Windows 10: Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Discus and support Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer? Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ukmexicano, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer?

Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to download and upgrade my windows 7 pro, unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly as I had hoped it would!

It downloaded ok and also installed, as far as I could tell, then it rebooted. That is when it sort of went ka-ka *Smile
    It restarted with the 4 window "panes" and the revolving dots, then a pop up window said something like " Change resolution to 1920 x 1080 (which is already the default) and then the screen went black!
    The pc was still on and so was the light on my optical mouse. I left it for 3 hours thinking that it was still doing something, but nothing.

I then decided to do a new install with the Windows 10 that I downloaded to disk on Sunday.
    This idea didn't work either because it wouldn't start the setup!

So I gave up and restored Windows 7 which I backed up before starting all this *Smile

I am on an HP Desktop Tower HP dc5800 with a Radeon X700/V550 graphics card.

Sorry it is so long.

:)

ukmexicano, Aug 4, 2015
  2. NickSteel Win User

Query on Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro on Windows 7 Pro PC.

Original Title: Windows 7 Pro (from MS upgrade key) to Windows 10 Pro - Clean Install

My Gateway NV7923U X64 came with Windows 7 Home installed.

I purchased an upgrade key from MS and upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and then do a clean install.

• Will my existing upgraded Windows 7 Pro now upgrade to Windows 10 Pro automatically, or do I need to perform additional steps?
    • Will I be able to do a clean install and have Windows 10 Pro after upgrading?

NickSteel, Aug 4, 2015
  3. windows 10 upgrade stops abuptly at 23% with the error message: C1900101-30018

I am trying to upgrade my Dell latitude E6420 laptop from windows 7 Pro to windows 10 Pro and having **** of a time!

The windows 10 downloads easily; but during the installation/upgrading phase, it stops abuptly at 23% with the error message:

C1900101-30018. I even tried to clean instal it and failed! Any help will be appreciated.

Anthony2016, Aug 4, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Is your graphic internal or external ? And if its external can you load the system without your card and just use onboard graphic ? If so ? I would take that options and see how it goes afterwards I would try reinstalling Radeon X700/V550 graphics card and you want to check if they have your driver for 10 for that card .... Also, if you do as I said you're going to first uninstall the Radeon X700/V550 graphics card driver before doing anything

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  5. AMD hasn't put out drivers for their x-series in years! I would seriously doubt there are any Windows 10 drivers.

Mark Phelps, Aug 4, 2015
  6. It's an internal PCI card sn00ker, and you're right Mark, AMD won't be releasing any Windows 10 drivers for my card. The latest update I have is 2009! I did uninstall the Radeon driver before I tried the upgrade and denied Windows 10 to download updates, just in case it tried to download the Radeon drivers again, before the upgrade was done. I can't use the onboard graphics because it died ages ago, that is why I got this cheap graphics card. I didn't need an expensive card because don't play games on it.

ukmexicano, Aug 4, 2015
  7. sn00ker Win User
    By the sound of it its external card . If your card is that old I would uninstall the driver and try to install 10 without card driver, let windows take care of it ... See if that will work

It seem your card does have compatibility issues with windows 8 and now 10 . You might want to view site below

Code: [GUIDE]How to install Old ATI Radeon Cards on Windows 8/8.1/10

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

You're right sn00ker, it is an external card, that is what I meant to say in my previous post. And it probably isn't compatible with Windows 10. I guess I will just have to suffer with Windows 7 *Smile until I decide to spend some dough on a new pc!

ukmexicano, Aug 5, 2015
  9. sn00ker Win User
    Take a look at the website I just added

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Thanks sn00ker. Card isn't compatible. I'll try and find a cheap card on ebay tomorrow. Need my sleep. *Smile

ukmexicano, Aug 5, 2015
  11. sn00ker Win User
    I'm curious what type of windows 7 do you have, Retail, OEM or Upgrade ? You might want to get a newer comp for 10 ... It just a thought

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  12. It was my card. I just removed it from the MB as there wasn't any way of disabling it from the BIOS. It seems the integrated card was still working. So now I have a new FREE OS on my very old machine! *Smile But I still want to buy a cheap graphics card so I don't have to use the integrated one.
    Thanks for the help guys *Smile

ukmexicano, Aug 5, 2015
  13. sn00ker Win User

Glad to hear . Have fun with a free 10 *Smile

sn00ker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade clean install

2. upgrading windows 7 pro to windows 10 install fails at 72%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading windows 7 pro to windows 10 install fails at 72%: Repeated fail whilst installing.Goes through:Getting a few things ready; What do you want to do Upgrade this PC now; Downloading Windows 10; Verifying your download; Creating Windows 10 media; Checking your PC;Getting updates; Making sure you're ready to install; Making sure...
  3. upgrading windows 7 pro to windows 10 install fails at 72%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading windows 7 pro to windows 10 install fails at 72%: Repeated fail whilst installing.Goes through:Getting a few things ready; What do you want to do Upgrade this PC now; Downloading Windows 10; Verifying your download; Creating Windows 10 media; Checking your PC;Getting updates; Making sure you're ready to install; Making sure...
  4. upgrading windows 7 pro to windows 10 install fails at 72%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro meaning clean installation of windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro meaning clean installation of windows 10 ?: If i install on my pc windows 7 pro and then upgrading to windows 10 pro does it like a clean windows 10 installation ?The reason is that i installed new clean windows 10 installation but since then i can't play battlefield bad company 2 it crash after the logo and there is...
  6. Upgrading from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro meaning clean installation of windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro meaning clean installation of windows 10 ?: If i install on my pc windows 7 pro and then upgrading to windows 10 pro does it like a clean windows 10 installation ?The reason is that i installed new clean windows 10 installation but since then i can't play battlefield bad company 2 it crash after the logo and there is...
  7. Upgrading from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro meaning clean installation of windows 10 ?

8. Upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro fails

Upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro fails: When running the upgrade process for the above, from a Microsoft supplied USB key, the process is failing with error code 0xC1900101-0x30017 FIRST_BOOT. At 27% of the update process. I've updated the display drivers and run the win 7 update tool to check as per advice pages....
  9. 7 Ultimate Upgrade to 10 Pro followed by clean install.

7 Ultimate Upgrade to 10 Pro followed by clean install.: I upgraded my wife's PC from 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro skipping the Product Key input screens. The 10 Pro activated. I then clean installed 10 Pro skipping the Product Key input screens and it activated. Interesting fact, the clean install didn't show the roundy thingy progress...
  10. 10 upgrade failed, clean installed 7 but now cant upgrade again.

10 upgrade failed, clean installed 7 but now cant upgrade again.: Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked ok but next day system...