Windows 10: Updates wont download/install, occasionally causing huge CPU usage

Discus and support Updates wont download/install, occasionally causing huge CPU usage in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been having an ongoing problem with Windows Update for the past few months. Updates sometimes just refuse to download, and get stuck at 0%. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by caligrown, Feb 13, 2017.

1. caligrown Win User

Updates wont download/install, occasionally causing huge CPU usage

I have been having an ongoing problem with Windows Update for the past few months. Updates sometimes just refuse to download, and get stuck at 0%. I have managed to fix this a few times by opening up a command prompt, and terminating windows update (net stop wuauserv), deleting the contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download", re-starting and trying again..... however for the last week or so this has not helped.

I have also noticed a couple times where my computer will be sitting idle at the desktop without any applications running, and my CPU usage will be at 40-50%. Upon examining Task Manager, all of the CPU usage is in "Service Host: Local Service", and by terminating windows update, the CPU drops back down to normal idle speed.

I am running the free upgraded Windows 10, which I installed last summer over my Win 7 Home. It is not a clean install.

Anyone have any advice on getting windows update to work properly? Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

caligrown, Feb 13, 2017

2. Windows 10 dwm causing a huge CPU usage

Hello, I've just switched to Windows 10, I restarted my Computer multiple times but it seems to keep doing the same overload of CPU usage.

If I attempt to play a Flash or HTML5 or any video in general it will cause Windows Desktop Manager along with that application to bring my CPU to 99%. It video then pulls the quality down thinking it'll help and it never did. The main sight I go on that plays
    videos is of course Youtube. I also use Chrome. This has never been an issue whilst I was on Windows 8 and now it's a huge issue because I fear it might cause a crash and I might loose data on something valuable.

Updates wont download/install, occasionally causing huge CPU usage [​IMG]

LunaVersity, Feb 13, 2017
  3. jenanart Win User
    IntelAudioService high CPU usage

hi

im having huge CPU usage by IntelAudioService any ideas?

i checked for viruses its clean and no update for anything

jenanart, Feb 13, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Plankton, Feb 13, 2017
  5. caligrown Win User
    I believe I have... Is there an easy way to check which version I'm using now?

caligrown, Feb 13, 2017
  6. caligrown Win User
    BIOS and chipset are all the latest version, updates still won't download/install

caligrown, Feb 13, 2017
  7. caligrown Win User
    caligrown, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updates wont download/install, occasionally causing huge CPU usage - Similar Threads - Updates wont download

2. CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag.: I have just got 22H2 update for win 11 this morning and my games immediately started to lag.. Using task manager I found that in my all games my cpu usage had dropped from around 50-60% to only 5 % .They all ran perfectly before the update . Rolled back the update and the...
  3. CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag.: I have just got 22H2 update for win 11 this morning and my games immediately started to lag.. Using task manager I found that in my all games my cpu usage had dropped from around 50-60% to only 5 % .They all ran perfectly before the update . Rolled back the update and the...
  4. CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag: Got the 22H2 update for win 11 this morning and my games immediately started to lag.. Using MSI afterburner I found that in games BFV and NFS Heat my cpu usage had dropped from around 50-60% to only 5 % it was the same in all of my games. They all ran perfectly yesterday....
  5. CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag

CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag: Got the 22H2 update for win 11 this morning and my games immediately started to lag.. Using MSI afterburner I found that in games BFV and NFS Heat my cpu usage had dropped from around 50-60% to only 5 % it was the same in all of my games. They all ran perfectly yesterday....
  6. Wmiprvse causing occasional 100% CPU usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wmiprvse causing occasional 100% CPU usage?: There seems to be a lot of info out there about this, but none of the scenarios seem to be a good match for what I'm experiencing, and the solutions all smack of "ensure the power cable is plugged in." So here's my situation. Pretty much since the very first day I installed...
  7. WUDFHost causing large usage in CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WUDFHost causing large usage in CPU: Hey! I've searched and searched through multiple posts online about possible causes and our fixes but none seem to work. Currently trying to use a usb-hdmi adapter for display and gaming purposes but for some reason when it is plugged in WUDFHost begins to utilize a lot of...
  8. the photo app with huge ram and cpu usage

the photo app with huge ram and cpu usage: If I don't close the photo app for a while it may occur dramatically large ram usage (can goes to 3~4GB) and also the CPU usage is large which make computer frozen for seconds. After kill the photo app process everything back to normal. I tried to open the file location in...
  9. High CPU & Ram usage - occasional BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU & Ram usage - occasional BSOD: I upgraded to Windows 10 near the beginning, no big issues. Problem started about a week back. I came home to a BSOD. The computer also hangs and restarts more often now. Ram usage is extremely high. I have 16GBs but usually only 50% is used, even with 40+ chrome tab...
  10. Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Occasional high CPU usage on Windows 10: Hi, I have recently noticed a bit of a performance issue on my HP laptop running Windows 10 Home. What happens is, if I am not doing anything on the laptop, but am not putting it to sleep (i.e. idling), it stays at a low CPU usage. However, after a while (usually about...