Windows 10: Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows

Discus and support Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Earlier this year, we shared information about Windows 10 embracing silicon innovation and our work with partners to achieve breakthroughs in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows

Source: Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows | Windows For Your Business

:)

Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  2. RickKins Win User

Oh, this means war......

Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10

Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10

Windows 7 and 8.1 won't be updated for future processors, starting with Intel's Skylake platform

Soon, when you buy a new PC, it won't support Windows 7 or 8. Microsoft has announced a change to its support policy that lays out its plans for future updates to its older operating systems, and the new rules mean that future PC owners with next-generation
    Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm processors will need to use Windows 10.

It's not usual for old PCs to fall short of the minimum requirements of a brand new operating system, but in this case, the opposite is happening. Microsoft and its partners will not be putting in the significant work necessary to make new hardware work
    with older versions of Windows. The old operating systems, at best, will merely lack the latest updates. At worst, they might not function properly.

"Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,"

Microsoft notes in a blog post
    published on Friday. "Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon."

This new policy doesn't mean that Windows 7 and 8.1 are no longer supported in general. The two operating systems will continue to get updates through January 14, 2020 and January 10, 2023, respectively. But that's only if you're using hardware that was
    contemporaneous with those operating systems.

For current PC owners, the detail to note is that Intel's current, sixth generation processors, known as Skylake, are the first that won't support either of the older versions of Windows. (Intel and Microsoft say that the platform and Windows 10

were designed for each other
    .) Microsoft is phasing in the policy now.

For the company's all-important enterprise customers, who often lag behind on hardware and software updates in order to guarantee stability, Microsoft says it will be maintaining

a list of approved Skylake systems
    that are guaranteed to have Windows 7 and 8.1 support through July 17, 2017. That gives companies an 18 month grace period to buy modern hardware for employees before committing and implementing upgrades to Windows 10.

After the grace period, only "the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other
    devices." Companies and consumers, of course, can still buy older PC hardware that doesn't utilize Intel's Skylake platform or other modern CPUs — the last generation of supported Intel processors are known as Broadwell, and those chips are still widely available.

The policy change not only makes Microsoft's hardware partners happy — they no longer are on the hook to develop as many costly software updates for past versions of Windows — but it also helps Microsoft push adoption of Windows 10. The company sees the
    operating system as
    the "final" version of Windows
    ; it's now a service, not a product, and this change better reflects that. There's only one current version of Windows, and while Microsoft will fullfill its legacy hardware obligations, it won't be expending resources to help
    users steer clear of its latest and greatest.

RickKins, Aug 10, 2016
  3. allergy to a substance that phone is made of

That's actually quite bad. I think this information is difficult to get. I'd call the Nokia Support. Maybe some Silicon cases could be useful. Search ebay!

yoshi---01, Aug 10, 2016
Thema:

Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows

1. Updates to Silicon Support Policy for Windows - Similar Threads - Updates Silicon Support

2. Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11: I have a Silicon Power A80 1TB external hard drive but am unable to get my new laptop running Windows 11 Home to recognize it. I have tried the tools available from Silicon Power but they report back that the device is not found. I am using a USB 3.0 adaptor since the A80 has...
  3. Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silicon Power A80 on Windows 11: I have a Silicon Power A80 1TB external hard drive but am unable to get my new laptop running Windows 11 Home to recognize it. I have tried the tools available from Silicon Power but they report back that the device is not found. I am using a USB 3.0 adaptor since the A80 has...
  4. Microsoft Edge Native App support for Apple Silicon Macs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge Native App support for Apple Silicon Macs: We now have public Canary and Dev versions of Microsoft Edge that run natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1 Macs, ARM64 Macs). To download, click on either the Canary or Dev channel links below: Canary - Microsoft Edge Canary Channel (microsoftedgeinsider.com) Dev - Microsoft...
  5. Windows update policies.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update policies.: Hi. I have some troubles with my computer. The below picture shows the "some settings are managed by your organization" and i want to remove it but i tried many different ways by watching youtube videos and googling but just not able to resolve this problem. In the second...
  6. Windows for IoT adds expanded silicon support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows for IoT adds expanded silicon support: The world of IoT is more exciting than ever, transforming every business on the planet, and that transformation is accelerating. Advances in AI and ML are helping companies across industries gain efficiencies; reduce downtime, waste, and errors; and improve customer...
  7. Configure Update Policies

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configure Update Policies: Windows Update displays this message *Some settings are managed by your organisation View configured update policies I have Windows 10 Home & am not enrolled in Windows Insider Programme Policies set by : Mobile Device Management - and these links to info...
  8. Changes to update policies

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changes to update policies: Hmmm.. a slight step in the right direction: "Speaking to press this week Microsoft Corporate Vice President Jim Alkove said the company will stop hiding the contents of Windows 10 updates and what changes they will make once installed."...
  9. Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation: Last week at CES we were excited to see Windows 10 devices from many of our partners, including Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, and Toshiba win over 50 major awards, including Best of CES, Best 2-in-1, Best Gaming Laptop and many more. It has been awesome to...
  10. Intel Advancing Security at the Silicon Level

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Advancing Security at the Silicon Level: Hardware-based Protection Coming to Data Center and PC Products Later this Year In addressing the vulnerabilities reported by Google Project Zero earlier this year, Intel and the technology industry have faced a significant challenge. Thousands of people across the...