Windows 10: Upgrade CPU

Discus and support Upgrade CPU in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I wish to upgrade my CPU. Can I upgrade my CPU in Windows 10? If so, how do I do it? Thanks 62438 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Inet, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Inet Win User

Upgrade CPU

Hi
    I wish to upgrade my CPU. Can I upgrade my CPU in Windows 10? If so, how do I do it?
    Thanks

:)

Inet, Sep 2, 2016
  2. bouncer80 Win User

upgrade CPU

my internet speed is 1.5GB

I connect to internet via Wi-Fi

I have a second computer connected to the internet through the same router and it works just fine

ram memory is 4.00GB

hard drive free 388GB

my processor is AMDE1-1200 with radon HD

graphics 1.40 GB

all drivers are up to date

antivirus is avast pro

scanned for malware and virus and found none

Hope this helps,

John.

bouncer80, Sep 2, 2016
  3. bouncer80 Win User
    upgrade CPU

If I upgrade my CPU from AMD1.40 Ghz. Will this speedup my computer on the internet? My computer is very slow on internet and programs I have installed on my computer.

bouncer80, Sep 2, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Upgrade CPU

Please clarify.

You want to swap in a new CPU chip? You wish to replace your whole system? (Some people call the whole PC box the "cpu".)

bobkn, Sep 2, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    +1 on what Bob said ...we need way more information and please fill in your system specs

KB

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
  6. A x86 CPU processor upgrade is highly dependent on bang for the $$$ ,mainboard wattage,mainboard chipset and drivers ,cooling , CPU socket and BIOS compatibilities and restrictions .

PC Windows 10 will operate most modern PC X86 CPU processors just fine .

OTOH sometimes a ram upgrade (and usually an SSD upgrade or both ) can yield better end results depending on the variables ofc.
    A 4 core vs 2 core and so on is a plausible CPU upgrade except when comparing an Intel 2 core Core i3 or 4 core i5 or multicore hyperthreading Intel Core -i7 to an AMD with twice as many inefficient cores where the similar but usually costlier Intel product will almost invariably perform better all around with half the cores on most workloads *really..

CPU .
    Upgrade CPU [​IMG]
    PC
    Upgrade CPU [​IMG]

electronuser, Sep 2, 2016
  7. Inet Win User
    Ok. Done.

Inet, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Inet Win User

Upgrade CPU

No. In my country CPU is processor, PC is the set of all the components.
    I want to know just about the processor. Will I have to register first with a Microsoft account, or can I just replace the processor? It's the same chip ( I5 4690 for I3 4160 )
    And I take the opportunity to ask also if I can connect other internal HD to the board just to store files, keeping the original Hard Drive. I read elsewhere that in doing so the license was disabled. Is it true?

Inet, Sep 3, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Sep 3, 2016
  10. bobkn Win User
    According to MSI, the I5-4690 is compatible with the motherboard, although you may have to update the BIOS before swapping it in.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/suppo...ml#support-cpu

I have no personal experience with it, but I believe that upgrading the processor or the hard disks should not affect activation. If by some chance it does, you ought to be able to activate by telephone.

bobkn, Sep 3, 2016
  11. OTOH if its an OEM PC manufacturer motherboard you probably can't exceed its maximum OEM CPU options CPU wattage specification due to OEM BIOS whitelisting to protect the mainboard within its limitations ...you should check that against a new CPU in any case even in the same *exact CPU family e.g., Haswell for Haswell or FX for FX etc. ...............don't ask me how I know this *sarc

OTOH if it works and the BIOS is compatible it's plug and play and you're good to go and it won't affect your windows activation. I've done all this more than once on windows 10 and before that *really

electronuser, Sep 6, 2016
  12. Done both upgrades several times in win 10 and long before that ,no Windows 10 activation issues and the new activation troubleshooter in the AU and these win beta's betas will often get you a few mainboards without a groveling phone call to MS.

Only time I had to use the new activation troubleshooter was moving a prev. used ,reconfigured clean SSD into this PC and installing 14390 in this new dual booting PC in the spec's on it . I just told it what I thought it wanted to hear and it was fine the MS A.I. seems to work OK for all that *092

electronuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade CPU

1. Upgrade CPU - Similar Threads - Upgrade CPU

2. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  3. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  4. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade: My pc is runing slow and crashing after installing a new cpu I went from a i5 8400 to a i7 9700k I have a z730xp sli motherboard and I also updated to bios to f12 for the new cpu. After it did that I switch the cpu back to the i5 and it did the same thing it was doing with...
  6. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade: My pc is runing slow and crashing after installing a new cpu I went from a i5 8400 to a i7 9700k I have a z730xp sli motherboard and I also updated to bios to f12 for the new cpu. After it did that I switch the cpu back to the i5 and it did the same thing it was doing with...
  7. Pc crashing and running slow after cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. upgraded pc mobo and cpu change now W11 will not activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgraded pc mobo and cpu change now W11 will not activate: OK so I upgraded from win10 to win11 about 12 months or so ago so my account has a 'digital licence' but I've just made a major upgrade on my mb cpu ram and gpu am4 to am5 and now windows just will not activate. I'm signed in to my account, the digital licence is associated...
  9. upgraded pc mobo and cpu change now W11 will not activate

upgraded pc mobo and cpu change now W11 will not activate: OK so I upgraded from win10 to win11 about 12 months or so ago so my account has a 'digital licence' but I've just made a major upgrade on my mb cpu ram and gpu am4 to am5 and now windows just will not activate. I'm signed in to my account, the digital licence is associated...
  10. after a CPU upgrade i cannot connect a controller or my Seagate expansion before i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after a CPU upgrade i cannot connect a controller or my Seagate expansion before i...: plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-a-cpu-upgrade-i-cannot-connect-a-controller/d7526bb0-5253-4c89-a95b-2234989ffdca