Windows 10: Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.

Discus and support Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am getting ready to upgrade to Win 10 on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. I have been reviewing the forum to see what issues I may encounter and I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnM72, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JohnM72 Win User

Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.

I am getting ready to upgrade to Win 10 on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. I have been reviewing the forum to see what issues I may encounter and I have not encountered a solution (that may mean I did not understand) . First, I do have a legal copy (3) of win 7 home premium. I bought an upgrade for 3 PC’s sometime back. I upgraded from vista to 7. Over the course of the last 5 or so years I have had to re-install the 7 OS on both the laptop and desktop. I got to the point that MS says my key is invalid.
    I call support and they tell me I can only upgrade from vista. I explain to them that this is a reinstall due to some hardware failure. They login into my machine then give me a 15 quartet key to enter. And alas all is well.

My question is if I enter my original key (7 key) will I get the same problem. Being it is an upgrade to 10 will there be an issue activating ten? I hate to get to end of the install and find out I need to go back to square one or call support to correct the issue and explain all the ramifications.

One thought is if I enter the original they may just say OK. But then I remember “nature sides with the hidden flaw”!*Sad

Thanks for your suggestions.

John

:)

JohnM72, Jan 20, 2016

2. Activating windows 10.

You need the actual Windows 7 product key to activate Windows 10. You said originally for Windows Vista, is the key for Vista or do you mean its the original Windows 7 upgrade key from Vista?

If its the Windows 7 key, try contacting support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Otherwise, you need to purchase a new license:

Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro

Andre Da Costa, Jan 20, 2016
  3. Need Windows 10 activation key

Did you legally upgrade the laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

If you did and the Windows 7 license was activated, then the product key should be present when you performed the upgrade to Windows 10.

You can use Show Key Plus to find the original Windows 7 key:

How to Find Your Product Key After Upgrading to Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Jan 20, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

quote :
    Over the course of the last 5 or so years I have had to re-install the 7 OS on both the laptop and desktop. I got to the point that MS says my key is invalid.
    I call support and they tell me I can only upgrade from vista. I explain to them that this is a reinstall due to some hardware failure. They login into my machine then give me a 15 quartet key to enter. And alas all is well.
    .................................................................................................... ...........................................................................
    In that case, you can do In-place Upgrade to Windows 10 and you do NOT need to enter the product key. Activation will be automatic.

Use one of the 2 links below to download the iso file.............

Media Creation Tool (MCT)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Jan 20, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    Does it have an activated copy of Windows 7 running at the moment? If so you should be able to upgrade it to Windows 10, and you shouldn't need to enter a Product Key.

Have a look here
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

I would always take a full backup image (I use Macrium Reflect Free) before attempting an upgrade, to give me something to roll back to, and in your case it's particularly relevant as I suspect restoring a backup would activate more easily than trying to install Win7 again.

Edit: Beaten to it!

DavidY, Jan 20, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 20, 2016
  7. JohnM72 Win User
    I figured out the question I had asked below. It is amazing how much a little reading can do for the learning process*Smile

I want to thank all for your help. I may start the upgrade this afternoon or tomorrow morning and I will log my results.
    One last question (you don't believe that) What is the difference between downloading the ISO file from the 2 links in DavidY's post and
    starting the upgrade from the windows update in the control panel? Just a curiosity!

Thanks again John

JohnM72, Jan 21, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

You mean from post.
    I was the one who posted 2 links for iso download.

There is no difference between upgrading from the iso file and upgrading from Windows Update. You'll still get the same version and apps.

A simplified answer will be :
    Some users want to upgrade by doing Clean Install, in which case, they will need the ISO file.
    Others do the upgrade install by Windows Update for ease and convenience.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  9. JohnM72 Win User
    I just figured that out. Just a little slow today! Sorry about the name error, my fingers are slower than my eyes!

JohnM72, Jan 21, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    No problem.
    If you decide to install Win 10, please post back the result afterwards.
    Good luck.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  11. JohnM72 Win User
    Well I installed Win 10 and it works, absolutely no thoughts of going back to 7*Biggrin. Now I must admit it took longer than I expected, about 2.5 hours. Remember it is a Dell 1535 dual processors 2.0 gig. The good part is that I caught up on some reading.
    The install did turn off Ad-Aware 11. Also, I managed to screw up Roxio and that was my fault. I think both of the issues are not a big deal.

I think getting use to the new look and feel may take a little time but then again it is not a show stopper by any stretch of the imagination. MS Edge from what I have read is somewhat problematic, again no problem as I will continue to use Chrome and play with edge. The only thing I was not ready for was changing my login password but that is an easy fix.

I will upgrade our Desktop after I finish our taxes, the warden would not be happy if I messed up her machine.

An interesting note is that I was having one heck of a time with Outlook and the office 10 suite. It would take Outlook a minute and a half to come up and there were system waits that would go on for 15 to 30 seconds. My conclusion was that there must have been some modules in 7 that were somewhat corrupted. Because Outlook takes about 10+ seconds to come up now.
    Now it's time to play more.
    And again thanks for your help.

John

JohnM72, Jan 23, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    One thing I'd like you to do......................
    Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7. - Similar Threads - Updating using original

2. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista: I have an HP laptop that was a 2008 model that was purchased at Sam's Club in 2009. It came with the Vista operating system and I have the product key and an install disk for that. I also have a Windows 7 disk that either came with the laptop or was mailed to me by HP....
  3. Updating from Windows Vista

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating from Windows Vista: Hello! I've got an old Acer Aspire 4520 that I've resurrected to give to a friend who needs a laptop. What I didn't account for was that it's still running Windows Vista. I'd like to update to Windows 10, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't know if the computer can even...
  4. Finding Serial Key for ReInstalling Windows 10 Pro (updated from Win 7 Pro originally)

Finding Serial Key for ReInstalling Windows 10 Pro (updated from Win 7 Pro originally): Hello, I have been facing the issue of BSOD with Stop code error stating Bad System Config Info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-is-not-booting-bad-system-config/8cbaf277-e2d0-4585-8028-22298051182c The only option seems to be...
  5. Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10

Can't find Original Product Key - Upgraded from 7/8 to 10: So basically I bought windows 7 or 8 (can't even remember) and I used my university email back then. Since then I graduated and I have no longer access to my old E-Mail account and the receipt from Microsoft. Since then I upgraded to 10 and a few days ago I bought a new PC....
  6. win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??: Hi all, hope your having a great day.. I have a few desktop's I would like to upgrade, I have 3 that have windows 7 that I installed not long ago.. and I have a desktop that has the factory key to vista,but the HHD is formatted, it has the factory product key on the case, the...
  7. Upgrade to Windows 10 from original windows 7 ?

Upgrade to Windows 10 from original windows 7 ?: Can I upgrade my old Dell laptop Windows 7 to Windows 10 using a purchased Windows 10 disc ? And I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-windows-10-from-original-windows-7/7f5a55b2-a84c-4e7b-85d4-ecde0fb97f35
  8. Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.: I have clean installed the Anniversary Edition of W10 (x64 pro) and can not get the old W7/Vista games to launch and run. These were the original Chess Titans, Mahjong etc. The files install as normal but the actual games will not launch from the main screen. Nothing...
  9. Remove Original Key and Original Edition from ShowKeyPlus

Remove Original Key and Original Edition from ShowKeyPlus: I recently downgraded my system from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home Single Language. I used the default product key to upgrade from Home to Pro. How do I remove that from my system? 84413
  10. windows 10 win 7 and vista

windows 10 win 7 and vista: I have windows vista and 7 on dual boot, same drive . I ask the board if it is possible to install win 10 on an other partion and keep all 3 on the same drive. If it's possible how I will go about. thank you for any support 78920