Windows 10: Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key

Discus and support Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there I notice when looking at the key after installing the W10 upgrade from an old TechNet W8.1 system there are TWO keys OEM Key (which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key

Hi there

I notice when looking at the key after installing the W10 upgrade from an old TechNet W8.1 system there are TWO keys

OEM Key (which is the old TechNet key) and Installed key which is the W10 generic key.

If you do a clean install don't enter any key again or you'll lose activation.

Use the vbs script shown in earlier threads to get the keys.

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015

2. technet professional windows 7 ultimate upgrade to windows 10

follow-on question to this topic:

I have been a bona-fide TechNet subscriber (until the door closed on TechNet) - and I am still running a PC on a TechNet W8.1 license. When I attempt to upgrade to W10 via a media stick, it asks for a product key.

Does this mean that TechNet keys are not, indeed, full permanent licenses (or - at least - are limited to the original version, with no upgrade path)?

HansMosberg, Jul 31, 2015
  3. zantek78 Win User
    Windows 10 "remove everything" made Asus Vivotab Note 8 go into a BSOD "inaccessible_boot_device", completely BRICKED!

Thanks for your experience!

How can you solve the matter about the Windows key?

I've installed W10 but it doesn't accept my Key of W8.1 (recovered from UEFI) so it's useless...

I would Reinstall W8.1 to put my Key and upgrade to W10 again...

The problem is that, if i create a bootable USB with W8.1, i cannot access to the BIOS and i don't understand why!

I will try to erase all partition, "hoping" that the system "forget" W10 and accept W8.1...

it's a crazy situations...

- i have the activation key for W8.1

- the system don't let me to install W8.1

- W10 doesn't accept the key (even if for upgrade was OK)

I've upgraded the system because i was confident about MS quality, but the process for upgrade is really buggy!!!

zantek78, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key

1. Upgrade from Old technet W8.1 TWO keys shown - OEM and Installed Key - Similar Threads - Upgrade Old technet

2. OEM keys from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM keys from Microsoft: Hello, I’m starting a small business as a system integrator and was wondering how I can get OEM keys from Microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-keys-from-microsoft/a6a71584-77a4-461b-a972-29aa5d87e063
  3. OEM keys from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM keys from Microsoft: Hello, I’m starting a small business as a system integrator and was wondering how I can get OEM keys from Microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-keys-from-microsoft/a6a71584-77a4-461b-a972-29aa5d87e063
  4. New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10: Hi, this one is tricky. I had this same key since W7. Bought the update to W8. And in 2015/2016 I've got a free update to W10. I had to sell my computer 2 years ago. I have saved the key but it's wasn't upgraded since it had a updater software. If I'm not mistaken, when I...
  5. Upgrade with OEM key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade with OEM key: Hello! I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with an OEM key for a while and it hasn't been working. I saw somewhere to use a defaultWindows 10 Pro key, but the one they provided would not work. Please help. Thanks in advance!...
  6. Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.: My windows 10 has been acting funny for a while, its running on an ssd but still feels sluggish. I'm hoping a fresh windows install and drivers will help it feel brand new again. My question is, can I use my current key again? I have an OEM key which has been activated. Is...
  7. Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old Technet ISOs - Keys becoming not valid ?????: Hi there I tried re-installing Windows 8.1 Enterprise that I downloaded from TechNet during my subscription --it's the VL multiple activation one. The Keys don't activate it any more -- I've only activated it about 3 times and it IS a VL one with Multiple activations...
  8. Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade

Old unused Technet Keys You MUST activate product first before upgrade: Hi there (@Mods -- wrong Section - please move to Windows activation) If you have a load of old unused TechNet keys then doing a Clean install and entering any of these keys WON'T WORK. You need unfortunately to install the product (W7/W8/W8.1), activate (those...
  9. Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys

Old Technet keys still valid for W10 installs -you can still get keys: Hi folks If anybody was a member of the old TechNet system and have keys from those days -- W7 / W8 /W8.1 keys are still valid to be used for W10 installs. If you haven't got your keys or lost them you can still logon (use your Microsoft ID) and get your keys -- export...
  10. Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys)

Free upgrade still working (old technet Keys): Hi there I created some Windows images on different machines this morning (30 Jul 10:56 local time) -- still activating W10 --using old keys from my Technet subcription. If you've got some keys left and some machines grab the Free upgrade while it's still working...