, updates are installing .. but slowly ..
    After 43 restarts, all now complete, all up to date.
    But what a hassle .. wow !

Thema:

Updates confusion

1. Updates confusion - Similar Threads - Updates confusion

2. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  3. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  4. I confused automatically installed antivirus software with new Windows update, and detleted...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I confused automatically installed antivirus software with new Windows update, and detleted...: After installing uTorrent i had RAV Endpoint Protection,automaticly installed, i actually thaught that it was a strange windows antiwirus update first, and i did the foolishest thing ever-ran a scan with it, it has concluded I have malware, something with my webcam etc and i...
  5. Intel microcode update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Intel microcode update confusion: Windows 10 Home v 20H2 x64 Asking about Intel microcode update for Spectre/Meltdown protection. CPU is i5-2400S, and apparently KB4465065 addresses variants of both issues. However confused over whether or not this update can/should be applied: GRC InSpectre reports all...
  6. Small Business In Need of Dire Help Amid Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Small Business In Need of Dire Help Amid Update Confusion: Hi, Our Shop has 2 dell laptops both the same models, one is from May 2020 we bought and another in Nov 2020. The May laptop apparently did the 20H2 update but today it has four options on the power button, update and restart, restart, shutdown, and update and shutdown. In...
  7. New Microsoft 2020 updates makes my laptop a lot slower and more confusing

New Microsoft 2020 updates makes my laptop a lot slower and more confusing: So I paused an update since May 2020 and I resume it on Des 2020, I thought this will fix some of my hardware and devices issues, I updated it to 100%, Opened it with caution and big expectation just to look at everything goes down: - Cortana opened again - Almost every...
  8. AMD Driver update confusion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Driver update confusion: I have a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfxseen from system properties so can I install Auto-Detect and Install Updates for Radeon™ Graphics and Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers for Windows®. Do it update AMD Radeon settings lite software also? Is that safe?...
  9. Help on Oct 2020 update confusion

Help on Oct 2020 update confusion: Hi yesterday October 18, I had to do the update and restart my laptop, which took over an hour for it to complete. But today after signing into my laptop, this appeared in my power button and now I am concerned that maybe yesterday's update and restart didn't work as it...
  10. Confusing approach to windows updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confusing approach to windows updates?: This is both a complaint about, and request for how to fix/recognise, an issue involving confusing update messaging by Microsoft. I'm using windows 10-2004 on a desktop. Migrated from windows 7 4 months ago. Recently there were media advisories about an out-of-band...