Windows 10: Updates for W10 Home

Discus and support Updates for W10 Home in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Microsoft made the following announcement... ..... those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tabvla, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Tabvla Win User

Updates for W10 Home

Microsoft made the following announcement...

For W10 Home Users does ".... made available automatically ...." mean that the updates will be downloaded but the User still has the option to install (or not) or does it mean that the updates are downloaded and installed..?

T.

:)

Tabvla, Jun 5, 2015
  2. caminokid Win User

Network sharing not working after upgrading to windows 10

I just started having this problem with the latest updates to my W10 Pro machines but not those using W10 Home. Tried all the fixes suggested and can not access my W10 Pro files from my W10 Home units but can access the files from my W10 Home on my W10
    Pro. Some problem with code in one of the latest updates appears to have restarted this issue.

caminokid, Jun 5, 2015
  3. Anniversary Update 1607 - PRO to HOME

Hi!

My laptop bought in 2014 started with W8 PRO.

I updated to W8.1 and got W8.1 Pro all right.

I updated to W10 and got W10 1511 all right.

I updated to W10 AU and got W10 1607 HOME - Grrrrr...

Any idea why?

Thanks to all

Christian Jan du Jonchay, Jun 5, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Updates for W10 Home

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  5. Tabvla Win User
    Thanks Cliff.

I always take a Restore Point before installing updates. I hope that the W10 installer is programmed to do likewise.

T.

Tabvla, Jun 5, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Restore points are really to iffy. I recommend making a system image with something like AEOMI or Macrium Reflect before updating or major changes(not the updates for Defender I mean OS updates). I usually make mine in the middle between updates, 2 weeks before the next-2 weeks after the last. I'll probably need a new plan with 10 though, because for home users they'll be forced. Probabely a few days after the last if all is well.

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    *Ditto The time difference between restore point and Macrium image is not overwhelming. And they go on an external. I don't trust restore points anyway cause I've never had one go right since 9841! They always roach my start menu.

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Updates for W10 Home

I stopped using them in Windows 7 and started making images with 7 own incremental imager(and no I never had a problem restoring with it because I used MBR and not EFI)

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  9. Tabvla Win User
    Agree on the System Image. Currently, on all my personal computers, I take a System Image the day before I install the MS monthly updates. But then I have had control over when the updates are installed. On the day of the install I take a Restore Point just prior to running the install - if something went wrong I would rather try a System Restore to see if that fixed the problem before resorting to an Image Restore.

In addition when I run OS updates I ensure that nothing else is running so as to try and give the updates the best possible chance of installing in a reasonably clean environment.

But if I read the info correctly, MS will no longer push out updates on a monthly basis but rather on a "when ready" basis which could be anytime and the user has no control over that time. That makes me uncomfortable and really goes against everything that I advocate about installing OS updates.

T.

Tabvla, Jun 5, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Just stay in the slow ring then, and they should all be bug free.

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  11. Tabvla Win User
    Sorry Cliff..... I am not familiar with the term "...stay in the slow ring..." - you will need to explain.

T.

Tabvla, Jun 5, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  13. Tabvla Win User

Updates for W10 Home

For W10 preview builds the "... slow ring ..." is a practical option.

But once released all indications are that updates will be downloaded and installed without the User being involved. For many non-technical Users that is already how things work. But for technical Users or for a small business that has someone who "looks after" the computers that is not how things currently work.

For the most part - certainly with all the computers that I support - updates are set to download automatically and the User then has the option to install selected updates at a time convenient to the User. That makes sense.

T.

Tabvla, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Updates for W10 Home

1. Updates for W10 Home - Similar Threads - Updates W10 Home

2. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  3. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  4. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Update safeguard holds on W10 Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update safeguard holds on W10 Home: Trying to figure out why my laptop hasn't received either 2020 feature update (2004 and 20H2). How do I view safeguard holds for W10 Home? I'm aware of the Update Compliance app that IT administrators can use in an enterprise environment, but is there a comparable utility for...
  6. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  7. gedit.msc for W10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    gedit.msc for W10 Home: Is there a gedit.msc that is works with Windows 10 Home? The ones I found were for Windows 7. (2010, 2011) 158498
  8. Lost home network connections with last W10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost home network connections with last W10 update: We have two computers in a home network connected by cable to the same router. A printer is connected by USB to one of the computers. Before the last W10 update in February, the other computer could print to this printer as long as the first computer was turned on. This...
  9. W10 Home Creator's Update Diary...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Home Creator's Update Diary...: Just thought I'd share my experience with the v.1703 update that I just finished. For prep. work, I did two System Image Saves (bld. 14393.953 & bld 14393.1066) and a new System Recovery Disk. I also ran CCleaner until it could not find anything to get rid of. You can open My...
  10. W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer: My W10-pro desktop does not show the W10-home on the multiboot laptop in Explorer whatever setting I use but it showed W7-home on that laptop as soon as I switched to it. I can Ping the laptop both in W7-home and W10-home. W10-home on the laptop however showes all shared...