Windows 10: Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Discus and support Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Let's not go off topic, please. If I understand the OP's situation correctly............................ The OP had a laptop stolen. It has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pcuaron, Jan 28, 2016.

1. sn00ker Win User

Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Have you ever had a software stolen from you? I had my XP key stolen once from me. I called MS about it and they just flagged my key and gave me a new set . Now whether MS still does this pcuaron should call them and see if they'll do like wise. If they do, then pcuaron will once again be able to get 10 pro.

PS: I also had other software stolen. All I did was to have them flagged, which is what people should do with stolen software, why give the crooks a freebie

sn00ker, Jan 29, 2016
  2. DavidY Win User

I know it's slightly off topic, but just to correct this - you don't need a TPM to use Bitlocker. See this Tutorial on how to do it:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
    I use Bitlocker on a computer from around 2006.
    (It wouldn't have helped with the SSD problem though.)

Also, you don't need always the Pro version of Windows to enable encryption. If you have a computer which supports the 'InstantGo' specifications (which are admittedly quite stringent - the OS drive must be a non-spinning disk for instance, and Secure Boot must be enabled) then Device Encryption will be there in Windows Home.

Edit: If you to to a command prompt on your new laptop, and type
    Code: powercfg/a[/quote] what does it say? Does it include anything about 'Connected' standby or similar?

DavidY, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Superfly Win User
    OEM keys are are tied to the originally activated device - Retail keys can be transferred to another ( the EULA requires it to be uninstalled prior - not possible in this case, obviously) but the activation server does not check that.
    The OP can thus activate a 2nd PC with the original retail key of the same edition.

Superfly, Jan 29, 2016
  4. sn00ker Win User

So by your logic anyone with a retail version can do like wise over and over and over, which is wrong. If a person gets their key flagged by MS those key will be useless once whom ever try to do a re installation it wouldn't get activated again. I would like to see how this will turn out since windows 10 is different ( free ) . I wonder if MS still can deactivated a pc that's been activated . I would imagine they can

sn00ker, Jan 29, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    It's not my logic, it's been tried and tested. MS has tolerances built into activation...they must have their reasons for lack of enforcement by the activation server.
    Each key has a certain activation count on changed hardware which differs between full retail = most, upgrade = less and OEM = none.
    Like it or not, that's the way it is...

Superfly, Jan 29, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    First - a person is allowed to reuse and activate a retail product key over and over. That's in the EULA. So Microsoft has to allow repeated activations to comply with the EULA. What Microsoft does not do is require proof of removals for a grace period. There are many ways to remove the old OS. The drive can be wiped with a third party program. The hard drive can fail. The hard drive can be physically destroyed. So there is no guarantee that a specific routine to contact Microsoft activation servers to remove the activation would be run. In fact, in most situations, the user would likely not run such a routine when removing the old OS.

So, how about periodic contacting Microsoft by the computer to verify activation? For one thing, the EULA does not require a person to have an internet connection to run Windows. Second - what about when I take my personal computer on deployment on a ship for 9 months and I can't connect it to the internet? So that is non-starter.

Now - after a certain number of activations of the same product key in a certain period of time, Microsoft does require proof of removal before a new activation is granted. I have product keys like that. The proof of removal that Microsoft requires is for me to call them and tell the computer voice that I have that Windows installed on only one computer. This is also coming up on Windows 10 upgrades using manually entered Windows 7/8 product keys. The user gets a message that the product key is in use on another computer. In order to activate those they have to install Windows 7 or Windows 8. Call Microsoft and tell them it is installed on only one computer to activate the Windows 7 or 8. Then that Windows 7/8 product key can be used to activate Windows 10 on the same computer.

So what about remote deactivation? That would require a change to EULA that the user would have to agree to first. Again - public opinion. Think of the complaints MS would get if they even proposed requiring a user to agree to allow Microsoft to deactivate their Windows remotely. Not going to happen. There are security programs the user can install that allows them to remotely wipe their computer after the trigger is pulled and the target computer connects to the internet.

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    This is the EULA/End User License Agreement on my Win10 Pro Retail that was Upgraded from Win8.1 Pro back in the first week of August:
    Attachment 61617

Berton, Jan 29, 2016
  8. sn00ker Win User

@NavyLCDR ... You're missing the point . From Superfly quote he's saying you can use the original 8.0 retail license keys on a second computer because in pcuaron case he can't remove the original from his stolen pc . I'm saying than what stop one from doing it on a third or fourth computer or so on since we all know a license keys is tied to one PC and yes a retail version can be used over and over on the same one PC or a transferable PC but again only on one PC at one time not on a second or third or fourth system . Again, if one calls MS and tell them that their PC has be stolen with their retail keys MS will flagged those keys and provide you new keys marking the original keys as useless . So whom took the PC and ever tries to do a reinstallation that person will realize those keys wouldn't get accepted and windows wouldn't activated. This is how it was for me with XP . I know I try using my original license keys once just see what would happen and it didn't work. Now, whether if MS has changed this rule I don't know but if Pcuaron calls MS he will know for sure. As for remote deactivation? Again I'm not referring to what you're thinking. I'm more less saying a person could use activated non legit windows 7/8/8.1 system and upgrade to Windows 10. Once it gets activated with W10 we all know then you can do a clean install, will it stay activated? Also, if one is able to reuse their retail keys of 7/8/8.1 on a second or third or fourth computer while still having it on the original system and upgrades all to W10, then gets activated for all . This were I'm saying MS can probably deactivated those systems

sn00ker, Jan 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm not missing any point. What Microsoft physically ALLOWS to happen with product keys, and what is legal for the user to do with product keys are two entirely different situations. Microsoft will never put measures in place to ensure strict compliance with the EULA regarding using product keys because to do so would place hindrances to their legal use that customers would complain greatly about. That's what Superfly and I are saying. It's a completely different statement to say something can't be done and saying it isn't legal to do so.

Sure, the OP can call Microsoft and report his laptop as stolen and the product key associated with the upgrade to Pro. However, Microsoft is in no way legally obligated to replace the stolen product key. As far as the legality of reusing the product key by the lawful owner after it has been stolen by a criminal - I edited the procedure to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro with a Windows 8 Pro upgrade product key to reflect the disagreement that we have.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  3. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  4. Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license: My current computer has an activated Windows 10 Pro retail license. I'm planning to replace my current computer by buying a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows 11 Home, and then I understand I can use my 10 Pro license to upgrade to 11 Pro for free.What's the...
  5. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  6. Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring a Windows 10 Home Retail license upgraded to Pro through the Microsoft Store: I have a Windows 10 Home Retail product key purchased through NewEgg which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store which I want to transfer to a new machine including the Pro upgrade. I read several posts here which suggest there is no problem doing this and...
  7. Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability

Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability: Hello, I purchased an upgrade license from Home to Pro on my laptop. I recently purchased a new laptop that also came with Windows Home. Am I able to transfer the upgrade license from previous laptop to this new laptop? Thank you in advance for your help!...
  8. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  9. Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail: As the subject line states... I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME retail to PRO retail. I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text...
  10. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.: I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same OS drive during the upgrade. I'd been running windows 7 until a few years ago until I accepted the free upgrade to windows 10,...