Windows 10: Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

Discus and support Upgrade a vista laptop with new install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older vaio laptop that runs vista but I it is not listed on the sony website to have been tested with 10. Is there a way to manually run the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paulpies84, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

I have an older vaio laptop that runs vista but I it is not listed on the sony website to have been tested with 10. Is there a way to manually run the compatibility tool to see if I would have problems with installing 10 on it. I know I can't do an upgrade but thought I might have a play. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

:)

paulpies84, Feb 11, 2016
  2. CBZA Win User

Upgraded from Vista to Win8 and now to Windows 10

If you had upgraded to Windows 8 from Vista with an upgrade license, you will have to install Vista and complete the process from there.

If you scrap the laptop, you cannot the license of that old laptop on the new one. If you buy within the offer period, you can upgrade for free.

Office can be installed depending on the number of pcs you bought the license for.

3. tjt 1 Win User
    Can I replace Windows 10 with Vista?

I have a new Dell laptop, can I upgrade to Windows Vista?

I have four computers, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I have a new Dell laptop and I find Windows 10 to be the worst operating system since windows 95.

Windows Vista would be a huge upgrade.

Original title: Windows 10

tjt 1, Feb 11, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

I am not sure that you can run the compatibility tester on anything other than W7, W8 and W8.1.

Having said that, if you make a system image backup and have a recovery disk for your Vista you can experiment knowing you can always go back to where you were.

Then you can download a W10 ISO and clean install it just to see if it works, I think it does the compatibility check as part of the installation process. You will then need to buy a W10 license though to continue to use it and make any changes.

Another option is to buy a W7 upgrade disk or license and then upgrade from Vista to W7 and then do the free upgrade to W10, it might be cheaper that way.

philc43, Feb 11, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Use the windows 8.1 upgrade assistant - The requirements for 8.1 and 10 are more or less identical.

It will scan your PC and check your applications and devices for compatibility - it will tell you whats good to go, and what's not, and some possible fixes. However there are some PCs and laptops that are problematic, and I believe that some Vaio models have some problems - Google around for your particular model. If you do try an Install, a dual boot scenario to an empty partition is less likely to hose your current setup.

Fafhrd, Feb 11, 2016
  6. Super thanks I shall give it a try

paulpies84, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

1. Upgrade a vista laptop with new install - Similar Threads - Upgrade vista laptop

2. Windows Vista upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista upgrade: Hi there. I purchased 6 PC's a while back via a business which is no longer running but I still have the PC's which were kept in storage up until recently. They are all running windows Vista for Business. The problem I have is I missed out on the free upgrade to windows 7...
  3. Windows Vista upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista upgrade: Hi there. I purchased 6 PC's a while back via a business which is no longer running but I still have the PC's which were kept in storage up until recently. They are all running windows Vista for Business. The problem I have is I missed out on the free upgrade to windows 7...
  4. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Upgrade: I have an older desktop that came with Windows Vista. For the past few days, the computer turns on but Windows does not start. I have tried turning it on several times. Usually I get the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then after a few seconds, the screen goes dark. Once...
  5. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Upgrade: I have an older desktop that came with Windows Vista. For the past few days, the computer turns on but Windows does not start. I have tried turning it on several times. Usually I get the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then after a few seconds, the screen goes dark. Once...
  6. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows vista upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows vista upgrade: Hi, I bought "Microsoft Windows 10 Professional - OEM - ESD online" digital product key to upgrade my windows vista home premium to windows 10 professional, "how do i proceed?" Thanks Francis...
  9. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop: I have recently purchased 2 Windows 10 desktops and also have a Toshiba Satellite P300-1FN. Because of security fears on the Toshiba, I downloaded and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I wanted to first check that the Toshiba would be OK with Windows 10, so I did not buy an...
  10. Vista upgrade to Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Vista upgrade to Windows10: Hey guys i have a friend with an old laptop running Vista what is the best way to upgrade it to W10 ?? Can i upgrade to W7 then on to W10 ? Or is there another way without buying W10 ? I checked to see if it would run W10 and it's processor and stuff will ! Any answers...