Windows 10: Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen

Discus and support Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This is happening on my PC that meets or exceeds all minimum requirements for installing Windows 10. All three of the household laptops updated with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JLWard2015, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen

This is happening on my PC that meets or exceeds all minimum requirements for installing Windows 10. All three of the household laptops updated with no problems (I'm using one now). I was very happy with Windows 10.

Cannot use any controls like Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

No left click - no right click.

Cannot access the menu because the screen is solid blue.

No BSOD error message - just a solid blue screen.

Suggestions??

:)

JLWard2015, Oct 11, 2016
  2. JRV529088 Win User

Since Anniversary Update, "Windows Spotlight" lock screen not working

Since the upgrade to Anniversary Update, my lock screen is solid blue, even though "Windows Spotlight" is selected. I've "refreshed" the setting by setting it to "Picture" (which works) and back to "Windows Spotlight". Restarted, too.

When Windows Spotlight is selected, the preview shows an image; it just doesn't appear on the screen.

JRV529088, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary update has rendered my laptop unusable

Same problem for me. The laptop was totally unusable after the anniversary update.

I had to reset Windows, but keep data files. That has fixed it. The anniversary update has run again and seems to be solid.

JeffGoodling, Oct 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen

Hello, your options appear to be very limited.

First priority: do you have a full backup of all data on that PC? If not, that could be the first thing to deal with either by booting your PC from an external bootable medium (DVD/CD/flash drive) such as the one at the top of the Sotfware and Apps section here, or by accessing your disk from another PC. (I'd prefer the first of those).

Have you been using disk or system imaging? We very strongly and repeatedly recommend this technique, as it gives people a second chance to recover without needing technical help by restoring a previously created image. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

Assuming you haven't yet discovered how valuable doing that routinely can be, you can try this:
    Download and create a bootable Win 10 installation medium if you don't already have one (recommended).
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Boot your system using that, and attempt a start-up repair.
    Startup Repair - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    (Click on link in 1 for guidance on using a disk/flash drive).

Note: you will almost certainly not have any system restore points remaining, assuming you had S Restore on previously, assuming the update completed, as it's a new Windows build.

Assessment: how difficult would it be to do a clean install? Do you have much installed or configured?

Please read this:
    Anniversary update fails, leaving system unbootable - Windows 10 Forums

Note the comment about the partition size.

Having noted that Win 10 seems to create a second recovery partition on an upgrade, I recommend leaving 500Mb min unallocated on a system disk for upgrades. I've no particular justification for that- just observation. Shouldn't be sthg we have to worry about. Hmm.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Thanks for your response - sorry for my late reply.

Yes, I've been able to recover all of my important data by removing my primary hard drive and using my BlacX device to copy all of that data to my laptop.

I made a Win 10 ISO download on a USB drive and during each attempt to install I kept getting a message that the install wouldn't initialize.

What do I have to do to do a clean install? Thanks in advance.

JLWard2015, Oct 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 12, 2016
  7. Okay - I was able to reinstall my old Win 7 using my installation CD and activation key. Obviously, everything else is gone from my PC's primary hard drive.

Question: If I now attempt to install Win 10 from the USB drive I created earlier, will I be prompted to enter an activation key? If so, what is my recourse with Microsoft since it was their Win 10 Anniversary Update that screwed up my PC?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

JLWard2015, Oct 13, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you wanted to install Win 10, there was no need to install '7. The tutorial I quoted above shows you how to do a clean install.

Lots of people have had lots of problems with the anniversary update and MS has been trying fix things with VERY large subsequent updates- which have also been problematic in not downloading or not installing. Just search for
    Windows anniversary problems
    or look at the threads in this forum.

Naturally you could
    a. Give feedback via the feedback app
    b. Comment on MS's technet site
    c. Spend megabucks instructing a US lawyer.....*Biggrin

dalchina, Oct 13, 2016
  9. Final post for this thread - success!

Thanks to having a verified copy of Windows 7 on my PC's hard drive, I was able to go to the site noted in the following article:

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...tive-features/

- and download a FREE copy of Windows 10 and install it. Win 10 installed cleanly and updated to the latest version. I'm now in the process of reinstalling all of my programs and transferring all of my files.

Thanks for your help!

JLWard2015, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen - Similar Threads - Updating Anniversary Update

2. Update results in frozen screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update results in frozen screen: Windows 11 updated itself. I now get a screen with 3 icons.1. Map pointer2. Fingerprint 3. Lock which is openI can't do anything - I can't click on any of those 3 icons, I can't do Alt-Tab to bring up another app. e.g. Task Manager which I can open via Ctrl-Alt-Delete but...
  3. Update results in frozen screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update results in frozen screen: Windows 11 updated itself. I now get a screen with 3 icons.1. Map pointer2. Fingerprint 3. Lock which is openI can't do anything - I can't click on any of those 3 icons, I can't do Alt-Tab to bring up another app. e.g. Task Manager which I can open via Ctrl-Alt-Delete but...
  4. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  5. Disable anniversary update lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable anniversary update lock screen: I have found two methods to do this, neither of which work Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update) - gHacks Tech News Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 are the ones I've tried, but the lock screen is still there. I'm on...
  6. Anniversary update has a login flaw.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary update has a login flaw.: I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Just did the anniversary update for Win 10, and have one problem, so far. I use to be able to either start the windows, or wake it up and go right to the program. Now I can start it when off, but when waking it up I had some kind...
  7. Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update: I keep getting the odd blue screen since the anniversary update. I think it's network related, the network driver. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it keeps happening. Any ideas? Attached is the zip file as per rules of posting on this section. 61175
  8. Kids computer , no blue screens until anniversary update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kids computer , no blue screens until anniversary update: Tried whocrashed , unknown module ,, Thanks people ,I attached the zip file . Attachment 96010 60135
  9. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  10. Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?: I have a laptop that came with windows 8.1 and the COA was embedded (so I have never seen it). I upgraded to the free win 10 that was available prior to July 29th cutoff. All was fine, a little buggy at times but upgraded and activated. So the anniversary update happened one...