Windows 10: Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Discus and support Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We have a Windows 10 WIM configured with the required software. When I pull down the pre-Syspreped image (which was captured while in Audit Mode), I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mhsyn, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mhsyn Win User

Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

We have a Windows 10 WIM configured with the required software. When I pull down the pre-Syspreped image (which was captured while in Audit Mode), I am unable to use Windows Update to patch the image.
    How are you folks handling the updates to your gold Windows 10 images?
    Thanks.

:)

mhsyn, Mar 1, 2017

2. I cannot reset my windows 10 Computer

Windows Welcome Mode is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

1. Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the Search field at the taskbar.

2. Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize

DISCLAIMER:Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

3. Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 1, 2017
  3. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Mar 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Really does not matter as it will update itself automatically once installed and a user account is setup. This is quite quick due to the cumulative update mechanism.

This is going to happen even if you install updates or not in audit mode.

cereberus, Mar 3, 2017
  5. mhsyn Win User
    No, I disagree. Installing 1511 is not quick.

mhsyn, Mar 4, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I've not seen Upgrading to Version 1511 nor to Version 1607 to be nearly as quick as the Build updates to those Versions.

Berton, Mar 5, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Your reply makes no sense.

You do not same to understand the difference between a build upgrade and normal updates. They are delivered by different mechanisms.

Any sysprep image you create has to be a particular build.

You can slipstream in normal in-build updates to a particular build (those that that change the number after the build decimal point) if you download them offline but it is not that easy, and as I said not really worth it as each time there is a cumulative update, the cumulative update file is downloaded anyway regardless of whether previous updates are installed. The only minor saving of not starting from XXXXX.0 is the intallation may be slightly quicker but this is only a few minutes.

Build upgrades are delivered in a completely different way, and I cannot see for the life of me why you would start with an older build and slipstream in the build upgrade files and allow the build to autoupgrade afterwards even if you could do it.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

A case in point: the stand-alone download of the 64-bit Build 14393.693 update is just a bit over 1GB while the stand-alone download of Build 14393.442 Upgrade is just over 4GB. The 32-bit bit files are a bit smaller, update is about 900MB and the Upgrade is just under 4GB. It's all in the details, Win10 Upgrading or updating is more complicated that previous versions of Windows in getting the terms correct. Obviously some downloads will take more time and the users Internet connection speed affects it.

Berton, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Quoting a reply I posted in another thread last night:

Kari, Mar 5, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    That reply explains how to update an oobe install upgrade very well.

Basically confirms my earlier point that you cannot upgrade directly in audit mode - you have to upgrade in normal mode, then oobe - I more or less do the same thing with macrium and viboot, except I do not bother deleting the local account from oobe version, just simply changing it to an MS account later.

Of course, your method is cleaner though *Smile.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

• Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    • Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    • Sign out from all user accounts
    • Sign in to built-in admin
    • Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    • Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
      [*]
      When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    • Run Disk Clean-up
    • Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    • Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
      [*]
      Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    • Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    • In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    • When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
      [*]
      Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    • Remove the temporary admin user
    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is *Smile

12. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - I was unaware of the search issue as I rarely use it anyway, or I search from from file explorer (force of habit).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode - Similar Threads - Updating Audit Mode

2. I cant update my Windows 10 because of this Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cant update my Windows 10 because of this Audit Mode: Pls help me to fix this, I badly want to update my windows 10[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-my-windows-10-because-of-this-audit/4479681d-7c28-4c22-be58-04dc21976b1e
  3. Audit mode

Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  4. What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?: [ATTACH]Have you ever wondered how OEMs deploy Windows 10 OS with their own set of apps and drivers? Or how does the recovery partition helps […] This article What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  5. what is audit mode

what is audit mode: my win 10 won't install because it's in audit mode. what is audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-audit-mode/d0b1a6aa-be1e-4abb-b82b-1a3e54675033
  6. Audit Mode and Robocopy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audit Mode and Robocopy: So today I had an interesting issue. I had a data transfer from an old hard drive to a newly purchased system. It wasnt my system, else I would've follow windows oobe and then transfered the files. Instead, i hit control+shift+F3 to enter audit mode and then I opened PS as...
  7. How to update windows 1803 in audit mode?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to update windows 1803 in audit mode?: Hello, creating a golden image with loads of applications and doing updates, was able to do up to doing the 1803 update which does not allow me to, using windows 10 education, in audit mode. heard of doing an offline update, not sure where to find this info, many thanks 115725
  8. Windows 10 Audit mode and Windows Updates

Windows 10 Audit mode and Windows Updates: I apologize for the confusion on this, but I've been hitting a lot of brick walls with sysprep and WIndows 10. I'm rebuilding an image from scratch. With Windows 10, should I boot into Audit Mode and install all my applications, and configure my desktop and my start menu,...
  9. Windows 10 Lock Screen Wallpaper on Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Lock Screen Wallpaper on Audit Mode: I was trying to customize Windows 10 with our corporate backgrounds. The target is to have the same wallpaper and the same Lock Screen Background for each user in the domain. Normally what i did in Windows 7 was perform that modification in Audit Mode, but i'm not able to...
  10. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 audit mode

2. audit mode windows 10

3. windows 10 update in audit mode

4. what is audit mode windows 10,
  5. win 10 audit mode,
  6. run updates in audit mode,
  7. win10 audit mode,
  8. update windows 10 audit mode,
  9. you cant install windows in audit mode,
  10. update windows 10 in audit mode,
  11. get windows 10 updates in audit mode,