Windows 10: Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10

Discus and support Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using Win 10 for about 2 months. Before I installed Win10, I cloned my hard drive that has Win7 on it just in case Win10 didn’t deliver as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 6185JGL, Dec 15, 2015.

1. 6185JGL Win User

Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10

I have been using Win 10 for about 2 months. Before I installed Win10, I cloned
    my hard drive that has Win7 on it just in case Win10 didn’t deliver as promised.
    Monday I thought I’d update the Win7, so I open the PC case, disconnected the
    wires from the C drive and connected them to the Win7 hard drive. I opened
    Win7 and updated everything on the drive that needed it, like the OS, the Nvidia
    driver, Malwarebytes, etc.

I then disconnected the Win7 drive and returned it to its box. I reconnected the
    Win10 drive and powered up the PC. I saw the BIOS screen, then a black screen
    with “Loading operating system…” and nothing more. “Loading operating
    system…” stayed on the screen 5 minutes until I shut the PC down and restarted
    it. Same result.
    I powered the PC down, checked that all the connections were solid, and tried
    again. Same result. I gave up.

Tuesday AM I tried again with the same result. Then I restarted, opened BIOS,
    and instructed the PC to boot from the hard drive. Success!
    Then I restarted the PC just to be sure and it would not open again. I had to go to
    BIOS and specify the boot procedure again. Why it not opening as it has done for
    the past 2 months?

John

:)

6185JGL, Dec 15, 2015
  2. ColinSTW Win User

Permanent Way to Turn Off Airplane Mode for Windows 10 Desktops

Now with no free update from win7 to win10, on the recent update of win10 that Airplane mode has returned. Previously I re-installed win7 to fix this and then upgraded free. If this option is no longer available to me then the only solution is to revert
    to win7 again. Times consuming and laborious I know, but this is becoming a major hassle everytime MS updates it causing lock into airplane mode. Come on MS fix this its been around months, especially if you want people to pay for win10 upgrade.

ColinSTW, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Pelcaro Win User
    LAN fails after Win10 update

Good morning Ugo,

I have never downloaded the NIC drivers for my recent boxes(ages 2ys, 1yr, 6months). The LAN was working perfectly (full functionality between all boxes) with following the previous WIN10 update, it is this last one that has caused the problem.

My LAN is: 1 Win7 box and 3 Win10 boxes all wired to a router. I can reach the web from all boxes independently and the Win7 box can reach all the Win10 boxes separately. There is no password on the Win7, but there are passwords on the Win10 ones. When
    trying to reach the Win7 from a Win10, I get a panel asking for credentials (password) but there isn't one to give.

I hope the above brief summary of the LAN set up with previous and current functionality helps.

Kind regards,

Pelcaro, Dec 15, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

If it's UEFI BIOS it changes firmware in CMOS/BIOS too to suit it's settings.

CountMike, Dec 15, 2015
  5. 6185JGL Win User
    CountMike,
    Sorry. I'm not that technically knowledgable. I do not understand your response nor how it leads me to a fix.
    John

6185JGL, Dec 15, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    When you are in the BIOS menu you can also reset the boot order as well as select which drive to boot from. I think you need to update the boot order to make sure it recognises the W10 hard disk again..

philc43, Dec 15, 2015
  7. 6185JGL Win User
    philc43,

When I get to the boot menu, Hard disk is the 3rd item listed and there is a + next to it. I click that and get a page with my 2 hard drives listed, The Win10 HDD is listed first and the Linux HDD is second. There is no + next to the Win10 drive. Should there be? I don't remember if there was in the past as I don't often get into BIOS. Do you think that there is a setting in BIOS that says "always open the first HDD listed"?

John

6185JGL, Dec 15, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

Can you indicate what the first and second items are in the boot priority order? I think something is trying to bootup ahead of your hard disk and it might well be a UEFI setting as suggested by @CountMike. If possible try to change the boot order and make your hard disk first in the list.

The plus sign is just because you have two hard disks and is the way to access them as you did.

philc43, Dec 15, 2015
  9. 6185JGL Win User
    I found boot priority in CMOS and all is well now. Thanks.
    John

6185JGL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10 - Similar Threads - Updating Win7 caused

2. Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro: Hi all,this is sooo boring ..... i have the same problem as so many windows users in the world - upgrade to Win10 pro from Win7pro is not working at all.I did everything people suggested e.g. clean boot, disable any antivirus, putting the windows source to an USB.Nothing,...
  3. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  4. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  5. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  6. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  7. Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy: I'm reluctantly starting the process of upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and I have a few concerns. How does Windows 10 Home edition currently handle installing updates? What are the recommended tools/techniques for enhancing privacy? Most of the information I've found online...
  8. Logon Problem (Win10 to Win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Logon Problem (Win10 to Win7): First off I have to note by no means am I a network guru so please bear with me. I have a question/problem with networking. I have 5 PC’s - 4 laptops and a desktop. Lap1 (Win10), Lap2 (Win10), Lap3 (Win8), Lap4 (Win7), Desk (Win7). I routinely logon to Desk and Lap4 from...
  9. Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7): Hi Last time I checked Win10 it was only possible to postpone installing certain Win updates that W10 found, nothing more. Is it EVER going to be possible on W10 to do as in W7 ... namely install only the Win updates that the user wishes to install? If yes - how? Thank...
  10. update win7 to win10 10074 problem

update win7 to win10 10074 problem: I can install the update it goes through all the motions, reboots, continues, asks for my permission, reboots again and looks as if it is actually installing win 10, then upon hitting 100% it reboots once more and reverts back to my original OS making it completely impossible...