Windows 10: updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

Discus and support updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; -So I had an issue with my PC, "personalised settings (not responding)". I found out its to do with my RAM and that updating "motherboard BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017.

1. C0zzie Win User

updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10

-So I had an issue with my PC, "personalised settings (not responding)".
    I found out its to do with my RAM and that updating "motherboard BIOS (update) changes how the hardware and memory addressing space is accessed, this has a big influence on Windows"

.-I spoke to MSI forums and the person said I had to "(flash) update BIOS for my Motherboard to fully support the Windows 8/10 UEFI features" . ...as apparently now my current W/10 was installed in 'Legacy' mode
    But also "for UEFI to work you must do a clean install and the BIOS options must be set to have Windows 8 mode / Windows 10 enabled"

-You can read more about what he says here> Apparently my MSI motherboard is not compatable with Windows creators update? He is called 'electrostingz' so you can just read his comments.

I just wanted to get 2nd opinion and confirm on other forums, such as here, that I would need to do this; clean reinstall Windows and all my games/apps etc.

I have been instructed to:
    1-Flash BIOS
    2-Check BIOS settings, enable Windows 8/10, disable Windows 7.
    3-Save&Exit
    4-Enter BIOS check Boot options, are they showing UEFI
    5-Boot from Install device, DVD or flash drive. (I don't think your current Windows will boot)

My Motherboard: B75MA-E33. I currently have v1.1 and I need to upgrade to 1.7

Thank You

:)

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017

2. How to convert my ssd format from Mbr to Gpt with the installation prog. of Windows 10?

Hello,

After update my sistem from w 7 to w 10 in BIOS mode i want to perfome a clean install of w 10 in UEFI mode. In order to do that i have to change same Bios parameter , boot in Uefi usb removeble support that i have create with Media Creation Tool formatted
    in fat 32 and i have to change my ssd format from MBR to GPT.

Can i perform this job with installation program ?

How to open prompt during Windows 10 installation program (SHIFT + F10 will run)?

Can i use DISKPART from it before install?

Thank you for your answer

RICCARDO FORMICA PAPIS, Aug 6, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Clean Install Windows 10 SSD

If you have a UEFI BIOS, you will need to go into the BIOS and turn off Secure Boot and in some cases turn on CSM (Compatibility Support Module, this will hopefully enable you to perform a clean install
    of Windows 10

If this does not work for you, please let us know!

DaveM121, Aug 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  5. C0zzie Win User
    Hi

So the MBR2GPT method, if I have read and watched correctly...all I need to do is open cmd and type "mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS "..and thats it? Just typing 'mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS' will auto update my BIOS and I wont need to 'flash' my Motherboard with the latest version and reinstall Windows/softwares again?
    The W/10 forum tut does not mention about 'microsoft deployment toolkit' like the video does..?

To be honest I have been thinking about having a clean install, as I have had PC for a number of years, and would like it nice and clean with only some softwares installed. So I probably will go with flashing BIOS/motherboard and reinstall W/10 and all softwares.

I am still going to backup photos, documents, projects etc. I am writing a list of the softwares I need to re-install *Tongue. I have macrium so will create an image...IF something does wrong I can change back to Legacy mode in BIOS to Windows 7.

updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 [​IMG]

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    mbr2gpt will not flash your bios nor affect any of it's settings. It is hard drive conversion only. The BIOS must be flashed and "converted" separately using whatever method the manufacturer provides.

Now would be an excellent time to upgrade to an SSD *Wink

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  7. C0zzie Win User
    I thought I had to reinstall Windows 10 when the new UEFI feature is enabled? It says on the 'Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside W10 totorial' that "This only applies if Windows 10 was installed using UEFI, not legacy BIOS", which is what my version is now

Oh, so mbr2gpt will just change Legacy to UEFI. Well thats what flashing my BIOS will do as well, it will update to latest version and also allow for UEFI...which is what mbr2gpt does.

But if I use mbr2gpt to update to UEFI, flashing BIOS will just update as normal and I wont need to reinstall?

I might be making this extra confusing. Will most likely just flash and reinstall

What makes you say I need to upgrade to SSD *Redface?

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

I'd do a flash and separate clean reinstall - especially if you wanted to tidy up anyway.

The conversion tool is new and has had problems reported with it. mbr2gpt will change you disk layout but you still need to change your firmware to boot from EFI loader. If you just run that your system will definitely not restart.

Just make sure you have a backup and something you can boot from and give it a go if you want.

There is generally no particular benefit to be gained from converting to EFI. It makes managing multiboot systems easier (usually) but doesn't have any particular performance benefit either way.

lx07, Aug 6, 2017
  9. C0zzie Win User
    Ye I think I will just flash and reinstall *Smile

Hopefully all goes well and easy for me

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You do not need to fully re-install Windows. You do need to convert your hard drive to the format that supports UEFI booting. Most of the free methods to do that won't do it if there is an active installation of Windows on the hard drive. MBR2GPT is an exception to that. They say you have to re-install Windows because for most methods of converting the hard drive Windows has to be removed from the hard drive. However, backup and restore is the option most of us have used in the past so we don't re-install Windows - we restore our Windows from a backup.

What MBR2GPT will do is convert the hard drive to the format that supports UEFI booting. It will not change your computer from legacy BIOS mode to UEFI mode. That is accomplished by changing the boot mode setting in "BIOS". The reason I put "BIOS" in quotes, is because it is really called UEFI firmware in a computer that can boot in UEFI mode. But for simplicity sake, we'll just keep using BIOS

That should be true. Flashing the BIOS will update the BIOS only. When you switch to UEFI booting in the BIOS setting, MBR2GPT converts the hard drive to be able to boot from BIOS.

Moving from running Windows from a hard disk drive to an SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can do to your computer to see the biggest increase in performance. Since you are seriously considering making changes to the BIOS and doing a clean install of Windows 10, that would be the perfect time to install the SSD. This is how it would work:

1. Flash the BIOS update.
    2. Disconnect the existing HDD, leave it disconnected, install the SSD.
    3. Boot the computer into "BIOS" setup (it's really UEFI firmware). Make all the settings changes you need to. You will want to enable UEFI booting, and make sure the SATA disk controller is set to AHCI mode. You might not be able to move the SSD to the top of the boot order yet because the required files for UEFI booting are not installed on it yet.
    4. Boot the computer from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD and install Windows 10 onto the blank SSD which show now install in the format supporting UEFI.
    5. After Windows is installed you might need to go back into "BIOS" setup and move the SSD (Windows Boot Manager) to the top of the boot order.
    6. Now reconnect your HDD as a secondary storage drive. There are several ways you can use to clean up the drive and make it just a single storage space for data files that you want to keep that will survive a crash of Windows should it occur. It will also give you a place to make backup images of your SSD that can be easily restored if something happens to the SSD or the Windows installed on it.

Don't be concerned about getting an SSD large enough to hold all your data files like photos, movies, and music. You can use your old HDD for that. Most people find a 256 GB SSD to be about right. Some get by just fine with a 128 GB SSD. I have a 512 GB SSD in my main laptop computer just because I like to have extra space for multiple Windows installations to play around with. Again, your only running Windows and your programs from the SSD - keep your data files on the HDD.

As @lx07 stated, changing the boot mode from legacy BIOS to UEFI, by itself, won't give you a noticeable improvement in performance.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  11. C0zzie Win User
    Ye I cant boot in UEFI mode so flashing the BIOS with the new update should allow this (and hopefully fix my issue). And, as you probably know, I need to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode. Although do you think I can try using this method? How to Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC

updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 [​IMG]

You both said changing to UEFI mode wont have a big performance difference, but as my issue was with RAM, MSI forums said to update anyway as "motherboard BIOS (update) changes how the hardware and memory addressing space is accessed, this has a big influence on Windows"... so it should hopefully resolve my issue.

So if I decide to buy an SSD (I presume there are enough cables/connections for both SSD and HDD), once I installed Windows on SSD and then reconnect the HDD, how does the 'booting' work? As I have not wiped hdd yet, wont my PC read that everything (including old legacy Windows) is on my HDD still? Wont all my files load on my PC/desktop as HDD is connected?

I was going to leave the SSD a few months ago, as someone told me, but as I most likely clean install, now it a good chance like you said to set it up.

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  12. Start by updating BIOS. Don't switch BIOS settings to UEFI mode. Test how Windows works after this upgrade.

If you ever decide that it's still slow, then buy and install an SSD, switch to UEFI mode in BIOS settings and install Windows on the SSD using your preferred installation method.

Upgrading BIOS won't force you to run in UEFI mode, it will still support legacy boot.

slicendice, Aug 6, 2017
  13. C0zzie Win User

Ah, so once I flash my BIOS, will Windows definitely load, as I was worried it wouldnt,? And if it hopefully loads, its because its let to Legacy mode, it wont auto change and stop working will it?. The person even mentions that a Legacy Windows install wont work with UEFI so you have to reinstall

But then again...my "personalised settings (not responding)". issue was due to RAM. And so updating to UEFI (with Windows reinstall) should hopefully fix it. But if I reinstall Windows on SSD, Windows wont load as I need to switch to UEFI first? little confused about that part

Sorry that I am dragging this on, need to be 100% certain as I dont feel comfortable changing all this and updating that

Hopefully you can understand! *Smile

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Who told you you had to switch to UEFI to get windows booting ? That`s horse hockey. You do not have to flash a Bios to get the memory working, more horse hockey.

Fix your memory problem.

You can flash your Bios if you want, but that`s not gonna get windows booting if you have a memory issue.

Have you ever flashed a Bios before ? Do you know what you`re doing ?

And as far as installing windows in Legacy mode vs UEFI is a matter of choice, there is no speed gain from UEFI, I always install in Legacy mode, I like 1 partition for windows.

Have you had windows on this pc ? Was it ever running fine ? Did this memory problem arise out of the blue ?

Give us some background info on that please.

AddRAM, Aug 6, 2017
  15. C0zzie Win User
    Windows boots normally now. My PC is working fine. But 3 random times I recieved "personalised settings (not responding)". I spoke to Microsoft support and they told me its to do with RAM. ATM taskmanager shows memory at 41%, sometimes CD usage is 100%. MSI forums have told me to switch to UEFI as "motherboard BIOS (update) changes how the hardware and memory addressing space is accessed, this has a big influence on Windows". Which seems understandable..I think? What other choice do I have to fix that issue I was facing?

Here is what he suggests, you can take a read but its a lot of me asking questions haha: Apparently my MSI motherboard is not compatable with Windows creators update?

Microsoft tech have suggested silly suggestions like; my current MB does not support latest W/10 creator so I need to roll back Windows to W/10 1605v, Someone said to upgrade RAM (I was gonna spend £££ on it), seems like this suggestion is most understandable...kinda?

C0zzie, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

1. updating my BIOS to support UEFI , I need to clean install W/10 - Similar Threads - updating BIOS support

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clean Install of Windows 10 After UEFI bios Update?: Been Experiencing Slow File Transfers with USB 3.2 Gen 1 Ports, Contacted Gigabyte esupport, there response was if after updating F5D Uefi bios a clean install wasn't done, We suggest you do that, and update all the drivers, and supposely might make USB file transfers work...
  6. Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...: Above explained submitted by /u/NotoriousO [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8lu14/is_it_possible_to_upgrade_the_bios_of_my_pc_which/
  7. Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT: My computer is several years old, but the main boot drive was replaced less than 3 months ago. Earlier this week an attempt to apply the version 2004 update rendered the computer unbootable 0xc0000098. After much googling, trying many things, and a help forum thread, I ended...
  8. Will doing a clean Windows 10 install fix UEFI firmware not supported?

Will doing a clean Windows 10 install fix UEFI firmware not supported?: Hi, so I actually have two problems and I’m thinking the only way to fix both of them may be to reinstall Windows 10, but i want to make sure before I go through with that. Problem 1: A few days ago the power flashed while I was using my computer and when it came back on my...
  9. clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI

clean install with anniversary update & disk conversion BIOS to UEFI: I have an existing Windows 10 Pro installation. My partitions are: system reserved: 500 mb C: boot, page file, primary partition E: logical drive F: logical drive I would like to do a clean install with WIN 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and convert my disk from BIOS to...
  10. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?: Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB...