Windows 10: Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled?

Discus and support Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; With the new major release of Windows 10 AU (Redstone) or even the upcoming Redstone 2 update planned somewhere around beginning of 2017, will I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled?

With the new major release of Windows 10 AU (Redstone) or even the upcoming Redstone 2 update planned somewhere around beginning of 2017, will I have to temporarily disable BitLocker in the process of updating to Redstone?

Since this is a major update to Windows 10, can it have issues with machines that have BitLocker enabled ?

In any case, I do have backups in place.

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Aug 29, 2016

2. after Redstone update, Can't access to the USB storage that protected by bitlocker.

after Redstone update, I can't access to the USB storage that protected by bitlocker.

the USB can access on non Redstone but can't access on Redstone.

format is NTFS, 64GB.

Koenig HerbertTaylor, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Dal_lu Win User
    The permissions of "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\BCD00000000\Description" is changed in RS1?

I found the permissions for Administrators of "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\BCD00000000\Description" is changed from "Read" to "Full Control" in Win10 RedStone update. Is this an expected change?

Dal_lu, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled?

I have successfully upgraded a major version with bitlocker on. However, that was only because I forgot about it and did not disable it. I would never consciously upgrade like that as the risk is too great in my opinion.

Mystere, Aug 29, 2016
  5. So should I leave it enabled during a major update like Redstone?

Anyone else can shed some light on this?

If it's too risky, then what the heck, I'll just do a clean fresh install of Redstone. No biggy.

Thanks

win10freak, Aug 29, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    There's an option to Suspend Bitlocker temporarily without decrypting everything.
    I'd use that (although I would want to take a full backup first for safety, but that would be true regardless of Bitlocker for any OS upgrade).

Like Mystere, I have left Bitlocker enabled and got away with it upgrading to a new OS version.

Given some users of Windows 10 Home will have Device Encryption (a cut-down form of Bitlocker), but no control over when major OS updates are applied, Microsoft should have made the update process robust enough to work without the user needing to intervene, because the user may not have an opportunity to.

DavidY, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    It's up to you. As I said, I would never do so on purpose, but you can do whatever you want.

Mystere, Aug 30, 2016
  8. Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled?

I will wait until Redstone 2 which should be rolled out by Jan 2017.
    Whatever happens during the upgrade, well, at least I have my stuff backed up or better yet, just to do a fresh clean install.

Thanks

win10freak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled?

1. Updating Win10 to Redstone with BitLocker Enabled? - Similar Threads - Updating Win10 Redstone

2. Unable to enable BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to enable BitLocker: While enabling bitlocker getting error, screenshot attached https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-enable-bitlocker/1664feef-f130-43b1-833f-d19c3d4b99b4
  3. Bitlocker Randomly Enabled

Bitlocker Randomly Enabled: Hi,On my personal Lenovo laptop, Bitlocker somehow randomly was enabled. I have not enabled it, and I followed the recovery steps without luck. It seems that it was enabled during an update. I logged into my Microsoft account, see that the laptop is listed, but there is no...
  4. Cannot enable BitLocker

Cannot enable BitLocker: Hi all, I need help with drive encryption. The BitLocker keeps giving me an error with a message "The startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly. Contact your system administrator for more information". [ATTACH] I have attempted everything I could on my...
  5. Bitlocker Not Enabling

Bitlocker Not Enabling: I just started up Bitlocker, and completed most of the process, but the program ever got around to encrypting. I assume this is due to system administrator lock-out, but I've confirmed I have sys admin privileges. This is a brand-new computer without a network. Attached is...
  6. Enabling BitLocker

Enabling BitLocker: On my personal laptop, I'm trying to turn on BitLocker and I get this notice. Does anyone know and have any detailed instructions on how I can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/enabling-bitlocker/5ff617a2-e9da-44ea-827f-131e28056882"
  7. Enabling Bitlocker with GPO

Enabling Bitlocker with GPO: Once the GPO for BitLocker's settings have been configured and assigned do I still need to manually enable Bitlocker on the specific device or should the GPO kick off the process automatically? 95742
  8. Win10 Redstone Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Redstone Update: I have my updates set to defer upgrades and I am wondering as to how long would it delay a feature update like the Redstone update? Is there like a certain timeframe to this by having that setting checked? And what if I decide I want this Redstone update now? Should I...
  9. samsung usb monitor incompability with win10 redstone?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    samsung usb monitor incompability with win10 redstone?: yo guys i have a samsung usb LD190G (LS19LFUGF/EN) and it worked just fine with the previous "normal" windows 10 but i recently installed the new aniversary edition, redstone i believe its called and i cant for the life of me to get the monitor working now i tried...
  10. Win10 Redstone and Redstone 1 License Key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Redstone and Redstone 1 License Key?: I am still running Win10 Pro (November Update 1511), and I am waiting for Redstone 1 (stable release) to roll out. I think its planned in January of 2017, I am not sure. Anyways, I did a clean install of Win10 Pro version 1511 using by license key for that version from the...
Tags: