Windows 10: Updates on a metered connection.

Discus and support Updates on a metered connection. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by emgray, Jul 16, 2015.

1. emgray Win User

Updates on a metered connection.

Hello there,
    I read an article today which said:

Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice."

By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s only one other option: download, install, and choose when to reboot.

Source: The Verge

I spend at least 5-6 months a year on a metered connection through a usb 3g dongle so I don't want to be downloading updates and wasting the allowance. Currently I have 8.1 and it's on the choose when to download and install option. I've already signed up for the Windows 10 upgrade but if there is no way around this I can't install it.

I saw that you can set a network as a metered connection but some updates will still be downloaded and installed. About 500MB worth of these updates a month isn't a big issue but anything above that is not something I want.

Thanks for reading.

:)

emgray, Jul 16, 2015
  2. Ray Roden Win User

Updates on a metered connection

I have a metered connection, 10G per month. During the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. the meter does NOT run and would be a great time to download updates, especially like the new builds on Windows 10. Updates can suck up a lot of data. Is there anyway
    to schedule update downloading times?

Ray Roden, Jul 16, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 16, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 16, 2015
  5. emgray Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

The reason I started this thread was because on the Microsoft site it says that Windows update will only download priority updates when on a metered connection. Are these sort of updates rare and / or have a small file size?

emgray, Jul 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's link you updated in your first post just means that updates will install automatically, but they will not automatically download over a metered connection like it the screenshot I posted.

The screenshot I posted above is from build 10240.

Brink, Jul 16, 2015
  7. emgray Win User
    emgray, Jul 16, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Based on what it says in the screenshot, it shouldn't be an issue. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updates on a metered connection. - Similar Threads - Updates metered connection

2. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  3. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection: My wifi says turn off metered connection but when i go to settings the wifi tab does not appear please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/f3e9f6a8-62a2-41b4-955f-ff35086fb242
  4. Metered Connections

Metered Connections: How do I change my settings so I can connect to WI-FI? At the moment, it says I can only use an ethernet cord which is not an option. I have a ASUS Desktop running on Windows 10 PRO....
  5. Metered connection

Metered connection: Hello, I've been trying to set up a metered connection for half an hour and after awhile I got it working until it's expire date now the option is grayed out. Here's a screenshot:[ATTACH]...
  6. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  7. metered connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    metered connection: How do you turn off metered connection off, my Bluetooth devices will not connect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/5f8da87a-b822-4b37-b7ae-0f00d0e23d8a
  8. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. METERED CONNECTION

in Cortana
    METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  10. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...