Windows 10: Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

Discus and support Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10 as I planned to use the weekend to sort out any issues I might encounter during the upgrade. Well boy did I ever. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Enigmatica, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 as I planned to use the weekend to sort out any issues I might encounter during the upgrade. Well boy did I ever. My Seagate 3TB drive decided it no longer wanted to be recognized by Windows anymore. It shows up as a failed/deactivated drive in Disk Management as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/5EOU4Jf.png It also shows up in Speccy as a physical drive. I currently have 2TB of data on there (including an OS image I did just before the upgrade as an extra prep step), so reformatting the volume is not an option until I get the data off.

Any advice on how to recover my data?

:)

Enigmatica, Jul 31, 2015

2. Windows no longer recognizes second internal hard drive

Why is it both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 no longer recognize a second internal hard drive?

Previously in both my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PC’s, I had an internal second drive connected in each PC and both worked quite well. In the case of the Windows 8.1 PC, I used to use the second internal drive to do system image backups and the second
    internal hard drive in the Windows 10 PC as a File History drive.

But now, in both PC’s, the internal second drives are no longer being recognized. Both File History and System Image backup now only work when drives are connected externally.

If the second hard drives are connected internally, this error message comes up : "Operating system not found" on the Windows 8.1 PC and "no usable hard drives found" for File History on the Windows 10 PC.

Surely that should not be the case? What could be the cause?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

graham2014, Jul 31, 2015
  3. margiris Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade no longer sees external hard drive

My PC was forcibly upgraded to Windows 10. Preparing for an off line backup I plugged my external hard drive that I always use in to the PC and it is no longer recognized by my computer though windows 10 still chimes when the device is plugged into the
    PC. While it does not recognize the USB connected hard drive it is still able to access old USB sticks. I bought a new external hard drive and that also is not recognized by this PC. My laptop that I bought with Windows 10 installed recognizes both the
    old external Hard Drive and the New one.

margiris, Jul 31, 2015
  4. brarob Win User

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

brarob, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Airman29 Win User
    This definitely is an emerging problem, and it appears to be confined to large hard drives.
    My 64-bit Win 7 machine had two hard drives:
    Hitachi HDS721075KLA330 (Boot Drive)
    Seagate ST4000DM000 (4 TB data drive)
    This config worked very well in Win 7. When I upgraded to Win 10, BIOS still recognized the 4 TB drive, but Win 10 did not. I spent hours troubleshooting, and finally got Disk Management to see the 4 TB drive, but it reported it as 2 TB RAW, though I know for sure it was formatted 4 TB NTFS.
    No matter which of the four parallel ports I plugged the 4 TB drive into, it would not work.
    Fearful that I had lost my data, I installed the 4 TB drive into another computer (Win 7), and all the data was there, and it was clearly formatted NTFS.
    I then installed a 2 TB Hitachi hard drive in the Win 10 machine. Same problem, and this time Disk Management would not see either drive, even after waiting 45 minutes.
    Finally, I installed a 750 MB drive in the Win 10 machine, and it an very well. Unfortunately, I need the data on my 4 TB hard drive, so it looks like I might have to reinstall Win 7 until Microsoft fixes this.
    So, it seems very clear that Win 10 cannot handle large hard drives, at least in my particular hardware configuration.

Airman29, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Skalli Win User
    Did you try flashing your BIOS? Just in case you don't have the latest version.

Skalli, Aug 3, 2015
  7. cyberSAR Win User
    Had this occur recently with a seagate 4tb but don't remember the OS having trouble with it (7, 8.1 or 10). Took the drive to my machine and it was recognized properly. I backed it up then ran diskpart clean. Took it to the machine having trouble and used disk management to create the volume and all 4 TB were recognized and it worked fine thereafter.

cyberSAR, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Airman29 Win User

Thanks for your response. My BIOS has no newer version. The 4TB drive works very well with Win 7 and Win 8.1, but when I install it in a Win 10 machine, no joy! Disk Management hangs endlessly and can't find it.
    Same for a 2TB drive I also tried in this machine.

Airman29, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Similar issue here, I have two of the same computers - installed Windows 10 on both. I have all kinds of drives attached to both via USB 3.0 On one computer everything works fine, on the other it will not recognize a 1TB external drive. It's not listed in Disk Management or anywhere. I've unplugged/replugged, tried different ports, restarted, etc it just doesn't see it. I have plugged it into my other computer and it pops right up. I don't understand this and it's a big headache.

theconformist, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Skalli Win User
    Hey again,

I just remembered something when I was posting in another forum.
    Take a look into that KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

See this:
    So, waiting might be the best option right now.

Skalli, Aug 4, 2015
  11. Okay guys a bit of a late update. Been busy and almost forgot I posted here. I did solve my issue but it involved having to purchase Seagate's data recovery software (which recognized my seagate 3tb drive), a 2nd 3tb HDD, and dumping the 'recovered' data onto the 2nd 3tb HDD. After that was finished, I re-formatted my old seagate drive as a GPT NTFS drive which allowed it to be recognized as one 3tb logical drive. The result now is that I do have a second 3tb drive (making my total storage space 7.75tb) although I did have to spend almost $300 for all of this.

I really hope Windows 10 can figure out a way to fix this issue for future upgraders who run into the same issue. Not everyone can just go out and buy another 3tb hard drive.

Enigmatica, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Airman29 Win User
    Microsoft sent out a big update to Windows 10 last night. Win 10 now recognizes my 4 TB hard drive, so all is well
    Thanks to those of you who responded to this thread.

Airman29, Aug 7, 2015
  13. furd Win User

Same thing with my 750 gb WD HDD.. It did recognize it on my laptop, i gave it to my gf to put some files on it for me from her desktop running windows 10 also.. When i got the HDD back, windows 10 on laptop doesnt recognize it...wtf.
    I also had set windows back up to this drive...Could that have something to do with it?

14. tomwho7 Win User
    All drives 1TB and older for me. My Paragon drive management can't even find then. Had a drive slightly under 1 Tb that showed up in "System" and on Paragon but 1 Tb is a nogo. 3 different drive manufacturers, 2 PCs.

tomwho7, Jan 25, 2016
  15. DawgPoP Win User
    I just fought a similar problem, hard drive showed up in disk manager(correct file size, but no file system or drive letter associated) and could not use the drive and nowhere did I find the easy solution that fixed it for me...

Uninstall paragon hfs+. Download it again(even if it's the same version, i'm on 9.1) Reinstall paragon hfs+.

I think what this does is get rid of the crappy windows 10 drivers and uses the Seagate ones. I'm not 100% sure but after 3 days of reading stories of people formatting/ buying new hard drives and transferring I thought I would try a few things myself. BTW my seagate backup plus for mac is formatted as an NTFS, which is why i thought doing what I did was stupid.

DawgPoP, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized. - Similar Threads - Upgrade Hard drive

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?: Hello everybody! I have exchanged my SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD, I also have 2TB HDDs. With the SATA SSD everything worked fine, when I switched to the NVME, the HDD harddisks were not recognized anymore, I will find them in the Bios in the Disk Manager. Even when I didn't...
  5. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.: Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive....
  6. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  7. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  8. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...
  9. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  10. Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.: I upgraded my Dell Insperion from Win 7-64 to Win 10 home 64, and it no longer sees my 2nd internal hard drive. I tried a scan in device manager but it did not help. Any advice? 97524