Windows 10: Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10

Discus and support Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a volume licensed copy of Windows 8 Enterprise installed on my laptop for which and I no longer have access to updates. Is it possible to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rmk9785e, Jun 6, 2016.

1. rmk9785e Win User

Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10

I have a volume licensed copy of Windows 8 Enterprise installed on my laptop for which and I no longer have access to updates. Is it possible to downgrade to a legal copy of Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and then upgrade to Windows 10 Home or Pro? If not, would I be able to install a retail Windows 10 Home or Pro on this machine as an in-place update?
    I wish to find a legal way to move to Windows 10 without losing my installed applications or data.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

rmk9785e, Jun 6, 2016
  2. LemP Win User

Why don't i have a free windows 10 upgrade?

Andre,

I've seen several official Microsoft statements that confirm that Enterprise editions do not qualify for the free Windows 10 upgrade, but I have not seen any official statement that volume license editions of
    Professional editions do not qualify.

Do you have a link to a Microsoft statement that clarifies whether volume licensed installations of Win 7 Pro or Win 8/8.1 Pro qualify for the free upgrade?

The following is on Microsoft's Windows 10 page (Explore Windows 10 New Updates & Features | See What Windows 10 is Like):

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade
    for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required.
    Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

The last sentence appears to say that certain customers can upgrade in a different manner, but says nothing about excluding any customers from the upgrade. To me, the plain meaning of that last sentence is that a customer with a Win 7, 8, or 8.1 Enterprise
    edition who also has "Active Software Assurance" can upgrade to Win 10 Enterprise, but not through the Windows Update mechanism.

LemP, Jun 6, 2016
  3. poorfeg Win User
    Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. What about Windows 8 !!!.

i cant find the upgrade on the store

it is already updated even the optional updates

my version of win 8 is

Windows 8 Pro, if installed by an organization or a program that uses Volume Licensing

i thinkand it **** sucks it is not getting free upgrade to 8.1

poorfeg, Jun 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  5. rmk9785e Win User
    Thank you for sharing sources to purchase new license. I still need to know if a new Windows 8.1 Professional will allow an in-place downgrade from Windows 8 Enterprise to 8.1 Pro which would then be eligible for upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

rmk9785e, Jun 18, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you read the first link in my reply?

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2016
  7. rmk9785e Win User
    My bad. I only looked at the link below the message. Thank you for the link.
    Now that I have read that, I have a question. Step 7 says "Close and insert Windows 8 Pro CD and install." Would it work equally with Windows 8.1 Pro?
    Additionally, would it be eligible for and prompt for the free Windows 10 upgrade?

rmk9785e, Jun 19, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, and no. Yes it should work equally with Windows 8.1 Pro. No, it won't b eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade until you enter a Windows 8/8.1 Pro product key to activate the Windows 8.1.

Although, I think you might be able to upgrade to Windows 10 before activation and then enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 Pro product key in Windows 10 to activate it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 19, 2016
  9. rmk9785e Win User
    Of course I will purchase Windows 8.1 Pro with a product key and will activate it right after installation. I want to ensure each step works before moving to the next step in upgrade.
    Do I have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro right away after making the registry edits or can I continue using it while I wait to get my Windows 8.1 install ready? I will be installing it from a USB stick.

rmk9785e, Jun 19, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    As soon as it is installed and activated, you can upgrade to Windows 10. We recommend not waiting for it to show up in Windows Update. Instead, we recommend downloading an ISO file and you can just mount the ISO file and run setup.exe from the virtual DVD drive letter created from mounting it. Windows update has proven to be the least reliable way of upgrading to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jun 19, 2016
  11. rmk9785e Win User
    This may sound like a silly question but once the registry hack is done, wouldn't Microsoft update automatically install 8.1 or do I need to purchase a new 8.1 key?

rmk9785e, Jun 19, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows update will not install Windows 8.1, you have to install Windows 8.1 manually. You say this is a laptop. Did it come with an OS installed on it from the factory? What OS did it come with and if it was Windows 7, is there a COA sticker anywhere on it with a product key printed on the sticker?

NavyLCDR, Jun 19, 2016
  13. rmk9785e Win User

This is a MacBook Pro. Windows 8 Enterprise was installed on a BootCamp partition when I received it. I'm trying to move it to Windows 10 without losing the applications installed on it. I can buy the Windows 8.1 Pro from the earlier link and then upgrade it to 10.

rmk9785e, Jun 19, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. That's pretty much what you are going to have to do, then. Purchase the Windows 8.1 Pro for it, download the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO, do the registry hack, do an "in place upgrade" by mounting the ISO file and running setup.exe in it, the activate it by changing the product key to the Windows 8.1 product key you purchased.

Well, actually, when you run the Windows 8.1 Pro setup.exe it will probably ask for a product key - then you would enter the purchased product key.

NavyLCDR, Jun 19, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    Just be aware - although the registry hack does work, the in-place downgrade will leave rogue Enterprise files behind - which could have unexpected results. It's better to do a clean install.

Superfly, Jun 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Updating Volume licensed Windows 8 to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Updating Volume licensed

2. Transfer Windows 10 retail licenses between machines upgraded Win 8 Pro & Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 retail licenses between machines upgraded Win 8 Pro & Win 10: I currently have two machines running with different editions of Windows 10.Machine 1 uses an upgraded Windows 8 Pro retail license, machine 2 a Windows 10 non-Pro retail license.As more and more hardware components of machine 1 are dying, I plan to replace it by a newer...
  3. Windows 10 Volume License

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Volume License: If I have 200 computers to be upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro what type of Windows 10 Volume License I need and the cost? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-volume-license/0638f485-8615-45fb-b85d-0f53c28e7159
  4. Windows 10 Volume License

Windows 10 Volume License: Hi, We recently purchased a laptop on eBay and have found the version of Windows 10 installed to be what is shown in this screenshot: [ATTACH] Our question: Will we able to continue using the OS after the Volume Activation expires in 165 days? Or, as we suspect, will the...
  5. microsoft volume license win 10 download

microsoft volume license win 10 download: downloaded win 10 enterprise and got this version: SW_DVD9_Win_Pro_Ent_Edu_N_10_1809_64-bit_English_MLF_X21-96501 this version comes with no windows media player can't find a regular version win 10 pro on the site.....helptold when i called just to save as and change...
  6. Windows 8/10 product licenses

Windows 8/10 product licenses: I have three copies of windows 8/8.1 and have installed them on three PC’s some time ago. Over time hardware has failed and been replaced as well as upgraded to windows 10, but only with two of the three licenses. I’m now replacing the third machine and I want to know how...
  7. Win 10 activation is expiring - volume license

Win 10 activation is expiring - volume license: I just started getting the popup message that "win 10 activation is expiring" reading some threads here I figured out that it is expiring on 3/13/18 and it is a volume license I bought this computer from a private seller on ebay. I'm pretty sure it was upgraded from Win-7...
  8. upgrade Win 8 technet licenses

upgrade Win 8 technet licenses: I have a bunch of Win 8.1 licenses from my technet subscription. Obviously, the subscription no long exists, but I find these licenses still work when I activate my machines. So my question is: how can I batch upgrade these licenses to Win 10 before it the free upgrade...
  9. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?: Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed (without activation?) and bought Win7. I also bought an additional Win7 license then, "just in case". What should be the...
  10. Reinstalling Win 10 starting from a Win 8 license

Reinstalling Win 10 starting from a Win 8 license: Hi, I have a Win 8 license, am running 8.1. If I upgrade to Win 10, then need to reinstall from scratch, where would I start? Starting from Win 8 would be horrendous! Thanks. 3677