Windows 10: Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc)

Discus and support Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there To Windows updaters (those who've upgraded rather than done a "Clean install"). This is also especially good if you are using smaller... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc)

Hi there

To Windows updaters (those who've upgraded rather than done a "Clean install").

This is also especially good if you are using smaller capacity SSD's for your installation or even VM's where you don't want to use too much disk space either.

You can delete the Windows.Old and the temporary setup files (saved me around 15GB - which on a 110 GB SSD is significant !!).

Simply follow the instructions here -- you don't need any "Take ownership", registry hacks or special privileges -- it's all done from File Explorer. It's for windows 8.1 but works identically with windows 10.

Delete the temporary installation files too - those are around 5GB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014

2. Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, 10586 Will Not Update

UPDATE (2)

After system file clean up, which included the deletion of Windows.old, ended up with 12.7GB of free space! So it has given me back quite a lot of disk space.

motortransport, Oct 2, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc)

Don't forget to delete the hiberfil.sys file by disabling hibernate. I think it was 12 GB on my installation SSD.

• Open a command prompt with administrative privileges.
    • Enter "powercfg.exe -h off"
    • Exit the command prompt.

John Pombrio, Oct 3, 2014
  5. rmonroe36 Win User
    I ended up deleting Windows.old by using Puppy Linux. First, I tried CCleaner (it does have that option), and then the options listed by jimbo45. Not the first time Puppy Linux saved the day!

Rich

rmonroe36, Oct 23, 2014
  6. When I tried the link above and it did not work, I found several ways to delete the window.old folder online and tried a command window variant. The folder was still there, showed a value of one byte, but was still stuffed with 6GB of files/folders, heh. I finally got rid of it properly by the link Jimbo pasted above. I do not recommend removing it in any other way as this folder is well protected by strong admin security. The delete folder link above should have worked, my fault was not bothering to scroll down and checking the box to delete the "previous windows install" box. It properly removed the folder and the added disk space on my SSD once I actually did it properly.

John Pombrio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc)

1. Updating - Free up disk space (windows.old etc) - Similar Threads - Updating Free disk

2. how to free up disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to free up disk space: how to free up disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-disk-space/85f569b4-cb7f-479a-ac1e-b07e10b7ce40
  3. how to free up disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to free up disk space: how to free up disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-disk-space/85f569b4-cb7f-479a-ac1e-b07e10b7ce40
  4. Need to Free Up Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Free Up Disk Space: I am trying to free up disk space. Can I delete a Users folder titled TEMP? ie This PC\Local Disk C \Users\TEMP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-free-up-disk-space/5f142a07-7eab-4562-bfd1-5fa82e4e26e8
  5. Need to Free Up Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Free Up Disk Space: I am trying to free up disk space. Can I delete a Users folder titled TEMP? ie This PC\Local Disk C \Users\TEMP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-free-up-disk-space/5f142a07-7eab-4562-bfd1-5fa82e4e26e8
  6. Free up disk space prompt

Free up disk space prompt: Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle...
  7. Free up disk space prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Free up disk space prompt: Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle...
  8. Disk space isn’t freeing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk space isn’t freeing up: Ive had low disc space for two years now but i never got around to fixing it for some reason.I have been trying nonstop to free up disk space ive used disk cleanup ive tried to merge the disks but nothing works please please help i would appreciate it...
  9. Freeing up Disk Space??

Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...
  10. disk storage: freeing up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...