Windows 10: Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing'

Discus and support Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing' in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Clean install of W10 and many updates are showing as 'Requiring a restart to finish installing'. Despite several restarts and full shut downs this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mooly, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing'

Clean install of W10 and many updates are showing as 'Requiring a restart to finish installing'. Despite several restarts and full shut downs this situation remains. Windows update itself says it is up to date.

:)

Mooly, Jun 14, 2015

2. how to get system to restart and get the update start working

I restarted the system but it didn't restarted the update for windows fall creator update. now in update it is showing requires a restart to finish installing

LohithBoss, Jun 14, 2015
  3. harrisd23 Win User
    Restart Your PC to Finish Installing Updates

According to the Get Windows 10 app, the download is in progress. When I click view download progress, it takes my to the windows update window where it says "restart your PC to finish installing updates". My computer restarts quickly but then nothing
    happens. It just puts me right where I was before, still running windows 8.1.

harrisd23, Jun 14, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

I have the same problem. *Sad

DavidY, Jun 14, 2015
  5. Mooly Win User
    Hmmm. Wonder how many others have this problem too.

Mooly, Jun 14, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I think this has been happening for at least this and one previous build.
    And.. I have it as well.. I bet all users do.

BunnyJ, Jun 14, 2015
  7. DavidE Win User
    DavidE, Jun 15, 2015
  8. Mooly Win User

I looked at again this morning and now the updates show as installed (in installed updates). The 'Update History' view shown in post #1 now shows just defender updates as installed OK. Nothing requiring a restart ! Weird.

Mooly, Jun 15, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    That is odd.. mine still show needing to restart. But with luck it's going to be fixed by the final release.

BunnyJ, Jun 15, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    Are you looking at Installed Updates via Control Panel | Programs and Features?

In my experience that shows a different result to looking into Update via the Settings app - Control Panel says they're installed OK but Settings App says they aren't!

DavidY, Jun 15, 2015
  11. Mooly Win User
    I'm using the same view as in post #1 (still finding my way around).

Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing' [​IMG]

Mooly, Jun 15, 2015
  12. DavidY Win User
    Here's what I see:

Which both look good until I see this...

And it seems doing a restart doesn't help.

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  13. DavidE Win User

I found my updates that were pending are now listed as failed in Update History.
    They are listed in Installed Updates.

Read what Slartybart says about Windows Update here:
    Kb3070677 - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

DavidE, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing' - Similar Threads - Updates keep showing

2. Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish...: Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish installing i have already tried existing article restoring health/SFC scan and renaming the software distribution folder nothing works these updates shows as never installed those they are...
  3. Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish...: Windows server 2019 keeps shows up windows updates history requires a restart to finish installing i have already tried existing article restoring health/SFC scan and renaming the software distribution folder nothing works these updates shows as never installed those they are...
  4. Can't update. 20h2 stuck on Requires a restart to finish installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update. 20h2 stuck on Requires a restart to finish installing: Hello there,I just got a new pc with 64 bit win 10 Home Ver 1709 os 16299.1127, i7 6700 @3.4GHz and after trying to update, I am getting \Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let's get you back on track so Windows...
  5. Persistent "Requires a restart to finish installing" after most updates

Persistent "Requires a restart to finish installing" after most updates: Winver = Version 1909 OS Build 18363.900 Some time ago I noticed in my Update History that at least one update was signified asRequires a restart to finish installing although it does appear in the list of installed updates seen by clicking the "uninstall updates" list. I...
  6. Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing

Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing: Hello So I got the news that Microsoft pulled the 1809 update after users missing files. My laptop already downloaded the update and giving me "Windows 10 1809 Update Requires a restart to finish installing" in update history ! what should I do to cancel the installation ?...
  7. Requires a restart to finish installing

Requires a restart to finish installing: I have restarted my pc for many times and I have used the troubleshooter for many times.still it shows me in my update history the following.can anyone help me?? Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 Requires a restart to finish installing...
  8. KB4284848 stuck at "Requires a restart to finish installing"

KB4284848 stuck at "Requires a restart to finish installing": Is there an way how to fix this issue? How do i stuck here? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb4284848-stuck-at-requires-a-restart-to-finish/24d29903-906a-44a3-953d-067648a9e99c
  9. Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates keep showing as 'require restart to finish installing: i updated the other day, and after it was done it asked for a restart. i restarted it and when it came back up it said it needed to restart. i continued what i was doing and when i was done restarted the computer. this has been going on for several days. [img] After the...
  10. windows update says restart is required to finish instillation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows update says restart is required to finish instillation: hello i have hp mini 1104 and ive tried to update to version 1709 windows update says restart is required to finish instillation and ive restarted numeous times ive ran the trouble shooter and it said it neeeded to delete and reinstalll and i ran that and still nothing. im...