Windows 10: Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar

Discus and support Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've seen lots of people posting about this all over the internet but as of yet not found a clear fix to my problem. I registered for the upgrade a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by botty1963, Aug 5, 2015.

1. botty1963 Win User

Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar

I've seen lots of people posting about this all over the internet but as of yet not found a clear fix to my problem. I registered for the upgrade a while ago and the 'check' said that my system was fine. It's a HP TouchSmart 520 and is 2 to 3 years old.

Today I got the message saying that I could do the upgrade and all seemed to go well, no errors throughout the installation. However, as soon as one of the users logs on the desktop just flashes and you can't access anything other than ctrl-alt-del and the task manager.

I've tried booting into safe mode and trying a windows update (boots in safe mode with no flashing) but it finds nothing, and I've looked on the HP website to see if there is a W10 driver. It gives you a file to download which should check for drivers but that doesn't run in safe mode so a non-starter. And if I use the HP website it basically says that you need to use the windows update; which just sits there doing nothing.

If I go into device manager and try to do an update it says that the graphics driver is up to date. I am a bit hacked off that the HP website suggests that it's a product that's not been tested with W10, but the Microsoft check said all ok. Please help *cry

:)

botty1963, Aug 5, 2015

2. Desktop and taskbar flashing

Hi Ben,

Since the steps provided did not resolve the issue, let's sort this out by checking if this is a driver issue.

Try to
    reinstall your drivers manually
    and update us with the results.

Arnold Fra, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Ben Vinck Win User
    Desktop and taskbar flashing

Hello,

Since nothing seemed to work I decided to do a clean install of Windows. A couple of months have passed and the problem hasn't come up again. This seems like the only solution.

I'm just leaving this message here so other people who might have the problem see this.

Ben Vinck, Aug 5, 2015
  4. botty1963 Win User

Problem sorted, a reply on the Microsoft forum resolved the issue. I downloaded the Norton removal tool (Norton had been mentioned as a possible cause) and removed it all - and now PC works fine. Now to contact Norton as I'd just paid the coming year's subscription!

botty1963, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrade and now flashing desktop/taskbar - Similar Threads - Upgrade flashing desktop

2. Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.: Earlier today I upgraded my Lenovo 2021 laptop to windows 11 from windows 10 and now when I log in and enter the background with the taskbar nothing shows besides the windows 10 style taskbar and an arrow pointing up on it with several apps on it that I can open.The only...
  3. taskbar flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    taskbar flashing: My taskbar has been flashing for 2 days. Had tried running sfc/scannow, cleaned up temporary files, checked the driver update, uninstall it but none worked. Tried dism.exe, not working too. I wonder what's the problem :...
  4. Flashing Desktop taskbar and Windows can't restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flashing Desktop taskbar and Windows can't restart: Since it will inevitably get suggested, I will mention that yes I have tried NUMEROUS times of doing a clean driver install using DDU. I unplugged the LAN and everything. That doesn't fix the issues. Booting into safe mode doesn't really change anything either. Although I...
  5. Desktop Black and Taskbar Flashing after Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop Black and Taskbar Flashing after Update: Hello! Over the past few months I've been having a really annoying issue. One day when I logged in to my computer, the Desktop was black and the taskbar was flashing. I was really surprised because the lock screen looked perfectly normal so I thought it was weird. I could...
  6. Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP

Flashing taskbar and inoperative desktop. PLEASE HELP: Hey community, im having to make this from my phone as my computer is completly unusable right now and i need serious help. I bought some new ram today 2x16 and when i logged in with the new ram this issue started happening. I have tried running my pc in safe mode with...
  7. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  8. Flashing taskbar grey desktop background

Flashing taskbar grey desktop background: I had a temp account i got logged into after a bsod so i found a tutorial that said delete the temp account file and change the bak at the end of my user to nothing and then log back in but now it it gives me a grey background with a flashing taskbar. Any help? Thanks...
  9. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...
  10. Taskbar and Desktop Flashing After Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and Desktop Flashing After Upgrade: I just updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now my computer starts flashing out of no where. The taskbar and the desktop starts flashing. When this happens I can not do anything. When it stops, I can not use the start button. I do not know what to do. *Sad 10876